Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
forcefed
Junior

Surfrider MLPA meetings starting Tue 9/23 7PM S.C.

Being who they in this area, I'm sure they will have an influence with this "letter".

Surfrider
Explore Maps of Marine Protected Areas with the Surfrider Foundation
September 20, 2009
PRESS RELEASE

Decades of overfishing, coastal development, and pollution have taken a toll on Southern California's ocean environment. To help improve our ocean's health, the State is setting aside protected zones similar to state parks so that marine life can thrive.

This is one of your last chances to give meaningful input on where marine protected areas should be located! Please join Surfrider to learn more about the Marine Life Protection Act and to discuss the proposed maps. After the community forums, will compile all constructive comments into a letter that will be sent to decision makers before the final vote. We need to hear from you!

Agenda:

• 7:00-7:10--Welcome and brief overview.
  • 7:10-7:20--Summary of Surfrider's outreach efforts over the past year and what we learned from local communities and Surfrider supporters.
  • 7:20-7:40--Overview and discussion of each map.
  • 7:40-8:00--Questions & Answers.
WHEN: Four different forums will be held in the following areas:Orange County, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and San Diego.All forums will be from 7-8pm.

Sept 23. San Clemente Senior Center: 242 Avenida Del Mar. San Clemente, CA 92672.
Sept 24.Watershed Resource Center:2981 Cliff Drive.Santa Barbara, CA 93109
Sept 29.Santa Monica Library--Ocean Park Branch: 2601 Main St.Santa Monica, CA 90405
Sept 30.Encinitas Community Center: 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Encinitas, CA 92024

Community Forum Information:
September 23, Wednesday. 7-8pm
San Clemente Community/Senior Center
242 Avenida Del Mar
San Clemente, CA 92672-4005
Use the Library building entrance on Del Mar Street, and the Senior Center is on your left side of the lobby.

http://www.surfrider.org/files/FAQSurfriderMLPA%20.pdf
http://www.surfrider.org/files/SF_MPAs_Access_Memo.pdf
http://www.surfrider.org/policy_mpa.asp

About the Marine Life Protection Act

The MLPA is a law that requires the state to establish a "network" of marine protected areas from Oregon to the Mexican border. The goals of the MLPA are to: 'set aside' areas of the ocean to increase fish populations, enhance marine habitat, and to improve recreational and educational opportunities. Over the past year, has been working with diverse groups of people including recreationalists, fishermen, environmentalists, and Chapter activists to ensure the law is effectively implemented. To learn more go here: Surfrider on the Marine Life Protection Act or email Ssekich@surfrider.org
forcefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
peguinpower
bing!

they seem to be going against the grain of this section of the law.....

"to improve recreational and educational opportunities"

I'm getting desperate
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
bellcon

They better be careful what they wish for...
They just might have to change their name from
Surfrider
to
SurfWatcher
in the future...
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
dmrides

I think that we should all attend these meetings and cordially discuss our ideas and goals with them. I see quite a few people fishing at La Jolla on stand up paddle boards, one would only assume that they are Surfrider members. I also heard Bird on the morning surf report on 94.9 this morning saying that the surf was small and that he would recommend that you go fishing today rather than surfing. Seems like even Surfrider members would also be bummed about the closure.

Make your voices heard. Show up and let them know your thoughts. Of course do so in a respectful way, but let our voices be heard.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Dan

Stefanie at Surfrider is doing a good job balancing our interests. Pick the meeting close to you and make your points!

Surfrider can throw their weight around in a major way on issues.....the other enviros are not stoked on their moderate stance on this issue.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Matt
Support your local pangas

SR

Ok so let me lay something out for many of you "informed" people regarding surfrider.....I have been chatting with two of their main people and I assure you they are more closely leaning to our side than many of you think. They have been taking a ton of flack for not joining the "enviro" side, in my chats with them they have been extremely open minded and supportive of keeping Lj open and not increasing the current MPA.....So hear them out and go up and express your opinions in a polite and courteous manner and you may just find that they are more on your side than you think!! Big PROPS should go to both Stefanie and Joe Geever, THANK YOU BOTH VERY MUCH FOR THE TIME YOU HAVE TAKEN TO CHAT WITH ME AND OTHERS!!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

We will be at the Enc. one.

I will tell Clay that they are surfers like him, and have him do a bit of talking with them...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Iparker
Junior

I second those comments of Matt and Dan and I have also had similar conversations with Chad Nelsen at Surfrider. While they support the MLPA process, I've been told by several times that they have lobbied for a balanced closure that considers all users. A good example of this was the Laguna Beach city council meeting where they city was considering a motion that favored a city wide MLPA closure and Chad spoke against the motion.
Iparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Gino

That letter doesnt express in any way they are looking out for our fishing interest. Depsite individual comments and discussions.

Opening the letter with "decades of overfishing..."

The letter is a hard copy. Its public, unless they are willing to publish a letter to kayakfisherman showing they are out for a balanced resolution.

I dont buy it
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
joyjiggin'

"Decades of Overfishing/"... I don't buy it either. ...smells fishy.
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Billy V

We will see soon enough when their letter is released.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
805gregg

Surfrider needs to stick with surf related issues. They should have nothing to do with other issues, that's why the founder of surfrider quit.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #13
dmrides

I appreciate your guys comments regarding your insight into Surfrider. I think this is great to know that they are hearing us and are open to present on behalf of those who speak up and express what it is that they want and why they want it. Since this is the case, this is all the more reason to reiterate to Surfrider how important keeping access to La Jolla is to us yakkers.

Even if organizations do not support our cause, it never hurts to graciously remind them of how many people are in support of keeping access to our fishing grounds.

I think again it comes down to the fact that as a community of kayak fishermen who want to continue to have access to the areas we cherish, we need to make sure the groups that have the ability to have influence are aware of how many people want to protect fishing grounds like La Jolla.

I think that anyone who fishes at La Jolla, or fishes in general, needs to write an email, send a letter or show up to any meetings about the MLPA just to show that you are in support of keeping La Jolla open. If enough people send this message, we will be heard and this will go a long way.

I would hate to be sitting on my couch next year wishing that I could be fishing, but knowing that I did nothing to make that happen.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
Iparker
Junior

I attended the San Clemente meeting and left with the impression they had a true interest in feedback from the consumptive community and was glad I went. Not a huge turnout, but I'd guess more consumptives than pro-closure people.

The first 35 minutes is stuff you already know, but if they are in your area, I'd suggest going to provide your feedback.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iparker View Post
I attended the San Clemente meeting and left with the impression they had a true interest in feedback from the consumptive community and was glad I went. Not a huge turnout, but I'd guess more consumptives than pro-closure people.

The first 35 minutes is stuff you already know, but if they are in your area, I'd suggest going to provide your feedback.

Iparker, thanks for that feedback...

Hopefully that will enlighten individuals of the necessity of becoming aware...

Or, in simpler terms, show your arses up.

Thanks for showing up bro and giving us feedback.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Big PROPS should go to both Stefanie and Joe Geever,
Never met Joe Geever but is he the guy in this video?

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=92742
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #17
Matt
Support your local pangas

Yes he is in there, my bad I missed his part, i fast forwarded it to not have to listen to the lame banter, sorry for that. Look the MPA's are a fact and they are going to happen, and from every talk I have had they are wanting to help us keep LJ open. I have been to a great many meetings and have spoken with SR staff members many times, they are not anti-consumptive users, they realize that close to 45% of their membership are fisherman. They do support the creation of MPA's but they are also willing to help us as Kayakers to try and keep the majority of LJ open, which to me personally is the only part of the fight I actually care about. Closed mindedness will not win, sitting there and saying "fuck coastkeeper", "NO CLOSURES ANYWHERE!", aren't really helping us! Showing up with a bloodydecks shirt showing "over the top" gore is not going to help us! Speak intelligently, be polite, and try using the honey not venom method and we may just save the extremely important spots to us!!!

I am not saying to trust anyone in this process completely, but I am desperately trying to get us allies in order to keep parts of La Jolla/Black's, Malibu, Dana Point and others as open as possible to get us the access we want. Please, please, please help everyone out and show up to the meetings and try and fight the good fight!

Hey you may not agree with everything but we have got to try and win within the system that has been established!

Last edited by Matt; 09-24-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Billy V

I'll be there.

Everybody who fishes La Jolla, or Anywhere Else on a kayak has no excuse not to show up.

-I have spoken to almost every New Faced Kayak Angler I meet out there in LJ and stress the importance of attending these meeting.
-Probable to the extent of sounding a little crazy! (but thats mostly the Jersey in Me.) but WTF I'm fighting to Win.
---------------------------------------

I can't wait until this shit^y process is over, and we can wash this bad taste from our mouths.
In spite of all the stress and turmoil the MLPA has created among us it has solidified friendships that will be long lasting.
---------------------------------------
I hope to see all of you there.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
Iparker
Junior

Ditto to what Matt said. If you have an hour to spare, I would suggest going so your voices are heard.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #20
zenspearo

Matt,

My comment was not directed at you, and if anyone takes it that way, let it be part of the record that I was questioning where Joe Geever and more specifically where SR stands.

Let's be clear.

If I could be under the impression that he's backing greater closures (and I've been to a shitload of these meetings), based on his and other SR reps public testimonies and his appearance in this video, then rest assured that the public at large and the BRTF is getting the same message that SR is supporting larger closures.

I'm interested in LJ but I am also interested to see other areas get some relief. If other areas are slammed, rest assured that we'll see more fishermen, divers, kayakfishermen, boaters in the little tiny NW corner of La Jolla. Same for PV, same for Point Dume, same for any other areas.

We in the diver communities also have a huge stake in this, including the LJ area, and we also got the "hey-we-try-to-help-you-guys" song and dance from certain SR members.

Hey, then how about showing us that you mean it, SR? Don't tell ME or my fellow divers in whisper. Not when it's the 23rd hour. Tell the BRTF, tell the RSG, tell the SAT, tell the public. So far, the curtain is about to fall, we've seen SR publicly speaking up for more closures and in propaganda videos so pardon the eff out of me for being skeptical of SR intention at this time.

But I'd second the thoughts that 1) it's worth it to go and see what they have to say and put in our 2 cents, and 2) divided we fall.

joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Not him Joe! Look the MPA's are a fact and they are going to happen, and from every talk I have had they are wanting to help us keep LJ open. I have been to a great many meetings and have spoken with SR staff members many times, they are not anti-consumptive users, they realize that close to 45% of their membership are fisherman. They do support the creation of MPA's but they are also willing to help us as Kayakers to try and keep the majority of LJ open, which to me personally is the only part of the fight I actually care about. Closed mindedness will not win, sitting there and saying "fuck coastkeeper", "NO CLOSURES ANYWHERE!", aren't really helping us! Showing up with a bloodydecks shirt showing "over the top" gore is not going to help us! Speak intelligently, be polite, and try using the honey not venom method and we may just save the extremely important spots to us!!!

I am not saying to trust anyone in this process completely, but I am desperately trying to get us allies in order to keep parts of La Jolla/Black's, Malibu, Dana Point and others as open as possible to get us the access we want. Please, please, please help everyone out and show up to the meetings and try and fight the good fight!

Hey you may not agree with everything but we have got to try and win within the system that has been established!