Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
bigbarrels

Intersection Syndrome (tendonitis)

Anybody else every get Intersection Syndrome from paddling? I knew I had tendonitis but have never heard of intersection syndrome ( only De Quervain's Tenosynovitis). After 6 months of not paddling and then going out for a PM shift with lots of wind I developed some tendonitis which improved after two days. Then went out again 4 days later and it flared up midway through the day about three finger widths above the watch on the thumb side (dorsolateral side of wrist) to the point that reeling in bait hurt...

Basically it is tendonitis that is common in paddlers of the tendons that control your extension and abduction of your thumb and some of the extension at the wrist and due to the repetitive nature of paddling

After doing more research I found out and realized that my grip was way too tight and I wasn't holding my wrist in a neutral polsition throughout my stroke. So lesson learned Thankfully I work in an ER and have acess to wrist splinting and colleagues who can prescribe meds and after taking some prednisone last night the pain and crepitance (squeking and crackling upon movement) disappeared....now just going to keep the splint on and continue the meds and go for a test run at La Jolla Monday and hopefully Tues if tendonitis doesn't return (usually need to rest it for 4-6 weeks but a WSB has my name on it out there and a little test run never hurts)

Anybody else ever have this problem? If not, make sure you are paddling with a loose grip and your wrist in a neutral position to prevent this problem...

if it continues I will be buying a Hobie sooner than expected
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Anybody else every get Intersection Syndrome from paddling? I knew I had tendonitis but have never heard of intersection syndrome ( only De Quervain's Tenosynovitis). After 6 months of not paddling and then going out for a PM shift with lots of wind I developed some tendonitis which improved after two days. Then went out again 4 days later and it flared up midway through the day about three finger widths above the watch on the thumb side (dorsolateral side of wrist) to the point that reeling in bait hurt...

Basically it is tendonitis that is common in paddlers of the tendons that control your extension and abduction of your thumb and some of the extension at the wrist and due to the repetitive nature of paddling

After doing more research I found out and realized that my grip was way too tight and I wasn't holding my wrist in a neutral polsition throughout my stroke. So lesson learned Thankfully I work in an ER and have acess to wrist splinting and colleagues who can prescribe meds and after taking some prednisone last night the pain and crepitance (squeking and crackling upon movement) disappeared....now just going to keep the splint on and continue the meds and go for a test run at La Jolla Monday and hopefully Tues if tendonitis doesn't return (usually need to rest it for 4-6 weeks but a WSB has my name on it out there and a little test run never hurts)

Anybody else ever have this problem? If not, make sure you are paddling with a loose grip and your wrist in a neutral position to prevent this problem...

I've had almost the same thing happen. I went almost two years without paddling and then did three hard paddling sessions in a week. I had tendonitis in my elbows for months afterward. Like you said; a light, relaxed grip is the key. I'm also using a bent shaft paddle now. That seems to help as well.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
T Bone

Dont hurt yourself just for a 40#WSB.oh wait,some are in the 50's...just be carefull.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Dan

yep had it. from rock climbing too much one year, and then a couple of summers ago from lots of paddling and bendo cranking.

The best thing for each was resting it as best I could, lots of icing, and Advil for swelling. lay off for a couple of weeks (no wanking either) or adjust your style. But ICE was really the x factor to getting better.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:

Just be careful with that prednisone, it's highly addictive. It's better to correct the pain and not mask it
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Just be careful with that prednisone, it's highly addictive. It's better to correct the pain and not mask it

Prednisone is actually a steroid (anti-inflammatory) which controls the inflammation of tendonitis (non narcotic) and corrects the problem along with splinting and rest....never heard of addiction to prednisone but I guess anything is possible.....thanks for your concern.......most of my patients complain that it causes them to swell up or make them feel too edgy and the big concern with prednisone over along period of time is bone demineralization, immunosuppression and adrenal gland suppression....along with a hundred other possible side effects (like all meds)
Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
yani

I've hurt my tendons before too. Once early on
6 yrs ago. Upon advice from a friend, I changed
up my paddling technique. Now, thru the day, I employ
different techniques so as not to over stress muscles,
joints, or tendons.

That works well for me now. Thank God that cured me,
otherwise I would have to get a hobie, which would mean
no more exercising my core and lots of weight gain.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
herefishyfishy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
(no wanking either)
, I'd rather have the tendonitis...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Prednisone is actually a steroid (anti-inflammatory) which controls the inflammation of tendonitis (non narcotic) and corrects the problem along with splinting and rest....never heard of addiction to prednisone but I guess anything is possible.....thanks for your concern.......most of my patients complain that it causes them to swell up or make them feel too edgy and the big concern with prednisone over along period of time is bone demineralization, immunosuppression and adrenal gland suppression....along with a hundred other possible side effects (like all meds)
I think what is the addictive part is that it helps you feel better faster. The other complaints you mentioned I've seen those in action. My wife was just on it and it made her very edgy.

I hope you get better soon and get that WSB you're waiting for. Hopefully I too can get out there soon. I'm recovering from a bicep tendon rupture. It's driving me nuts with how great the weather is.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
peguinpower
bing!

I got it from ramping up my paddling from 5 to 15, mostly for exercise.

Got rid of it, partially, with some self directed physical therapy. Check out Youtube for tutorials. Most of the PT is very light, doesnt actually feel like it works, but keep at it and it will strengthen you joints.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
clintontull
Junior

Ok, so what is the correct way to actually paddle now that some here say you can do it wrong etc. I'm going to be out on the water as soon as the weather lets me (maiden voyage) and I'm 30 and sit behind a desk for the past 5 years now. So. my core isn't what it use to be and my arms, forearms, biceps back etc isn't all that great... I use a stihl ms 361 late winter for 20 minutes topping up the limbs of a black oak and was exhausted and forearms were on fire.
Dont want that pain again so what other exercises can i start doing to strengthen the paddling muscles?

i have a Werner cabano i think is how its spelled.

Thanks.
clintontull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I use the Werner Copa Cabano in a bent shaft, solved my wrist issues years ago.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
Rob929

Hobie time!

Save your arms for the fight

Oh and prednisone.. ugh- love/hate that stuff. Was on it for years with lots of nasty side effects. But it sure is effective. No addiction though. Now vicodin.. thats a different story..

Either way, that's interesting about the grip. Used to hear that a lot in regards to riding motorcycles. People instinctively squeeze the grips way too tight. causes similar problems, and affects riding performance. Making those small adjustments can make a big difference.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
stairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintontull View Post
Ok, so what is the correct way to actually paddle now that some here say you can do it wrong etc. I'm going to be out on the water as soon as the weather lets me (maiden voyage) and I'm 30 and sit behind a desk for the past 5 years now. So. my core isn't what it use to be and my arms, forearms, biceps back etc isn't all that great... I use a stihl ms 361 late winter for 20 minutes topping up the limbs of a black oak and was exhausted and forearms were on fire.
Dont want that pain again so what other exercises can i start doing to strengthen the paddling muscles?

Thanks.
your 30 and your worried?????? god wait til your 52!!!
Pain is weakness leaving the body!

Last edited by stairman; 03-29-2010 at 10:09 AM.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
bigbarrels

Fished La Jolla today to test out my tendonitisPaddled out at 0530 and fished until 1100. Tons of bait, sea lions and dolphins. Sat in the kelp , trolled and soaked bait along the kelp line but didn't hook into anything (nor did I see anybody hook into anything). Amazing conditions and time spent on the water. Wore a brace on the wrist and the tendonitis flared back up but no quite as bad. No fishing for me on Tuesday though Think I'm off the water for about 4 -6 weeks to let it heal and try to avoid a permanent issue. Next step will be the Werner Copa Cabano (if problem persist)......currently paddling with a Werner Camano paddle (straight shaft)