Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
nickc5

LJ 10/21 LINGCITY/Hammerhead Dash

Launched the kayak at around 5am.

Made bait with some cool dudes who were going to make a long trek for some wahoo. I made 1 green back and 20 Spanish mackerel. I typically don't fish with Spanish macs, but since I slayed 60+ lb yellowfin tuna on the Commander 3 weeks ago at the 43 with ONLY Spanish macs, I had all the confidence in the world.

Name:  YFT COMMANDER.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  70.2 KB

I haven't been on the yak for a while since I've been doing this all summer. Last time is when Cadillyak and I decided to go offshore. We ended up popping 4 25+ yt's.

After I made bait, I headed out to my spot, and started to fly line. Worked an area ridiculously well for one decent sized Bonita.

Kept trolling to a new location where I was harassed by dogs for the next 1 1/2 hour. Most ridiculous day fighting off the dogs. No boats around, no kayaker's, NO ONE. Just me and the dogs.

Finally, I saw one kayaker who was trolling by and he had the same problem. Talked for a minute and we both started to head out to try and avoid the dogs. I started to head out, and decided to take a second to chill.

Ended up killing 1 hour before I dropped another bait in the water.

Saw the New Seaforth from a distance and knew I was in the clear.Trolled around another area for no takers but looked SUPER fishy. Started looking at the meter, and told myself I was gonna yo-yo super hard for the rest of the day.

Made my first drop, BAM! short bit. Dropped it back down, BAM! Decent sized salmon grouper. Drifted off rock pile so I went back and BAM! Momma ling on the deck.

Name:  LING1.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  38.4 KB

Drifted off it again. A few drops later, BAM! Poppa Ling on deck. Both lings were SOLID.

Name:  LING 2.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  66.3 KB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=507xbHx-qzw

My gaff is absolutely shot. Super dull and rusted a bit. Had no idea since i haven't been out in months. Couldn't stick any lings the first shot... WHO SELLS GAFFS AGAIN?

3 passes, 3 solid fish. Stoked.

Went back to the spot to work it for the 4th time. Made a few drops to find my self into this predicament.

NOTE: I don't give 2 shits if you are sick of hammerhead videos. This was the craziest thing that I've experienced in my life. Kudos to my my buddy who edits videos for a living. Many people have wanted to see the experience, so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGBFHV-1R9k

The Shark was exploding bait off the surface. Assuming it was feeding, I decided to get the hell out of there. While reeling up my jig, ZZZZ! Hooked on the shark to my fly lined mac.

I first thought it was a great white since I thought I saw a black tip. Ended up being a hammerhead. I put barely any pressure on the fish and started peddling urgently with very little tension on the fish. I didn't want to piss it off since I knew he was feeding. It started swimming towards me and I started putting more pressure on the fish. It finally broke me off and that's where i decided to book it to a boater who was a 1 mile+ away from me.

10 min later, I called my brother and was telling him about the experience i just had. I look behind my shoulder, and all I see is a 10ft hammerhead swimming in my wake 2 feet behind my kayak. I thought i was in a bad dream. LOL.

The HH and I made eye contact (literally) and that's when he decided to RAM my yak several times for the next hour. The HH tweaked out my mirage drive where hopefully its repairable! Made it really awkward booking it for the next hour.

Finally, I made my way over to the boat. Boy was I a happy camper when I ran into SEAQUINN and his buddy! The HH followed me all the way to the boat. They loaded my kayak up to their sick CC and towed me back to the buoy Line.

At the end of all this, I should of had an extra knife, my VHF radio, and some sort of whistle/noise device that can alert people from afar. I'm blessed for having this once in a life time experience, but cursed that I'll have bad dreams for the rest of my life. lol I usually don't post much and edit videos since I'm super busy, but I finally have some free time for the next week or so, so I'm taking full advantage. You can catch me back at LJ prepared next week!!

NC

Name:  LING.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  LINGG.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  LINGS AND SALMON.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  76.5 KB

Last edited by nickc5; 10-23-2015 at 11:39 AM.
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Nice pics of off shore and your catches off LJ!! The video is sweet as well...Post whatever you want..it's a free country!!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

I decided to nuke everything that was inappropriate, name calling or just plain stupid.......that ended up being everything Next one to post anything that falls in these categories is getting the boot. Be grown ups, be constructive.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
nickc5

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=507xbHx-qzw forgot to add my ling video. Don't put the popcorn away just yet......Worked this rock pile ridiculously hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
momo fish

Oh shucks what did I miss now??
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Harry Hill

If I had known I was going to have to act like a grown-up I probably wouldn't have joined. I'll give it a try though, it will be a first for me.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Oh shucks what did I miss now??
You're always late.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
2-Stix

10 of my last 12 times out I saw hammer heads. Got bumped and followed 7-8 of those times. Very common this year. Gutting bleeding or dumping bait gets the action going every time it seams.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
nickc5

Lol

Old 10-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Damn this thread went south fast! Everyones attacking Team Sewer guys for just keeping it real, even if there is a little sarcasm involved! Even suggesting going to another site??? + Dissing this site??? WTF

NickC5 I have nothing bad to say about your original post. I thought it was informative and do appreciate it as a safety concern. It is important and others including myself can learn from your situation+ I am thankful that you didn't run to the news media and only kept it on this site. I do like watching real footage of these instances to help prepare myself on what to expect during these situations. However posting on a public forum like this you will always get responses you don't like. Its just part of the gig. Try not to take it too personal. I hope you keep posting.

I also appreciate Ful-Racs post and opinions of him sharing his take on this. His take is valid (whether liked or not) and the guy spends a lot of time otw. It is also valuable to know as he explains this isn't a rare situation and chances are you are eventually going to have an encounter or even get bumped when fishing the Jewel. This is good to know if you plan on fishing LJ

Anyhow Im not here to diss anyone just thought Id add to this for no reason. This thread does have some good info here... As well as entertainment! Damn that guy Jorluivil is funny!

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 10-23-2015 at 09:16 PM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Very well said rob!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
Denis_Ruso

Looks like you had some fun out there. I had quite a few run-ins with a hammerhead here in Malibu. As you said really awesome and graceful when there are others around, when you are alone though... that's another story.

Glad you didn't get knocked out of the kayak.

My run in, involved a 8 ft hammer head broadsiding my kayak and attaching itself to my gameclip thrashing about for 30 seconds. Had to slap its flat stupid looking head with my fishing rod. Then it circled me for about 5 minutes as I paddled all alone back to shore. Learned my lesson not hang fish off the side.

In the future what I might suggest is sacrificing one of those lings you had there. That's how I got the shark off my tail. I threw a calico that I had about 30 ft from my kayak and left. The shark will go after that.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
nickc5

Obviously, this hammer has been pestering people for quite some time now. I've seen reports and even was informed by another yakker on the water, that he was being harassed by him as well. This was months ago. I'm well aware of that this situation can happen at anytime, but trying to belittle a report that I am sharing is childish. If I was sensitive, I'd report you for cyber bullying. Haha.

This got out of hand. If people were to respect posts and keep their own derogatory comments to themselves, we wouldn't have this issue.

From the get-go, "Team Sewer" tried discrediting the members post who towed me away from the situation.

Once again, I don't care if you've ran into a hammerhead 1928373773 times, this was my first and really put my life into perspective. All of you with your negative comments could have easily not clicked my post, but you did.

Don't play with fire, you might get burnt.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
Amish Ed

Hey Nick, I like how when people we're giving you crap you decided to crap on another uninvolved group. I read no posts from the bass guys. Why get us in the middle of this spat?
Old 10-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #15
nickc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Hey Nick, I like how when people we're giving you crap you decided to crap on another uninvolved group. I read no posts from the bass guys. Why get us in the middle of this spat?

Sorry, if I disrespected you in anyway. I do enjoy bass fishing as well. Just not my primary targeting species due to the available time that I do have to fish. Just tried to use it against someone who was trying to downplay my event.

Crazy posting sesh this has been. Done!

Old 10-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #16
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickc5 View Post
Obviously, this hammer has been pestering people for quite some time now. I've seen reports and even was informed by another yakker on the water, that he was being harassed by him as well. This was months ago. I'm well aware of that this situation can happen at anytime, but trying to belittle a report that I am sharing is childish. If I was sensitive, I'd report you for cyber bullying. Haha.

This got out of hand. If people were to respect posts and keep their own derogatory comments to themselves, we wouldn't have this issue.

From the get-go, "Team Sewer" tried discrediting the members post who towed me away from the situation.

Once again, I don't care if you've ran into a hammerhead 1928373773 times, this was my first and really put my life into perspective. All of you with your negative comments could have easily not clicked my post, but you did.

I been hastled 3 out of 4 times by that HH. He knows bait comes off our yaks. The bait tanks push out sent. I bleed a bone out an in no less 45 seconds was getting bumped. Alone it's sketchy for sure. Truthfully the sea lions are more dangerous. That's my experience. Almost got spooled one of the 2 times I hooked up. Glad the teeth snapped me off.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 10-23-2015 at 03:11 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #17
phisher_man bossin-it
Junior

It's fun to catch them....
phisher_man bossin-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #18
Murray

How fast were you pedaling? Was the yak hydroplaning? Ha Ha. Had to giggle when I saw you in full-out pedal mode. Probably been there myself so can relate. Glad to hear that God got you home safely.

Blessings mate and thanks for the info. Always good to learn from the experience of others.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
Croaker Dave

Oh, man! That would scare the crap out of me.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #20
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickc5 View Post
What is this supposed to mean? What are you implying?