Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
pingpangdang

Hamachi vs Buri YT sushi

The boss doesn't want me to bring home one of those monster YT you guys are so dang good at catching. She prefers the Kawaii (cute) sized rats that are thrown back.

She is Japanese and prefers the hamachi size...younger YT the pre-pubescence stage (less than 3 feet)....get your mind out the gutter boyz.

Anyways the term hamachi and buri can be confusing...I'm still confused. When I used to eat sushi in Japan you could order hamachi or buri....at the time I asked what is the difference? I was told that hamachi is the younger smaller sized yellowtail and buri were the older, larger developed yellowtail. Most people I noticed always ordered the hamachi vs buri.

So in my mind I'm thinking the smaller hamachi sized YT are better for sushi than buri beasts. To lead to the confusion the term hamachi is in reference to the farmed rats in Japan. Since they don't swim as fast and far corralled in the ocean they get fatter than their wild rat sized counterparts. I've been eating rats in Japan this whole time! Additionally in regards to terminology, Buri to some is also a term referring to wild YT.

Regardless of the terminology for you pro sushi finatics what type of sashimi tastes better to you in regards to the size for these local wild YT?

The rat or the buri size beasts? Are the beasts tougher/firm? I sure hope I find out personnally one day....

I'm also curious in regards to fish conservation...yes it's best to release everything but is there more or less of an impact keeping either size? Better to release the rat or big momma-san?
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
surfisher

I release em all .... well, more like 9/10 haha. I have also heard the rats taste better but I couldn't get myself to kill one.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
StinkyMatt

Some dude told mea longtime ago:

Hamachi. =. 2 year old farm raised YT.....preferred for higher fat content

Buri =. Wild yt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
taggermike

The smallest yt I've kept is maybe 3 lbs. The actual flavor of small and bigger fish was about the same to me. What is different is the fat content. Bigger fish are richer and have creamier "mouth feel". I caught a 40 lb-er years ago that was so fat it had marbled belly meat like tuna toro.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
pingpangdang

Good stuff guys....I would be a 9/10 guy but I'm 0/0 at the moment I think a smaller yt is enough for my wife and Lil boy....but I'm sure the neighbors would not mind some sashimi if I kept a monster.

Never really preferred the more expensive toro...fatty creamy sushi. ..

I think we all can agree that yt are great table fare. .

Thx for taking the time to provide feedback. ..i think most of my questions have now been answered by BWE. ..now its time to just have fun fishing! Good luck to all on your next time out on the water! Kayak fishing is the best...even on days getting skunked it's great exercise and their is always awesome marine life to see! I still enjoy just making bait!
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
spicolly

I'm not a marine biologist, and I think there are some BWE members who are, so perhaps they can chime in?

Here is what I have learned...and hope it's legit:

Hamachi is Japanese for a certain species of Amberjack (Seriola Quinqueradiata) that can be farm raised to make it fattier. Hamachi is often confused or substituted for Hiramasa (or CA Yellowtail, or Seriola lalandi), which is also an Amberjack.

Both tasty, two different species...
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
spicolly

Cool link from Catalina Offshore: http://catalinaop.com/press/baja-hiramasa/#.VtCba5MrLUJ
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
I still enjoy just making bait!
haha my friends laugh at me when I get stoked on making bait. So many tough days trying to get it make it that much better when you have the easy bait days.