Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
yaky yak

help with shimano drag

I recently replaced the drag washers in my shimano torium 30 with durarex drag washers. The old drag was getting kind of jerky.
After installing the durarex washers i can only get 5lbs of drag. I took it in to the local repair shop and they told me I lost some of the washer that go between the drag and handle. (well maybe), 50.00 later I get the reel back and it still only has 5lbs of drag.
I took it apart and added two drag washers from a jig master on top of the durarex washer that sit all the way on the bottom under the brass gear.
Now I have big time drag if I want it, but the washers are different sizes and I am worried it might freeze up on that 60lb WSB being jerry rigged like that
Any one have an idea why I can't get any decent drag out of this reel. I know its put together perfect, I check it against the diagram. thank for any advice.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I've run into the same problem on a couple of my trini's. Don't have my parts breakdown in front of me right now, but under the drag star adjuster and above the bearing, there are two washers that look identical. The are in fact identical but are slightly convex, or concave depending how you look at them The have to be assembled like this () and not like (( or )). Thats what caused the problem for me.

Good Luck
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
-scallywag-
Banned

what he said....

and kudos for tearin into that reel yourself, they're actually pretty simple once you get the hang of it...plus its always nice having nice smooth serviced reels and not have to pay/wait...then landing a big fish on one you just had apart and never thought you would get back together.

good luck, should be an easy fix.

Last edited by -scallywag-; 03-28-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: redundant post...rossman said it all
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Nic D

$50? Sorry bro but you might have been taken advantage of. I tried the same thing w/ my torium 30 and had it all messed up. Took it to Kens custom in Oceanside and $15 later my torium was better than new.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

If you ever lose any small Shimano parts again, just call them up and they usually will ship out a replacement part for free. I lost the anti reverse dog in one of my Curado 300s and they sent me out one for free.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
stairman

where did you go

Ask them for a refund and if they don't give it to you tell us all where you went ....it is the only way to keep people from taking advantage of you(and the rest of us)

mold doesn't grow where the sun shines
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote