Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Beer Me
Take two

New to me 2015 Trident 15’

With the PA14 hindering my beach launches due to the immensity of it, I found a 2015 Trident 15 in good shape for $400

It came with a nice paddle, anchor, and a seat. I really like the “Rod Pod” pole storage and fish finder cover for launching/beaching.

It didn’t come with a cart, suggestions are welcome. The straps are weathered and side handles are ripped. It does not have a rudder but looks one can be added.

I picked up some new bungee from West Marine and hope to get it out next weekend. Tomorrow is Leo Carrillo in the PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
FullFlavorPike

I fish out of a 15' Prowler. Great boat! You can actually get 2 more rod holders behind the seat if you angle them right. Rudder is no doubt nice, but the boat tracks pretty darn straight without it. Unless you're better balanced than me, you're gonna have to get used to peeing from your knees instead of standing . I can't stand up in mine unless I'm in the bay. But then again I don't surf so maybe I don't have the skills.

One thing you ought to do is seal up the forward hatch better than it comes from the factory. Maybe yours is upgraded as it is a little newer than mine, but on my boat the forward hatch let in a ton of water if waves went over the bow on a surf launch. If you have some sort of effective seal there...great! But if you don't, do something about it and save yourself the hassle. You can address the problem by purchasing pipe insulation (make sure you get the good one made out of rubber, not the stiff plastic foam one) from Home Depot and affixing it to the rim of the forward hatch with some Marine Goop. You have to glue it on there and clamp it down but it will stay put. Then, when you strap down the hatch with that goofy cross lock strap, it seals tight enough to keep most of the water out and you won't have to stop after every launch to pump a bunch of water out of the hull.

You could do the same to the rod pod, although it doesn't let in water like the forward hatch does.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Hunters Pa

Handles are easy to replace. Might want to rethink the bungee going around the gunwales. All the do is act as a great place for hooks to snag. Paddle it a few times before adding a rudder. They do track well and likely won’t need one. Save the anchor for lake fishing
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
Jkfishing

Nice kayak

I just picked up older model powler 15 took it out today Newport kids beach it does track pretty well. Like you was thinking about getting a rudder system check out EBay $55 for complete rudder system with foot control pedal and hardware but long shipping.
Jkfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
skrilla

Solid rig. I have both pre and post 2017 13ft models. Lightweight, effortless to accelerate and maintain speed, tracks straight especially in the surf which is a huge plus. Mod Pod II is a cool center hatch upgrade. Plano 1612 box with added rocket launchers for behind the seat is almost a must have as well. I use a C-tug which I like because it breaks down and fits in the forward hatch. Wheeleez have better wheels for the sand though.