Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Heroes On The Water - So Cal Chapter

Old 01-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Feb. 11th, 2017 Tideland Park event?

Got a text about a HOW Event on Feb 11th, 2017. I want to help out and volunteer. Can't find any new threads of an event on the board here at BWE...is there going to be an event?

Tight Lines,
Geno
Old 01-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
FISH11

Hi Geno. Sign up as a volunteer on the web site EVENTBRITE SAN DIEGO FOR FEB. 11 at Tidelands Park, Coronado
Old 01-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Thanks Mark. Just made it happen. I was not able to help much at all last year, so this year, I'm going to do my best to give back. It's amazing, how when I get out of myself and help other human beings to enjoy our sport and focus on the wonderful things nature gives/shows us on and around the water, the closer I feel with the gift of belonging to this community. I always feel better about myself, my life and my reality after each event.

Tight Lines,

Geno
Old 01-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Deamon

In with you Brotha Geno...but I rarely sign up, lol.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

I signed up to be an on the water mentor, but now that my car is totaled I may have to be helping out on shore, but I will be there for sure.

JimmyZ

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
chris138
donkey roper

Mentor Tips Needed!!

I'm planning to make this one. I'll finalize my mentor reservation tonight.

Semi related question... I've done two events at Tidelands now, and got skunked both times. Anyone have any tips to help me, and more importantly, the guest I might be mentoring?

1. What ideal line type? Like 10# mono? Flouro? Is 20# flouro way too heavy?

2. Live bait? Should I be bringing sibiki and bait tank to make bait for hali?

3. I am under the impression that we shouldn't be taking videos w gopro, in the interest of the privacy of our guests. Is this correct? Obviously I would love to get some footage and put together a HOW video. What is our chapter's policy on this? Is there interest in gathering footage for a video, even if I just hand the files off to someone?

Good news is none of my guests have been skunked, but they have outfished me every time
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
FISH11

I've always taken Go Pro videos and still pictures of the guest on their kayak and especially with their fish they caught. I have always asked if they minded and offered to e-mail them their pictures. Never had any problems, they always appreciated it. As far as bait I think most have used artificial lures or the squid supplied by HOW. If you want to know the secret to catching fish at Tidelands you'll have to ask Josh (easyday), he always kills it. See you there Chris. Mark
Old 02-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post

Semi related question... I've done two events at Tidelands now, and got skunked both times. Anyone have any tips to help me, and more importantly, the guest I might be mentoring?

3. I am under the impression that we shouldn't be taking videos w gopro, in the interest of the privacy of our guests. Is this correct? Obviously I would love to get some footage and put together a HOW video. What is our chapter's policy on this? Is there interest in gathering footage for a video, even if I just hand the files off to someone?

Good news is none of my guests have been skunked, but they have outfished me every time
I've always done well using gulp shrimp or gulp jerk shad in the new penny color. 8 to 10 lb. line works. I fish them Carolina rigged. Have also seen a lot of people catch them on dropper loop. If the tide is moving, just need to drift. If no movement, have to work the bait. Keep the bait moving just off the bottom. No sabiki needed.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #9
Heroes On The Water
Non Profit Organization

Hi Everyone,
We are gearing up for another great season that starts February 11th at Tidelands.
We've been slow to put out a complete schedule of events for the whole coming year due to the fact that we are trying to do a few new events in a few new locations but have to wait on confirmations before we can set dates in stone.

Thank you all for your continued support

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Heroes On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #10
Heroes On The Water
Non Profit Organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post

Chris,
Thanks for raising a great question regarding the recording of our events with your GoPro.
When our guests arrive at our events they sign a few forms for us including a media release waiver that allows us to use their image whether still or on video in future promotional material and or press related clips. In short this includes everything from TV to printed and social media. During our events we routinely record and or take photos of our guests on and off the water and most don't seem to mind especially if they're holding up a nice sized fish but their privacy wishes always come first
Above when I say "us" or "we" I am referring to HEROES ON THE WATER. Now with that said, everyone who particpates in our events is welcome to take pictures but we ask that if you post them to social media that you always state that they were taken at our Southern California Chapter of HEROES ON THE WATER event or something worded like that. As for video, short clips on the water are fine as long as our guest doesn't mind but anything more and we ask that you contact us first.
On the subject of putting together a video...... Let me know what your thinking.... I'm all for it if done in the right way.

See you on the 11th

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Heroes On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Mentor Confirmed

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. Just registered, see you there everyone!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Mentor Tips Needed!!

When I used to fish Tidelands with my son, I found he got plenty of action on Gulp white Grubs. Much harder to miss the bites.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Berk...FQ9EfgodHWUJAg

I still think somebody getting GULP on board as a HOW sponsorwould be way better than cutting up squid
Old 02-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #13
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Is How rain or shine....

Might rain alittle in the morning clearing afternoon my kayak loaded....
Old 02-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
FISH11

Smile

I was another great HOW success, and a great way to start 2017 HOW events. These guys seem to have a great time one even caught a Sand Bass although not large enough to be legal. Unfortunately their trip was cut a little short being as they capsized and I had to help them get back in the Tandem Kayak. I was the first time I was there when someone went in the water and was glad to be able to help. I know how hard it is to get back on by yourself. I also know that a lot of guys on BWE provably haven't practiced it and should. It could save your life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5170.jpg (31.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5171.jpg (46.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5173.jpg (44.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR0571.jpg (29.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR0576.jpg (32.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 02-12-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added more pictures
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Goodtime...

Good pizza
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170211_072907_LLS.jpg (60.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20170211_080623.jpg (69.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20170211_072439.jpg (47.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20170211_101804.jpg (37.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20170211_101046_LLS.jpg (39.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #16
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Trying to friend HOW on Facebook, anyone know how to find our chapter?