Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Thresher Shark Questions

I would like to know what the general opinions are amongst BWE members and kayak fishermen about catching thresher sharks.

1. Do they taste good?

2. Is this a common local fish, or are they part of the spectacular fishing conditions we've been enjoying for the past few years?

3. How long does it take our local species to grow into the 150-200 pound range?

4. Is it possible to sell the fins locally for shark fin soup?

5. Does anyone process the skin into leather?

I would appreciate hearing the opinions of others about catching this fish for their dinner table.

I also want to respect the sanctity of nature and I want to understand the sustainability of our fisheries, and of rebuilding the magnificent sea life ecology that once existed here.

According to Wikipedia, thresher sharks are "highly vulnerable to over-fishing" because their fecundity is naturally low (ability to reproduce.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thresher_shark

Gestation is 9 months, and usually results in 2-4 pups. West Coast thresher sharks live up to 50 years.

Eastern Central Pacific (That's us)
Reported landings in the drift gillnet fishery for this species that developed off the west coast of the USA in the late 1970s, collapsed from a peak of 1,089.5 t in 1982 to less than 300 t by the late 1980s (decline of ~70%). This fishery was effectively eliminated by restrictions on the use of gill nets by 1990, and the population began to slowly recover to just below 50% of the initial subpopulation size. The Common Thresher Shark is still caught as bycatch or as a secondary target, although to a far lesser extent, of the swordfish gillnet fishery. It is clear that the species depends on adequate management measures, and would otherwise be at risk of overfishing. All this considered, the species is assessed as Near Threatened in this region based on significant population declines, which are now managed in US waters.
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/39339/0

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-06-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Maybe....
Old 05-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
I would like to know what the general opinions are amongst BWE members and kayak fishermen about catching thresher sharks.

1. Do they taste good?

Well, let me answer a question with a question. Do you think or like tacos de tripa, or menudo? What about buche?

2. Is this a common local fish, or are they part of the spectacular fishing conditions we've been enjoying for the past few yearse?

No, they are not local fish. Here's what I read on TMZ.....one day, a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away there lived a Princess. Wait. wait. wait......that wrong story.

3. How long does it take our local species to grow into the 150-200 pound range?

a gazilion years

4. Is it possible to sell the fins locally for shark fin soup?

I don't know but if you decide to sell it let us know how much you were paid.

5. Does anyone process the skin into leatheres?

yes, I have a thresher belt.

I would appreciate hearing the opinions of others about catching this fish for their dinner table.

hope you enjoyed my opinion

I also want to respect the sanctity of nature and I want to understand the sustainability of our fisheries, and of rebuilding the magnificent sea life ecology that once existed here.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Well, let me answer a question with a question. Do you think or like tacos de tripa, or menudo? What about buche?
Are you saying thresher shark is nothing special on it's own merits?

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-07-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Are you saying thresher shark is nothing special on it's own merits?
Maybe....

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
pingpangdang

Here is footage taken in 2013...if I'm not mistaken this is the first time a thresher was actually filmed using it's tail to stun prey(don't quote me)...I think it was assumed prior to the filming. I think BBC shot this footage in the PI.

These are some cool sharks...

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/lHoCCPsRuhg
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
Mahigeer

If you want to sell fish. Any fish, do you have a commercial fishing license to do it legally?

They are fun to catch though.

A bait under a big bobber is the rig of choice.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
2. Is this a common local fish, or are they part of the spectacular fishing conditions we've been enjoying for the past few years?
IMO its a sign of coming back to normal. They were scarce here in that 75+F water.

Very common. They like greener water w lots of bait and are often on top active on the slack tide. Ive caught over 100 and killed 2 --both off Laguna. One was planned and the other was suicide. It ran straight down into the mud like a dart and died in 300+ft. Winched it up and it was muddy to the pecs. I just see them as time bandits now and avoid or bust them off asap.

Im on the side of too much work. No one plans ahead to take a 200# fish on a yak w enough ice to chill it. Then it takes all damn day (and a ton of ice and a cooler/box to hold it) to get a dressed thresher cold to fillet. Its a disservice IMO if you dont treat it right. Enjoy it if you do. But dont drive it in the bed of the truck for an hour then fillet it and expect good results.

I do wish I had vid of all the cool feeders and freejumpers over the years though. One of the best I remember was a med size one up on plane w its motor going full speed like those SE Asian long-shaft outboards. It went so long w its head up making whitewater. Psycho.

$0.04
Old 05-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #9
FullFlavorPike

I just baked some New England style. Topped the steaks with a mixture of chopped shrimp, parsley, shallot, garlic, and ritz cracker crumbs. Splashed a little sherry in the baking pan, baked at 350 till done. Very good.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote