Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
PAL

Never prouder to be a kayak angler - keep the effort going

Kayak anglers never cease to amaze me. I'm proud to count myself among your number.

Kayak anglers were everywhere at yesterday's MLPA meeting. One after another, from the beginning of the public comment period until the end, you came to the microphone to participate in the process and protect your way of life. And not only La Jolla guys, but Dana, Palos Verdes and Malibu represented too.

Your numbers were noticed, as they have been since very early in this challenge. Few groups are as vulnerable to a poorly planned marine reserve program. We could have been swept off the water, unfairly taking the full impact of the hit, but you stood up to be counted. Your efforts to preserve public access for our environmentally friendly sport are paying off!

Congratulations and a hearty thank-you to all who sacrificed a day of work or play to crowd into an over-heated meeting room. And to those who've given their time, energy and money for the cause at other times, thank you too.

You've done so much, but please don't slacken your efforts. We're in the home stretch, with only a few more opportunities to affect the outcome.

The RSG will meet on Sept 10 at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Los Angeles, the last time to weigh in on a map in progress and maybe move a boundary this way or that.

But you really should circle Oct 20-22 on your calendar, when the Blue Ribbon Task Force meets at the Hilton Long Beach to select the map they will forward to the Fish and Game Commission. We'll post the public comment time once it has been announced. Come strong, but please continue the respectful tone.

Thanks for supporting your RSG representatives - I can't over-estimate how much you've empowered us in these complex and difficult negotiations. You are the best. See you in Sept and Oct!
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
-scallywag-
Banned

I'm still a little fuzzy on the rest of the process....so the MLPA BRTF picks thier favorite map then submit it to the F&G commision for a vote?
What happens if they vote it out?
Who and how many people are on the commision?
Are we making an effort to bribe...uuhh I mean Lobby these commissioners?

So if F&G rejects the MLPA's fav map and it all goes back to the drawing board Mr.Wiseman and his possi will be employed for a couple more months and also available to recieve lobbying from both sides. If F&G accepts the map the MLPA possi will miss out on another 6month+ of $lobbying$.

If i was a money grubbing MLPA member I would be lobbying the F&G commissioner to not pass the map. Thats the easiest way to get the $$$$$$$$.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
I'm still a little fuzzy on the rest of the process....so the MLPA BRTF picks thier favorite map then submit it to the F&G commision for a vote?
What happens if they vote it out?
Who and how many people are on the commision?
Are we making an effort to bribe...uuhh I mean Lobby these commissioners?

So if F&G rejects the MLPA's fav map and it all goes back to the drawing board Mr.Wiseman and his possi will be employed for a couple more months and also available to recieve lobbying from both sides. If F&G accepts the map the MLPA possi will miss out on another 6month+ of $lobbying$.

If i was a money grubbing MLPA member I would be lobbying the F&G commissioner to not pass the map. Thats the easiest way to get the $$$$$$$$.
If there's a time for funny business, this is it. One previous process saw a couple commission members mysteriously absent for the deciding vote and replaced by pro closure sit-ins... All we can do is stay vigilant, the rest is out of our control.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Thanks to everyone to showing up. I have been watching the video archive of the public commentary since I missed most of it yesterday. I think we did an outstanding job representing ourselves and pushing for a reasonable approach. We can only hope it didn't fall on deaf ears.
Thanks again to Paul and MJ for representing us and our favorite spots through such a tough process.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Rob929

Maybe I was just hearing what I wanted, but it seemed to me that the majority of speakers were anti-closure. Was great to see that kind of turnout, but also makes you realize how important each and every speaker/ attendee is at these meetings. Lets keep it up!

Also my many thanks to Tyler for taking the time and putting the effort into the awesome powerpoint and speech. You definately used the extra time well, and I/we appreciate it!

Until the next one, see you guys on the water
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
so cal shaggy

no need to thank us

Paul, thank you for your dedication to this process. You volunteered for a process in which you knew you would be surrounded by people that do not like what you do in the ocean and want nothing more than to take away your ability to participate in an activity you love, you have my gratitude forever. I was glad to see so many of you guys yesterday and was very happy to see some veterans of the sport show up to speak. You all make me proud to be part of the fishing community.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
FISHIONADO

I made it in time to turn in my card but took an important call from work and then missed my chance to speak. I included my position on the card so at least that is in the record. Glad to see so many people representing in a manner that made me proud to be a part of. I hope you all get karma rewards on the water soon.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote