Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
Steve Max

Long Beach?

Hello Fellow Yakers,

I finally purchased my malibu X-13 which has turned out to be the perfect size for my 5 foot 6 frame. My brother and I are planning to fish this Friday in Long Beach near the "wall". We are not exactly sure where this is located but would love some insight from those experienced with this location. Can I get some directions? Any good fishing there? Any other spots you may recommend in that general area?

Perhaps Cabrillo?

Your Knowledge and Time is much appreciated.

Steve
Steve Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
Amish Ed

The wall is a long ass paddle (at least the south end). You could launch at Cabrillo and fish the north end easily. Personally, I would launch at Cherry and fish White Island. It's the one straight out from the beach. Maybe a mile out. If you fish around the dock area, watch out for the tender which comes very regularly and they don't like you being in the way. The barge comes every few hours too. There's also Chaffey Island which is right off the beach, across from the convention center. Not sure what that beach is called though. It probably has more area to fish, but the beach is pretty long. You could launch at Cherry and paddle to it, about a mile also. BTW, your best bite will be before the sun breaks the horizon.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Steve Max

Amish...Thanks for the awesome advice. We will probably start at the North end and take it from there. Don't know how the bite has been but its always worth a try. Thanks Again, Much Help
Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
tomahawk

I would vote white island over chaffey. The harbor patrol doesn't let you fish the inside of chaffey. The small wall near the marina opening almost makes up for it. The walk from the parking lot to the water near chaffey is enough to make me go anywhere else. There was construction going on at cherry beach that blocked a lot of the parking lot. The small boat launch would get my vote if you have 2 people.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
Amish Ed

I messed up. Chaffey is one island to the south of White. The one north with the long ass walk is Grisolm. Didn't know you can't fish it now though.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #6
King Saba

Fished Chaffee and White once with my buddy. I can't vouch for the quality of fish there since were were fishing at slack and low tide, but we did get fish, although not very big whatsoever. Calicos, sculpins, jacksmelt, and sand bass were seen that day. Chaffee produced more fish for us, but I've seen pics of good fish come out of White.

Last edited by King Saba; 02-23-2016 at 12:05 AM.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #7
Steve Max

Thank you guys very much, this is great information.