Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
layzeefisherman
Junior

Advice on a new kayak?

Hi! I am new to this sport. I did a lot of research in finding the right one. My friend and i want to get a fishing kayak, but the problem is...should i get a tandem or a single person kayak? At first i was thinking to get a tandem, but i read a lot of post on this site saying that tandems arent really good if u want to catch yellowtails or wsb. Then i was thinking to get 2 single kayaks, but there is another problem...i have a 02 honda odyssey with factory crossbars, can i put 2 kayaks on top of my odyssey?<<

If i do get a single person kayak which one should i get? buget: around 2k for 2 kayaks; about 1k for each one.
layzeefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
FishFeeder
Junior

my vote: fish solo

fishing from a kayak can be tricky for one person with gear, can't imagine going tandem. and you will not always want to go together. heck, coordinating two people fishing in a canoe was no fun, a kayak would be worse. unless you're taking your kid out and need to be in the same boat, solve the transport problem somehow, but go solo, you'll enjoy it more.
FishFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
layzeefisherman
Junior

i'll try..
Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Yes, you can get rack systems that allow you to stand 1 or 2 yaks on their side supported by your factory racks.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
danny
Danny

I saw a guy in mexico with 5 kayaks on a civic.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
layzeefisherman
Junior

So How does this work? DO i have to buy a new rack system and place it on top of my factory rack or just get tie downs ? Any advice?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
Gino

dicks sporting goods has 2 super tough foam pads and coems with straps you can put it on any car $40 or use a factory rack store it upside down and use straps.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
danny
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
dicks sporting goods has 2 super tough foam pads and coems with straps you can put it on any car $40 or use a factory rack store it upside down and use straps.
dicks sold me a a kayak that was not sealed right, it took on water and i had to swim back a few miles. Lost a lot of gear and then they were dicks about it. I would not buy anything from them.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Gino

I wouldnt buy a yak from Dicks either, there selection sucks!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

There goes all the good that Dick's 50k monthly advertising budget had achieved. It always amazes me when an organization does things like this. Bad customer service will be remembered long after the memory of that splashy full page ad or some great deal you got at a sale.

Companies such as Costco, Nordstrom and Kohl's have gotten the message. It is no accident that they among the most successful businesses in their categories.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote