Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
james92026

La Jolla Launch

I thought I would drive over to LJ today and observe returning yak fishermen but only saw the recreational crowd. I guess I was either too early, or too late (10:30). I wanted to maybe pick up a few pointers, ask a few questions as to where the legal fishing grounds are e.t.c. The ones I saw, made it look fairly easy and only witnessed one tandem flip at the last second. It looked to me like the technique was to be patient, getting a feel for the right set, incoming surf rythym e.t.c. Most just glided right up on the beach. Next question would be what to do with kayak cart if you unload on the beach and have to park a couple blocks away? Mine will come apart and stow in the forward A Hatch, but it also adds a bit of bow weight. Guess I could simply leave the kayak beached while I put the cart in the trunk and go find parking seeing how as I am usually alone.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92026 View Post
I thought I would drive over to LJ today and observe returning yak fishermen but only saw the recreational crowd. I guess I was either too early, or too late (10:30). I wanted to maybe pick up a few pointers, ask a few questions as to where the legal fishing grounds are e.t.c. The ones I saw, made it look fairly easy and only witnessed one tandem flip at the last second. It looked to me like the technique was to be patient, getting a feel for the right set, incoming surf rythym e.t.c. Most just glided right up on the beach. Next question would be what to do with kayak cart if you unload on the beach and have to park a couple blocks away? Mine will come apart and stow in the forward A Hatch, but it also adds a bit of bow weight. Guess I could simply leave the kayak beached while I put the cart in the trunk and go find parking seeing how as I am usually alone.
my buddy and i went there today around 4ish. met kevin at the launch ("the kid"). my buddy talked to him as i was checkin out the sets and noticed some corbina in the surf. lol. its really mellow at the launch. everywhere else was to rough. were headed down at 4am and will probably launch at around 5am. get some squid then hit a rock pile or two and try for some sheepshead around the kelp.

as for your cart. just wheel your yak down to the water and then put it in the trunk when you go to park. your going to drag the yak into the surf without anyways.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
JeffB

Launched about 0830-0900 out there today. Caught a lot of rock fish. Plan on doing the same tomorrow. Same time....
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
bigyearn
Junior

James,

I will definetly go out to La Jolla with you this coming weekend if you were looking for someone to go out there with. I have been out there twice and know the area a little bit. the first time it was amazing weather and no swell at all. the second time was with 2-4 waves and out near the bouys i could barely keep my breakfast down it was so bad. had a good time both times though. let me know via pm or this thread and we can set something up. i am looking to try out my new iron's and hit the kelp as well.
bigyearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
james92026

sent PM. Still getting used to forum, did not see copy of the reply I sent to you, I guess I needed to indicate I wanted to save a copy of sent message in order for it to show in my folder. In any event, I am out of town this weekend, but will definitely hit you up at another time...THANKS!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
james92026

OH....another thing..since you mentioned the "swells", I had posted previously about my flipping over about 1/2 mile off Oceanside Harbor, I got broadsided by a fairly decent sized swell mostly due to my not paying attention. I dont know how big they were, but I would guess around 5 feet. No panic, but I was rescued by a PB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyearn View Post
I will definetly go out to La Jolla with you this coming weekend if you were looking for someone to go out there with. I have been out there twice and know the area a little bit. the first time it was amazing weather and no swell at all. the second time was with 2-4 waves and out near the bouys i could barely keep my breakfast down it was so bad. had a good time both times though. let me know via pm or this thread and we can set something up. i am looking to try out my new iron's and hit the kelp as well.