Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
jscott

Father/Daughter Day!

What a great day! This tops as one of my best days OTW! Here is the story--- my daughter was out on spring break, and we had been planning our first official father/daughter outing (without Mom) for a while. We planned to go fishing in MDR to see if we can get her first fish...and her first kayak fish!! Praying for good weather-- it looked like a good window! The night before, my daughter was so excited-- just like I am the night before fishing! She helped me rig up and load up the truck. (Even helped to tie the "lucky" rapala!!) The day had finally come-- she woke up early-- and I wanted to sleep some more. We ate breakfast and headed out the door. Left the house at 9am...after traffic...finally got there about 10am. Rigged up and parked (oops...did not have exact change-$3- for the machine-- ran around and got change from like 3 different people, but finally got it taken care of!) Then ready to launch-- got a BEFORE PICTURE.

Then we paddle out....trolling 2 lures-- one rapala and one castmaster carolina rigged with a tiny sliding sinker for a deeper presentation. After about 45 minutes we hook up! First fish-- she is nervous and has me fight it. I bring it to the boat...and pass the rod to her so she can be used to handling the rod with the fish on it. Next fish comes about 15 minutes later-- I give her the rod and she fights it all by herself and brings it to the boat!! We hook another 3 barries-- losing one but landing two more. She fights them all herself!! Awesome to see the smile on her face!
Here she is concentrating fighting a fish...

Here she is with a barry on the line...

Here at the end of the day...happy fishergirl!

I have just earned the best fishing partner for life!!
Take your kid fishing...it is the best!
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
hookup
Junior

awsome

great job and a great dad. Coooooool !!!
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I tried to get my daughter to fish Irvine last week, 10 and too old to hang with Dad

Fi
Old 03-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
lamb

Awesome!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
sbsyncro

Awesome story - thanks for sharing that. I know that the foundation we are laying with our girls at this age (mine just turned 11) will pay dividends later on down the road - at least we'll be able to talk about fishing, eh?

My daughter and I fly-fish together, and I have no doubt that she will outstrip my abilities in only a few short seasons. She still hasn't really been bitten by the kayak/ocean fishing bug yet, but we haven't caught anything together yet.

What great fortune that you had some fun hookups. Love that shot of her with the fish's head poking out of the water!

Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
charles_n93701

the smile says it all. Good job
Old 03-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
SHARK BAIT

THAT IS THE BEST FEELING, TO BE FISHING WITH YOUR CHILD. MY GIRL IS 5 AND SHE HOOKED UP WITH HER FIRST FISH AT THE FRED HALL SHOW IN LB. SHE IS HOOKED FOR LIFE, SHE CANT WAIT TO GO OUT AGAIN. SHE WANTS TO GO OUT ON THE YAK, MAYBE TOMORROW. THE TRUTH IS SHE CANT WAIT TO GET A YAK OF HER OWN, SHE WANTS A PINK ONE AND HER 4 YEAR OLD SISTER WANTS A PURPPLE ONE( MAYBE ANDY WILL HOOK ME UP HINT HINT) LOL.
SHARK BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
LocoKayako

That is sweeeet. Good job. Its just awesome when they are out there and they are having fun.

Great job and hopefully we'll see more of your reports just liek this one

gabe
Old 03-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
hooked
on phonics

sounds like an awesome day! My six year old is my favorite fishing and Kayaking Partner. She is turning seven in a few weeks, and is getting her own yak for her birthday. She has been bugging me for months now for her own ride. I took her to the REI kayak demo day last week, and she just lit up when we plunked her in her own yak, and she realized she could paddle and control her own boat just like she has in the tandem, but on her own. My two year old will be happy to get her sissy out of the front of the tandem. Being on the water with your kids, and watching them develop an appreciation for the sport, and the water is such a fulfilling thing. They may grow and not always have the time or desire to be on the water, but you know the foundation will always remain.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
dorf

Fishing partner for life.
It is a magical thing to see a child catch a fish.
My boys love to come with me on the yak. Watch the youngest usually out fishes me but it is worth it.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
h2ofishfo

awesome i have a 8 yr old she dooesnt like 2 go out all the time but when she does we have blast ..need to spend time w/the daughter by having fishing pole time ...itll pay out huge in the long run by keeping them off that dance pole ;qoute by chris rocklol lol
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
herbo

That's priceless, both of my girls used to go to the lake to fish with me, eat the bait[velveeta], feed the ducks and actually catch a fish but that was in the last century,now it's not cool....oh well
herbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
yaknme
Yaknme

That is priceless.

Do you "rig" your single to take your little one?
Which kayak you used for this outing?

Thanks.
yaknme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #14
jscott

In the last pic-- you will see the yak. It is a OK malibu 2. It is a tandem boat. I reversed the seat in the front so my daughter could face me while we were out there. It worked great.

Other times I have taken my wife and daughter-- they sat in the front seat together-- turned forward and we have had a blast. I use this yak as my family and hooping yak.

It is pretty much bare bones....so for hooping I have lots of deck space. There is a center position for if you want to use it as a single-- to better balance the weight.

I use my FND when solo doing fishing-- it has the FF/baittank/ and all that.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote