Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
pingpangdang

Hobie guys please learn how to paddle

Thx to this guy for sharing his launch failure....do not agree on some of his advice.

Week paddle strokes and wastes time stroking waiting for the waves to hit him...slow on paddling over the wave to maintain momentum and balance.

When he turtles you can see he lost all momentum due to his week efforts.

Use your core and paddle hard and straight...to include digging the paddle back in the water once the lip passes your hips.

https://youtu.be/Ww9r0-bQAcM

This is a good video with more sound advice https://youtu.be/7uxNdLkoCdU

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited by pingpangdang; 08-08-2016 at 09:15 PM.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:39 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

I bought a hobie so that I dont have to paddle. Hands are free for fishing, tying knots while moving, etc.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:09 AM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I bought a hobie so that I dont have to paddle. Hands are free for fishing, tying knots while moving, etc.
If you are going to propagate these urban myths you at least should make it complete by adding "eating you lunch"
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
If you are going to propagate these urban myths you at least should make it complete by adding "eating you lunch"

I not only eat my lunch but I make it on the water too. Done my college math homework, along with many other things
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
bolocop

Funny thing about advice. Wise men won't need it and fools won't heed it.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Thx to this guy for sharing his launch failure....do not agree on some of his advice.

Week paddle strokes and wastes time stroking waiting for the waves to hit him...slow on paddling over the wave to maintain momentum and balance.

When he turtles you can see he lost all momentum due to his week efforts.

Use your core and paddle hard and straight...to include digging the paddle back in the water once the lip passes your hips.

https://youtu.be/Ww9r0-bQAcM

This is a good video with more sound advice https://youtu.be/7uxNdLkoCdU

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
I think this has some good points and value. I drive an Outback for exactly the reasons YakDout states. However during launch and land, I tend to have my oars out. Yeah, I can certainly improve, and getting some skill with the oars really helps with rough launches and landings.

I dont know if its me, the Outback design, or a general aspect of all/most fishing kayaks, but even small La Jolla waves tend to send me sideways.

Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

"I like the ease and simplicity of fishing hands free. It allows me to talk on the phone, drink beer, post to BWE real-time... all while I fish 4 dropper loops at once"

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #8
On-The-Prowl
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
"I like the ease and simplicity of fishing hands free. It allows me to talk on the phone, drink beer, post to BWE real-time... all while I fish 4 dropper loops at once"

HAHAHA. F$%cking Hilarious!!!
On-The-Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #9
taggermike

I hope that guy in the first video didn't intend it to be a tutorial on how to surf launch. Cause dude did basically everything wrong. Sitting on the inside getting drilled over n over. Looked like he was stirring soup with his paddle. No momentum or drive. I wanted to yell at the guy.

I've been surf launching yaks for 17 years (damn I'm old) and in my experience the harder you can paddle the better. Stay perpendicular to the waves, give it all you got, n don't stop till you're well out side. Timing waves is important but once you commit, stay committed. Good advise Pingpang. Things go wrong in the surf So the less time you spend in the surf the better. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote