Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
huntin4fish
Junior

Lighter Kayak

I have a Brand new Malibu x-factor. Used I time first part of last week to try out in alamitos bay.. The problem I am having is this. Its to big bulky and heavy for me. I just had my 3rd back surgery at the end of last week. I cant lift it by myself, Its so long I have to put it up on the top of my camper shell on my truck and even though I have a hullivator I still cant lift it up there by myself. Right now I just fish bays and probably wont me doing much ocean fishing. I need something I can slide into the back of my truck. Sooooo The question is this. What lighter and shorter kayaks would you recommend? I have two mini x's for my kids but thats just slightly to small. How are the OK Trident 11s or wilderness Tarpon 100. Also , if anyone has something to trade or wants to purchase a BRAND new x-factor just PM me. Thanks in advance.
Ray

Last edited by huntin4fish; 04-02-2011 at 10:37 AM.
huntin4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Croaker Dave

Those Malibus are heavy yaks. Check out Cobra if you want lighter

I use a set of Hully Rollers to save my back. Hully Roller on the rear, Mako saddle up front. I just have to raise the nose of my kayak to the rollers, then roll it on the rest of the way, which is is heck of a lot easier than picking up the whole thing. No more back strains since I've had it.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

a little help please...

There are a lot of us that fish Long Beach, Alamitos bay, Huntington Harbor and Dana Point on a regular basis, hook up and get some help loading and unloading, any time your going out pm me a few days before, I may not help you catch any fish but unloading and loading I can handle.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
MuddyMike

i'm guessing it's not possible to use the bed with the shell & gate open? or even just the shell. i don't have a bad back, but i don't think i'd want to be lifting stuff that high either
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Amish Ed

I feel you on the back problems, I've been off the water for 2 months now because of mine. Dave's suggestion could help a lot, depending on how you put your yak on the truck now. I just looked at what Malibu is claiming for the weight of the X-factor, 62lbs. I doubt that, but if it's true it'll be hard to find something significantly lighter. At least without going really short. If you mostly fish the bays, that could be ok, but if you like to paddle...

What about using a bed extender and tossing a red flag on the end of your yak?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Siebler

Come down and check out the full line of Wilderness boats at OEX Mission Bay or with Andy at Sunset Beach. You can test paddle them and also see how heavy each one is so you can make the decision yourself.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyMike View Post
i'm guessing it's not possible to use the bed with the shell & gate open? or even just the shell. i don't have a bad back, but i don't think i'd want to be lifting stuff that high either
I see a lot of guys hauling their Kayaks this way. Many will use bed extenders also. Be creative, but also safe. I speak from experience I couldn't fish all last year due to the injury I sustained loading my kayak.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
bubblehide

I went through a very similar situation after an injury, and my stubbornness of doing things myself didn't help at all. But when I came in for landings and my legs were totally numb, I was more than happy to accept help. Rob saved my butt from drowning at landing more than once, during those times by dragging my butt out of the surf. I'll never forget it, I'd hop out of the yak and my legs would collapse under me. after a couple of minutes of wiggling around on the sand, the old legs would work well enough for me to stand and sorta walk. I also remember it taking me a couple days to recoup from yaking, and back then I had a pedal yak. My point is, make sure you go with someone else, and don't be shy about letting them know of your condition and how it affects you; they'll help you out with what you need, without babying you. We've all either been through something like this, or had a loved one go through something like your going through, and we know that getting out there is a healthy thing. It'll take time, but you'll improve.

Either the above, or get a trailer for the yak.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
huntin4fish
Junior

Kayak

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. Yep, my back is completely shot and I also have a steel plate in my neck so im a medical disaster. LOL this thing is just WAY to big and bulky for me to move around myself. Bed extender is a option but I just dont feel safe driving with something hanging that far out the back of the truck. I think I will take the suggestion of going over to OEX and see what they have to offer. Gonna be a few weeks though. Gotta heal up from this latest surgery first. For Sale, 1 NEW malibu x-factor. Stone color. Ill put it in the classifieds as well. Fish on!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
StinkyMatt

Huntin, How is a bed extender with appropriate tie downs, light kit and a flag any less secure then a KITE on the roof of your car?

I don't see it at all, done both.

Get the extender, save a LOT of effort.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
jbaker

I have an factor and use a bed extended. I think it was $30 from harbor freight. I put a tie down from the front of the bed to the back of the tail gate when loading. I lift the front of the yak up on the extender then hook the tiedown to the bow handle to hold it in place. Then lift from the back of the yak and slide it in. Works really well. I also put a red flag on a carbines and hook it to the rear carry handle to be legal. Never had any problems loading or during transport.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I have an Ocean Kayak Caper I was planning on selling soon. Send me a pm if you are interested...

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/ang...er_angler.html

I know this is a kayak site and all, but if you are only fishing the bays you should look at float tubes...
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker Dave View Post
Those Malibus are heavy yaks. Check out Cobra if you want lighter

I use a set of Hully Rollers to save my back. Hully Roller on the rear, Mako saddle up front. I just have to raise the nose of my kayak to the rollers, then roll it on the rest of the way, which is is heck of a lot easier than picking up the whole thing. No more back strains since I've had it.

theres a reason why you hardly see cobras on the water anymore. they havent kept up with technology or boat designs...
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Lets_Fish

Can't help you much on the weight side of any yaks as most are in the 50-60+ lbs range. While surfing the net I came across this innovation for a truck rack. Check out the 7th post on this link (One with blue truck in pics). http://yakass.net/forum/yakkity-yak/...anagement-mods The rear lift can fold down so you "roll" your yak up or down on the rollers that are installed. Granted that this would only work if you do not have a shell on the rear, but worth looking at for some other type of modifications.

Last edited by Lets_Fish; 04-03-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
Amish Ed

If your only worry with the bed extender is safety, Matt nailed it. Good tie downs and you'll be fine, way more stable than racks. Get the extender, then see if you need to get a new yak. You not need to.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
huntin4fish
Junior

Yak

Thanks guys., appreciate it. Will do some thinking and see what I can come up with.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
bmercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Huntin, How is a bed extender with appropriate tie downs, light kit and a flag any less secure then a KITE on the roof of your car?

I don't see it at all, done both.

Get the extender, save a LOT of effort.
Yes remember to have lighting on your kayak if its sticking out of the bed of your truck at night... I got a very expensive ticket for transporting my board that way at night with just a red flag and no lights on the end of it.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
huntin4fish
Junior

Thanks

Thanks, I think I am going to try a bed extender. Will make it easy to slide into the back of my truck. I will put the kids mini x on top. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

check your pm box Hunt

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #20
PAL

There ARE lighter kayaks. Almost anything thermoformed comes in at 40 lbs or so. Look at Hurricane Aquasports and the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Ultralite for examples. Of course, depending on the exact model there are disadvantages. Few of these are 'big boy' boats, and some are short on storage.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote