Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
pchen911

What's the best launch for fishing Pt. Loma kelp?

I launched from Kellog street before, but it's quite a paddle from there.

Is there a better launch location?
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
steamroll

Depending on the swell direction. You can try launching at these 2 spots

1. Orchard and Cable (steep cement walkway leading to cobblestone reef launch - very defined channels - pretty easy launch)

2. Bermuda St - (Stairs leading down to a sandy beach with shorebreak. You'll need to time your launch here)
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
JoeBeck

I launch to the left or the OB pier often now that I live closer to that area than LJ, usually the waves aren't to bad there although coming in on low tide can be intresting since it gets a little rocky.

Also if the waves are up I launch at Mariners cove and paddle out the jetty, but before I do that I try to knock off a little of the paddle by checking out south mission beach the parking lot at the end of Mission Blvd then right on north jetty road. Often that is an easy launch and landing.

I also launch a kallog st sometimes. My favorite way to fish point loma kelp is bay to bay. 1 car at Mariners cove and 1 car at kallog. Start at mission bay although keep in mind it is a full day and a long paddle. Try to get to SD bay on an incoming tide.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Orchard and Cable can be tricky, be careful. There are cobble stone rocks there, that will slide, as you are staging to jump on your kayak. Also, the surf pounds you on the rocks.

Check the surf to the right of the pier, it is summer, and may not be bad, plus sandy, so no rocks to worry about bouncing off.

All the places listed are variable with tide and surf. You may launch to pretty easy LJ (ave de la playa) like conditions and come in to a very different landing area. I have experienced that with all the spots listed, including Marine St. in La Jolla.

That said, I really enjoy fishing Point Loma from a kayak, I wish there was a more consistent, nice n easy access, and safety spot to launch/land there.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
pchen911

A bay to bay would be a blast. I would love to do that.

But as the whole reason for finding a new launch now is that I am way short on time lately. New baby earlier this year makes my free time for fishing down to almost nothing. And even when I do get time, it's only a couple of hours.... So trying to shave time off of the long paddle.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
punchjamesarnol

Awesome thread. Does anybody know if there is, and how to launch directly south of LJ bay? Is that Bird Rock? I want to try a different spot, and wannna easier time parking if I show up later in the day.
punchjamesarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Try Marine St. There are some stairs to the beach, and it can be gnarly shorebreak, but it can also be flat... But then it can turn into gnarly shorebreak.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote