Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
SLYACKER

Hobie on roof top? Yay or nay?

Hey guys im looking at getting an outback or a PA14 i drive a civic sedan with a yakima roof rack on it does anyone transport one of those yak in a similar way?... Want to male sure i will be able transport it safely before i spend that kind of money
SLYACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I would say NAY on the PA.

Not saying that you can't transport one on your Civic....I know there's a guy out there that transports his PA on his smart car...somewhere...but if you want to transport it day in day out every weekend, reliably, safely...and not worry about damaging your car...You want to do it with a vehicle that is meant to carry a heavy load.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
SLYACKER

Thats what i figured! Thanks ful-rac Ill might have to look at some different boats unless i wanna trade my car for a truck lol

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
socal.beach.bum

I've seen plenty of guys haul outback on top of civic so I guess there really isn't any issue there...but I agree with Fulrac on the PA...definitely won't do well with one of those on top of your little civic.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
RockyRaab

Don't know nuffing 'bout no Civic - but a PA14 nestles nicely aboard a Toyota Highlander.

RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
jorluivil

I transported a Outback on a two door civic for about a year, never had any issues.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
devilslock
Fish on !!

The only issue i had was transporting my kayak on my Honda civic hatch back and a truck bumped the back of the kayak breaking off the rudder. I now put a bright red flag at the the end of the kayak.
devilslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
tamddo714

im using the malone univeresal foam block rack. so far so good

tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
oneyedeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYACKER View Post
Hey guys im looking at getting an outback or a PA14 i drive a civic sedan with a yakima roof rack on it does anyone transport one of those yak in a similar way?... Want to male sure i will be able transport it safely before i spend that kind of money

check the weight limit on the roof of the civic if its able to handle the weight I don't see why not....spend good money on a rack setup and it should make your life a little easier.
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
SLYACKER

I think with a bow and stern tied down it should be fine lol at this point i need to get back on the water having withdrawals

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Raskal311

I think the yakima racks are rated for some where near 300lbs. Stock racks are generally between 75-150. As long as you are able to space the bars wide enough I dont see why you can't transport a PA on a civic.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
Rambo

Yakima round Q'Bar is one of the best roof rack for cars. Make sure your get some cushion or add 2 PVC pipes to prevent the PA14 from bulging the bottom. If you plan on loading it yourself, get the kayak/canoe load assist by Yakima. . Also make sure to get front and rear straps to tie the beast down.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
SLYACKER

Thanks for all the info guys

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
TCS

Consider an adventure. Fast. Light. Handles rough seas, surf launches and landings well. Really easy to put on he roof.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
dmrides

Can't speak for the civic, but I have had Prowlers, Revolutions and now a PA12 on my Outback with factory racks for years without any issues. With the PA, I use bow and stern straps.

Now that I type this I am looking for some wood to knock on! Best of luck to you. You should be fine (fingers crossed).
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #16
incxalx

I own a 08 civic sedan, and thats how i carry my Yak. i use http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-Evenkee...ima+kayak+rack With my rack. It gets the job done. However, i do have a hard time sometimes cus my yak is 55 pounds and i do it solo.

PM me if you want pictures of my car's rack
incxalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #17
CKallday71

Here's an Outback on a Golf. The biggest issue with your Honda might be premature rusting. VW has amazing rust protection but I know from previous experience that Hondas do not take salt water on their finish very well. So keep your Civic washed after transport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.7 KB, 154 views)
Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #18
AirborneYak

I carry my outback on my WRX. I have Thule aero blade bars and I clean the OB over my head and put it on the roof rack.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
SLYACKER

Ok i feel alot better Bout it now there shouldn't be any problem now just gotta pick one and go get it lol. I need to FIISH

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #20
Fish Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Yakima round Q'Bar is one of the best roof rack for cars. Make sure your get some cushion or add 2 PVC pipes to prevent the PA14 from bulging the bottom. If you plan on loading it yourself, get the kayak/canoe load assist by Yakima. . Also make sure to get front and rear straps to tie the beast down.
Yakima makes quality stuff for sure, I've used it in the past, and have some now... but may I offer a suggestion to anyone using their "round bars"?

Let's say for example you have a heavy kayak like a PA14 or something (or in my case it was a loaded down Stealth 14) and you want to heave it up onto your rack (say you're using Mako saddles or something similar)... with those Yakima round bars... you can bet they won't stay in one place. Eventually you'll discover that they will roll forward (or backward) when loading and unloading your kayak. I even had it happen once one a Yakima rooftop bike rack.

So... if you want to keep your saddles, glides, or whatever you attach to these round bars from tilting forward or back on the bar (and trust me when I tell you, no matter how hard you clamp down on these things, they will and can still move around on that round bar) ...buy the Thule square load bars instead and it will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

Most Yakima hardware (clamps and such) allow you to still use a Thule square load bar on their products (there's usually a plastic notch you have to remove first that allows their clamps to fit on the square bar) and once that is done, it fits right on the square bar perfectly... and most importantly IT WILL NEVER SHIFT OR MOVE. It's rock solid.

I use the Yakima Rack N Roll trailer, and have three Thule 72" square bars using Yakima hardware to load my Stealth 14 and it works great. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken's Canon PowerShot SD800 IS 005.jpg (81.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Ken's Canon PowerShot SD800 IS 003.jpg (71.9 KB, 109 views)

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote