Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
zenspearo

MLPA Carlsbad Aug. 3rd meeting--A suggested speaking point

Kayakfishermen,

One of the speaking points, having multiple sub-points, is as follows. This is one suggestion. At this stage, with the RSG, we need to be specific in speaking to a specific area. We hope that with enough people speaking, most areas can be covered.

Remember: Speaking time is at 3:30PM. You need to show up at the latest by 3PM to sign in. Per new rules, no one can sign in for you. You must sign in yourself. DO NOT BE LATE.

Monday Aug. 3rd--3PM
Holiday Inn*
850 Palomar Airport Road
Carlsbad, CA 92008

Example: My name is John Doe, I want to speak about keeping area X open as shown on the External A map.

1) the specific boundary of the area you want to keep open (example: The area that is important to kayak fishermen covers the La jolla kelp bed, and more particularly the north end of La Jolla from Bird Rock north to Scripps pier (just a random example here), etc.)

2) why it is important from a recreational/socioeconomic perspective to keep this area open. (Example: Mention that it is the only spot for shore access, if you close it, kayakfishermen would lose access because there are no reasonable alternatives, etc.)

3) mention again that with 80% sand and 20% rock/kelp in CA, and with the ability to adaptively manage, it's prudent to start small and adaptively modify as time goes by. The law allows for that. Why start with closing pretty much all of the 20% rock/kelp and disproportionately target recreational fishermen/spearo

I'm recovering from a low-grade illness, but I will be there.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Kayak Rookie
Junior

only early portion of the day

I will only be able to be there for the first part of the day. I hope to be able to share my story with some one and hopefully they can place it forward in the open session.

I should be there around 930 AM.

bob
aka
kayak rookie
Kayak Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Rookie View Post
I will only be able to be there for the first part of the day. I hope to be able to share my story with some one and hopefully they can place it forward in the open session.

I should be there around 930 AM.

bob
aka
kayak rookie
Bob, Bring a written statement, and give it to Kelly Sayce, she is the MLPA outreach coordinator.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
DESTROYER

Sorry Fellas, not gonna make it today. Thanks to those who are representing the kayak and spearfish community. Represent

Matt Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
CurtyL

How's this? Talking about the area from Bird Rock north to Scripps

1.) Of all types of fishing in this area, Kayak fishing has a minimal adverse impact on the general ecology of the environment as we do not harvest the numbers of fish that a commercial/recreational craft can and we do not use craft that leak fuel or damage kelp when transiting around the area. There should be incentives built into the MLPA that encourage this eco-friendly type of fishing.

2.) There are limited places to launch a kayak from in this area so maintaining beach access at La Jollalace Shores and elsewhere will be important.

3.) By limiting fishing areas and/or places to launch a kayak from the MLPA is increasing the risk of potential safety issues by forcing kayakers to launch from further away, or by making kayaks travel farther out into the ocean to reach legal fishing grounds.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Kayak Rookie
Junior

whoa!

I was there for the first part of the meeting until the lunch break. Paint drying is more interesting than the way these people put out their information! If you are not good at understanding double speak and can't follow all the graphs which are confusing as hell, then the paint is looking better all the time.

I don't have a clue on which plan the committee likes the best, but I think the course of action is to begin approaching the CA fish and game commission who will be making the final decision. The suits behind the microphone seem to have already made their decision they just haven't announced it yet.

Sorry I couldn't stay for the afternoon session. I looked like a couple of people were lining up to make a run at the suits!

Best of luck this afternoon to those that speak.

KR
Old 08-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Rookie View Post
I was there for the first part of the meeting until the lunch break. Paint drying is more interesting than the way these people put out their information! ...
KR
That about sums it up. Listening to what is happening and trying to understand it is important.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
tacmik

Angry

I to was at the meeting this am. Unfortunatly I had to leave at the lunch break. Agree with kayak rookie completely. Mike
tacmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
tattuna

That place was just a drum beat away from becoming a mosh pit. What a poor choice of location. I had very little time to stick around and ceded my time. I stood by the door way trying to listen but couldn't hear anything. Anyone have a link to todays video?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Charles good seeing you and everyone else! We had the numbers, and can't let up from here on out. Only a few months, and this is over. As we can see the anti-fishing groups have rallied, but not nearly as many as us, when we show in numbers!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Nice job to those who were able to show and represent. It was crowded and hot in there but we had a good show of kayakers! I think kayakers and spearos represented the most there today!

We do have to keep on top of this but do so respectfully. There were a couple of speakers who were rude and had to be stopped from speaking. Not a good representation for our cause. We need to stick together on this until the end.
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

What everyone else said.

That hotel was a really poor choice for the meeting.

I just wanted to say, we have to be polite. At all costs. We can question the bs in the process, we can disagree very strongly, but we cannot call anyone names or be rude. This is on the podium, in the audience, or lobby.

Huge thanks for everyone that turned out. Also a huge thanks to the guys that ceded some time to me so I could get our message through. I am pretty sure it worked this time. We cannot let up. As soon as we do we will lose everything we gained tonight. That means we need even more kayak anglers, all with a unique input.

Until the next one

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
Billy V

Tyler's Power Point presentation was a big hit.

It was well thought out and clearly conveyed the Kayak Fisherman's plight.
-------------------------------
A Sincere Thanks to All the Supporters who make tonight's meeting a success.

Especially the L.A Guys who made the trek down to spend that precious (1) Minute Speaking on behalf of our sport.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
SeaDog

I had a conversation with several teenage blues shirts and Tyler's pictures really struck home, the fact that several closures don't limit kayak fishing, they effectively eliminate it due to the access issues. They were actually receptive, well done Tyler.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
-scallywag-
Banned

Angry

As an active member of 4wheelers for the past 10+years i have had alot of experience with this process and the people involved. The sad truth is that the people with the power don't really care about either sides opinion, the constitution or even the environment. They DO however care about the physical safety of themselves and their family and the more obvious drive, cold hard cash.
fficeffice" />>>
Over the years I have see countless public lands, trails, and even designated OHV areas blatantly bought (closed) by private interest groups. Once again we, "the poor majority" are pitted against the "rich minority". Luckily our founding fathers being the freedom loving men that they where, knew that this was a huge problem with any form of government and gave us the 2nd Amendment. In Rome they gave them stones.

After seeing someone’s 1st amendment rights stripped from them in public commentary today when he called out one of the board members for their actions(without using profanity), I again realized how futile (under funded) our actions are. Words and letters are great but that has never won a political battle or even an election, we need leverage or money. We all have our strengths, some are wealthy, some are good writers, some are good speakers and some are good at applying good old fashion leverage. Do your part.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
warrior

I'm glad I went

We had a good showing but all the "world will end if we don't close the ocean to all" kind of people were there in force. They dawned their save the ocean and "MPA works" T-shirts; bringing the kids in to wear and show their sad faces. I'm sure most have never read or know what this is about. One girl showed slides of kids coloring ocean pictures to prove they want to save our oceans. I agree that rudeness and attacking the group will only hurt our cause.

When the facts don't back your argument, bring in the kids.

The general theme was to let us fish in any plan they choose. My comments were mainly about buying all my gear from local shops which helps the economy and protecting my Indian heritage to fish. I also talked about we as kayakers are green machines and don't take anything that shouldn't be taken.

We should all be very scared because it seems there was a lot of money from the Environmentalist backing this thing.

Jesse
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
Kayak Rookie
Junior

What's next?

Can Tyler's video be posted on the website?

What is the next step in this venture? Are there more letters to be written? Calls to make?

There was a comment in reference to percentages of areas that will be effected. It seems to be misleading because the 10-20 percent of all kelp
that will be protected is directly off of La Jolla, but looking the percentage it doesn't seem bad to some one who is not aware of the areas!

I would hope that the CA Fish and Game would still like the opportunity to enforce the rules that they enforce in the local area! I have just started fishing recently and everyone that I have had the opportunity to speak with seems to enjoy what we do and are advocates in protecting the areas in which we fish.

There was some discussion on "lobsters" but I could not make out the gobblygook. I not sure if this will effect lobstering?

Fish now for who knows what the MLPA will do tomorrow!

For those that may need a drink after that event may I suggest a Big Eye IPA!

Cheers!
KR
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #18
comrad_zeelaagee

thank you to all who were able to attend the comments session. i was there in the am- but didn't see anyone i recognized from photos posted here or that i have met in the past.

as a north county san diego resident, i feel i'll get totally screwed either way. all maps that save la jolla close my grounds. all maps that restrict my area close la jolla. i want to be able to save both! what can be done to this regard?

i am very sad that i am joining the game so late- but i'll do what i can from here.

i've thought that it would be great press for our cause if we could get some national media to the process (think glenn beck, drudgereport.com, etc.) to get some pressure on the decision makers, but i've so little exposure as to how the preocess has gone down i don't feel like a worthy representative to present the case. if someone wants to try to get this going together, i'll be more than happy to team with them and try to make that happen.

if we can expose this nationally and ask for fellow anglers to boycot CA as a destination for angling and tourism we can leverage a greater body of liek minded individuals who will vote with their dollars.

i'm best reached by email but don't know if i feel comfortable puting that out just yet. if you're on here- you can get it.

tight lines
andy
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote