Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
taggermike

Great photo devildog. Talk about an "army of one". I used to launch out of fisherman's cove to give kayak tours. We went down the bluff on the north side of the cove but there is a faily easy stair case on the south side. I never caught oo much in OC, but then I didn't give it my best efforts either. Mostly bass and few short halibut. I did have a fun shallow water sculpin bite just south of fisherman's cove. If you find them be EXTREAMLY careful. Sculpin in your lap = no bueno. They all get a "hair cut" befor the come aboard. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #22
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

First time I went kayaking my buddy and I were floating on the kelp by Seal Rock and two BIG WSB swim right by the kayak just a foot or two under the surface. That was when I knew I needed to start fishing hah hah.

I'm going to try to check out Dead mans reef today, 200 yrd straight out from seal rock. or I'll try. I really need to get a gps to home in on stuff like this but I'll have some fun regardless
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #23
Iceman
Administrator

Fishermans cove today at 7:30ish

lots of beat up squid looking to hide out under the yak from the mackerel attack. Slow fishing other than the relentless mackerel. Killer conditions, fished until 2:00

Old 11-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #24
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Is that Mr Green with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Fishermans cove today at 7:30ish lots of beat up squid looking to hide out under the yak from the mackerel attack. Slow fishing other than the relentless mackerel. Killer conditions, fished until 2:00

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #25
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Is that Mr Green with you?
Good eyes David. Hard to miss a landwhale sighting.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #26
Vikingj

Personally, I agree with Yani-the easiest way is to paddle from Doho or Dana harbor in the AM. I make the trip about 3x/month and it takes about 45-50 min going and a little less to return.
Further north the Montage in s. Laguna has public parking and a cement ramp that goes down to a semi-protected cove. A little easier and more launchable than Salt Creek.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #27
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I had stuff with my mortgage modification come up so i didn't get down to the beach till almost four. I packed the kayak and all my equipment and set it up on the beach and looking at the sunset beneath storm clouds and the wind picking up I packed it all back up the hill and down to Dana Point.

Conditions outside the bay were pretty gnarly and no moon at all, couldn't make any bait for the hoops so I went back in and practiced casting for a few hours around the boats because I'm still new to fishing. Let's just say I need a lot of work.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #28
mrJB

Funicular

Fold up your kayak and gear and take the funicular....
Seriously, I don't know anyone that did the round trip walk, with a kayak, down to Salt Creek twice. Before kayak fishing, I used to do it carrying surf fishing gear and that was bad enough.

Do the paddle/peddle from DP harbor and don't be a GIRLY-MAN
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
I'm going to ask the War Dept. (wife) if it's a go for me on Thursday morning .
I'll just recon the area and see what's practical for me to launch from.

For those that don't know....Marine is always capitalized.

LMAO....Got to be photo shopped!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #30
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I went to crescent Bay one cove up from fishermans cove just because I knew the terrain and could find my way back in the dark. an intense hill to drag the kayak up and down, I dunno how it compares to salt creek
Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
PAL

Nice one Devil Dog. I remember when you guys got to watch from offshore while VII Corps US Army did the heavy lifting. All but the Tiger Brigade - 'ol Uncle Sam loaned you a few tanks named after - that's right - an Army general. Hand it to you though, the Marines knew where to aim the pointy end. Born fighters! Marines are great to secure a flank - just be sure to speak in small words.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #32
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I've launched a couple of times from the Salt Creek area to get to the kelp beds. One needs to roll down towards the west end of the beach and launch / land there. It is one miserable trip back up that steep hill to the parking lot and you probably should take a few breaks or have a friend help you up.

I was stopped last time by a newer female ranger who indicated I should not be launching and landing there. Told her I've launched and landed at San Clemente pier, Doheny, Crystal Cove etc. and could not find anything preventing a launch and landing there. Mentioned that I went way out of the way of any potential watergoers. She pulled out her book of regs and could not located anything specific preventing a kayak (as it's not a boat) from launching and since it's not an SUP, (as I mentioned to her) is classed like a surfboard.

Anyway, got down and launched early before the lifeguards even set up and you gotta land somewhere. After a couple of times doing that, now I take the long way around from the marina.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #33
taggermike

X2 with Montesdad. I've dealt with the "Authority" mind set around there too. YOU CAN'T, oh wait maybe you can. At fisherman"s Cove I had an 18 year old, very young any way, life guard demanded to see my fishing license. I'm sure she had zero authority to do that but I figured if I refused she'd get on the radio to some one who did and have them grill me for a while. I paddled out at 1 foot Doho and after landing through the "pounding" ankle high waves I got a lecture from the life guard that I was unsafe and could have lost control of my kayak and injured some one. I even stayed as far to the jetty side and as far away from the surfers as possible and I still got the authority lecture. I had some real trouble keeping a civil tonge in my head. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #34
MVC

Fished Dana Point today. Reset the trip meter on my GPS and launched from Baby Beach to the bait barge and out to the kelp about 1 mile north of the red marker. The round trip mileage was 9 miles. Not too hard on a Hobie. The trip paid off with a 34 inch halibut. I will post a pic once I get them downloaded. Did not see any other kayakers out.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote