Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Harry Hill

why not

If I am fishing a mackerel on a dropper rig for halibut why wouldn't I want to put a big jig head on the bottom as the weight with a gulp shrimp on it or something like that? It seems to could cover all your bases that way but what do I know, I haven't caught a keeper halibut yet. So I'm throwing this out for the guys who do catch halibut and don't mind sharing their knowledge. I plan on hitting San Diego Bay next week and I'm thinking of trying this, any reason why it can't work?
Old 01-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
If I am fishing a mackerel on a dropper rig for halibut why wouldn't I want to put a big jig head on the bottom as the weight with a gulp shrimp on it or something like that? It seems to could cover all your bases that way but what do I know, I haven't caught a keeper halibut yet. So I'm throwing this out for the guys who do catch halibut and don't mind sharing their knowledge. I plan on hitting San Diego Bay next week and I'm thinking of trying this, any reason why it can't work?

keep it off the bottom and I see no reason why not. Go for it!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

I dont think they make jig heads heavy enough to use as a weight while halibut fishing. Unless of course you are fishing very shallow water with little to no current. A mackerel will pull a 1-2 oz lead head off the bottom with ease.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I dont think they make jig heads heavy enough to use as a weight while halibut fishing. Unless of course you are fishing very shallow water with little to no current. A mackerel will pull a 1-2 oz lead head off the bottom with ease.
I've got some three and four ounce jig heads, but I'm thinking SD Bay is shallow enough for a two ounce head, maybe not but it might be worth trying. I need to do something to change things up.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

why not

The current alone in san diego bay, without wind, and without the mackerel being hooked on your rig, will pull two oz of weight off the bottom like its a paper clip. Unless you are fishing south bay or way down in there. But ive had days were I couldnt keep 6-8 oz on the bottom. And at that point you arent halibut fishing anymore.

Last edited by YakDout; 01-12-2017 at 02:57 PM.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
chris138
donkey roper

until you have a lizard or spotty hitting the jig head every other minute, and you have to keep checking your bait, keeping your spunky mackerel out of the strike zone. Focus on one or the other, or drift 2 poles
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Yep! If your gonna be serious about fishing for halibut, concentrate your efforts on that. You don't want all this other crap on your line interfering with your halibut fishing...not that it wont work...it might keep your gear from fishing effectively. The longer your gear is on the bottom fishing for halibut the better your chances. If your winding it in every so often to take the bass off of your line, your probably missing a few bites.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Yep! If your gonna be serious about fishing for halibut, concentrate your efforts on that. You don't want all this other crap on your line interfering with your halibut fishing...not that it wont work...it might keep your gear from fishing effectively. The longer your gear is on the bottom fishing for halibut the better your chances. If your winding it in every so often to take the bass off of your line, your probably missing a few bites.
this is why I asked. It seemed like a good idea to have both ends of the rig working for me but I don't want to be distracted by lizard fish or spotties while I'm looking for halibut. I'll just stick to the live bait and keep looking for that first keeper. Thanks for answering my question, your answers will keep me from spinning my wheels out there.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

I have to warn you though Harry...if you chose to fish halibut, there will be times when it will be very, very boring, frustrating to no end and every once and awhile... incredibly rewarding.

But not necessarily in that order.

Keep fishing hard don't give up and you will be rewarded!