Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
warrior

Feel sorry for my Yt-less yak

I didn't want to steal a post where someone was asking about what Iron to use for YT so I thought to start mine.

I have all the iron I think I need (except that 7 X) but that YT has yet to find my yak, I'm hoping to me up with one very soon.
I don't have any spinners that big (they talked about the Shimano 4500) but I do have an array of conventional stuff; Diawa sealine 20 & 30, Shimano TLD 15/30, Trinadad 30, Calcutta 300, Jigmaster, Shimano 30 2 speed.

I've just been running mono line, should I put spectra backer and then a fluorocarbon leader? If so, what line should I match up the reels I have?

Thanks again
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Billy V

That Daiwa Sealine casts good. Spool it with 30 mono and tie it directly to the iron.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
-scallywag-
Banned

yeah 30lb mono on the sealine 30 or any high speed reel you have......forget about spinning reels unless your in the bay, would you really feel comfortable with a 30lb yellow on the end of the line with a spinning reel???? i only use spectra on my trolling rods.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
comrad_zeelaagee

well quit feelin' sorry for your yak and get out there and put your arse in it!
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
FISHIONADO

You will have a better chance with live bait or frozen squid this time of year. Someone caught a yt on a deep iron the other day and that is very cool but not typical, usually a winter technique. Yellows are feeding on live bait near the surface this time of year. Good luck out there.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
warrior

Thanks

I love my Sealines, they cast far and smooth. I have 15 lb on my 20 and 25 lb on my 30. My TLD has 30 lb. I have the day off tomorrow so hopefully and can try my new yak out.

Let see, Close drive-Newport Long Drive-Dana Point Really long drive-LJ Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Comrad Zeelaagee my arse should feel pretty good with my new seat too; love that air padding
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote