Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
octico

NPS with William Novotny and Fish

Went out with William Novotny and Fish, aka Brian. This was my first time EVER out on kayak ... and I think I did okay, but I will let Will comment on that.

Things started off a little dicey, I did not know my left from or right, starboard from fartboard. I eventually got the hang of it and we were off. Once I got used the struggles of fighting the wakes from boats the small confines of a kayak things went well. We got to where Will said the fish would be and BAM! Alot of small fish but we did manage a few good sized ones (Will said there were small). We did well fished until around 11AM, Fish stuck around looking for bass. I was like F-that this old man is tired! I cannot keep up with this young buck. Went home got a six pack of beer!

And now for the bling ....

This little bastard tried to drink my Ballast Point! WTH that's expensive beer ... OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
SmokinBass

Haha funny pic. Nice work.
SmokinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
tamddo714

nice work!
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Excellent first time out, always pays to have someone show you the ropes.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Excellent first time out, always pays to have someone show you the ropes.
Alan I could not agree with you more! This site has been such a great resource and great way to make new friends!
Old 03-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Loudog

Awesome! Sounds like Will is a cool guy. Willing to share his knowledge of fishing and the sport. That's one of the great things about BWE, so many people willing to help us newbies. Everytime I meet somebody on the water from BWE their always willing to help and share. Kudos to both of you!
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post
Awesome! Sounds like Will is a cool guy. Willing to share his knowledge of fishing and the sport. That's one of the great things about BWE, so many people willing to help us newbies. Everytime I meet somebody on the water from BWE their always willing to help and share. Kudos to both of you!
Will, cool? yes I'll second that, nice guy knows his stuff, always willing to share. AND a good artist too, check out his tattoos, at Bad Influence Tattoos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
cell128
lizard king

I'm brand new to kayak fishing anyone going out on Tuesday? I'm thinking of going to Newport Beach. I would appreciate some help to get me off my feet thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Loudog

:chee rs1:[QUOTE=makobob;188292]Will, cool? yes I'll second that, nice guy knows his stuff, always willing to share. AND a good artist too, check out his tattoos, at Bad Influence Tattoos.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I didn't have to show him much, haha. He smoked me on the rockfish count. Good job out there today. You will be cranking in trophy fish in no time (then you can teach me how to) I ended up with 4 hand size rockfish and a decent whitefish. Just a note on an observation from the day. We fished with 2 different squids from two different companies. One squid came from Walmart the other from San Pedro bait company. I've never know rf to be picky but they wouldn't touch the Walmart stuff today. I tried both brands and all fish were caught on the San Pedro bait. Just to add to and confirm wade's post from a few days ago. They really do have the freshest stuff around.

And Thanks Mako yer pretty cool too

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
I'm brand new to kayak fishing anyone going out on Tuesday? I'm thinking of going to Newport Beach. I would appreciate some help to get me off my feet thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Keep an eye on weather forecasts. If I'm not mistaken it might not be the best conditions mon/tues. If weather permits I'll be in lajolla. Otherwise I'd be down

Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
Loudog

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
I didn't have to show him much, haha. He smoked me on the rockfish count. Good job out there today. You will be cranking in trophy fish in no time (then you can teach me how to) I ended up with 4 hand size rockfish and a decent whitefish. Just a note on an observation from the day. We fished with 2 different squids from two different companies. One squid came from Walmart the other from San Pedro bait company. I've never know rf to be picky but they wouldn't touch the Walmart stuff today. I tried both brands and all fish were caught on the San Pedro bait. Just to add to and confirm wade's post from a few days ago. They really do have the freshest stuff around.

And Thanks Mako yer pretty cool too
Still cool your willing to share your own backyard, the Newps...
Old 03-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
FISH11

Great pictures but I think that larger rock fish wasn't after your beer but the yellowtail on the label. At lest he has good taste. Ha Ha
Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
Amish Ed

That's quite the first trip. Good job.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
octico

Dinner

The fruit of our labor ... fish tacos!

Old 03-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #16
philr21

Nice. What type of rockfish are those? They look similar to one of the types we catch in Japan.

Jealous, can't get Ballast Point on base over in Korea.
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr21 View Post
Nice. What type of rockfish are those? They look similar to one of the types we catch in Japan.

Jealous, can't get Ballast Point on base over in Korea.
that looks very similar to a copper rockfish but thecoppers have more of a striation to there pattern. 5 of the fish in the pick are vermillion or "reds" the other I think is a copper

Old 03-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
Fish

It was fun fishing with you both ...i think you guys are right about the squid....san pedro squid it is next time around hehe....as for this "young buck" i was DEAD tired after paddling all the way back haha ...i did however try the docks with no success and went home shortly after i saw you high tail it back to the kids beach...
Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
It was fun fishing with you both ...i think you guys are right about the squid....san pedro squid it is next time around hehe....as for this "young buck" i was DEAD tired after paddling all the way back haha ...i did however try the docks with no success and went home shortly after i saw you high tail it back to the kids beach...
Duuude, that paddle in was brutal. I really played it too close on time and was 45 minutes late for my first appointment at work

Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #20
Hondatom

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Will, cool? yes I'll second that, nice guy knows his stuff, always willing to share. AND a good artist too, check out his tattoos, at Bad Influence Tattoos.
I will second or third or what ever. YES Will is a very cool guy. I have crossed paths with him a few times over the past year and he has always been helpful.
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote