Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
tomah
Junior

which paddle to pick?

hello everyone! im looking to get a new paddle and i was wondering if you guys had any tips on which paddles to pick? im looking for a light paddle. since i have my REI member discount and some dividends, i was looking into a werner camano. anybody paddle with that one or have any other suggestions as to what works good?
tomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Both my son and I have had Aqua Bound carbon fiber paddles for years and have put a lot of miles on them. This can probably be said about most of the carbon fiber paddles, however, we've had a couple experiences in the past 6 weeks which which has sold me on the service provided by the company. My son's paddle broke at he center conection in the middle of a surf launch and he sent a note to Aqua Bound and it was promply replaced for no charge, not even shipping. $180 paddle, over 6 years old. I started looking at mine, and started to see some wear in the same area, and I also contacted them and and they asked me to send it in for repair for a very nominal charge. Newer designs have beefed up the area that was worn on our paddles, so we should not see any more of the problems. I am sold on the Aqua Bound design and service
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Camano Paddle

I have the Camano paddle. I ride a Hobie, I dont use it much except in the kelp and surf launch and return. I like the paddle and have no issues with it. Light and sturdy.

As far as cost or where to buy. There are places online selling for $208.00. If you can get it cheaper at REI, go for it. If youre an REI member, they have 20% off plus any dividends you have.
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
YakMedic

I use an aqua bound carbon fiber paddle also, I hear great things about the werners but no direct experience. Either of the 2 you can use your %20 REI discount on.
I love this time of year when I get my dividend but then I realized how much money I really spent at REI last year
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
tomah
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I use an aqua bound carbon fiber paddle also, I hear great things about the werners but no direct experience. Either of the 2 you can use your %20 REI discount on.
I love this time of year when I get my dividend but then I realized how much money I really spent at REI last year
lol tell me about it. thanks for the insight guys, i think i will check out the camano!
tomah is offline   Reply With Quote