Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Catalina Island Crossing Adventure 2017

Hi Guys,

Looking for some adventure seekers in planning and executing a Catalina Island crossing this summer.

My original plan was to freight over my Hobie PA14, ferry over, pickup yak and fish, camp and then reverse the process. The freighter travels over night and doesn't operate on Sundays and only drops off on Saturdays. This created some logistically problems and extended the trip on the front and back end.

Further research has shown that a kayak crossing is indeed possible, especially in a pedal powered yak. I've already been in training by doing extended kayak outings (8+ hrs pedaling) here in Lake Mead (yup, I'm in Henderson NV)

Thus I'm reaching out to see if anyone can help in planning this dream I have. I'll do my part in training, getting the right equipment and preparing for this journey. I know there may be others who have thought about doing this, so let me know if there is any interests.

I'm interested in doing a 4 day trip. 1 day to get there, set up camp and rest, 2 days fish, 1 day to get back (I'll probably need a day to rest before driving back)

I just purchased a sail (I have hobie kayak sailing experience from before), but would have no problem just pedaling to stay with a group.

This would be an affordable adventure if you considered the costs of parking (ferry terminal) and primitive camping on Catalina Island (approx $200 ttl).

I'm also pretty flexible since I'm self employed.

Anyway - here's to dreams and dreamers and a toast on Catalina Island

"May the Fish Be With You!"
Hobi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
CrazzyGar

Your sail arrives tomorrow... If I can swing it... I'm down to join you. I still have another sail to use. I'll check with some other guys to join us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
King Saba

I think this is dream for many Socal kayakers. Hope this trip materializes out for you.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
Raskal311

Very good read

https://www.outsideonline.com/207398...folding-kayaks
Old 02-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

San Pedro to Two Harbors is on my wish list. Well planned and executed should be a great experience.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Good article Raskal. I would also submit that the biggest challenge you will face are those afternoon winds that seem to happen every day. I would also absolutely file a Float Plan with the Coast Guard.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Way Cool DREAM, you can make it happen. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
CrazzyGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post

Let's go....!!! Get the other guys on board.

CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
chris138
donkey roper

I'm into it. Depending on the timing you might even have a shot at pelagics on the crossing. If i'm not mistaken it's about 22 nautical miles from San P to Isthmus.

22 miles, if you can average 3.5 mph that's over six hours of paddling each way... if you are going non-stop. I tell you what I bet that buffalo milk will never have tasted so good!

My recommendation would be to have a backup plan B to return to newport or dana depending on conditions. If you get a strong downhill current or a NW wind, the 22 kts uphill slog to SanP will be a LOT harder than the 32 mile downhill run to newport. If you were really dialed, you could time your return trip to coincide with the cross channel outrigger race, where there's about 150 support boats in the channel.

IMO Stealth pro fisha is the boat of choice for a crossing. adventure island would be awesome too.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Kayak trip video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOya9B5JJM

Last edited by blackcloud9; 02-17-2017 at 02:10 PM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #11
steve999

I use to take a sailboat from the long beach marina to two harbors a lot, and it was always upwind going to Catalina and downwind coming back. For going to Catalina, you should leave at first light because you want to get there before noon so you arrive before the wind comes up. Here's a typical wind pattern for summer afternoons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sbwind.jpg (73.4 KB, 358 views)
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Freight First Option, Kayak Back

There's a Freight Option that can be utilized to open the trip to more people.

You can drop off your kayak at Avalon freight (San Pedro, parking is $17 / night) and it will show up at Avalon the next day (the fee is $33.50 ea.way, the freight travels at night). When you drop it off, you can take the ferry over ($35) and spend the night at Avalon ($25), pack up your camp and pick up your yak in the am. Then paddle over to the boat in "primitive" site ($25 a night/pp) and meet up with the other yakkers. This adds an extra day because you have to wait for your kayak. Then on the return "downhill" (wind at your back) trip, it would be an easier paddle back. You could also freight your kayak back, but you would have to wait the next day to pick it up. I'm sure there's also an option to do this at Two Harbors as well.

This was going to be my first idea, but the the extra day to wait for the kayak, extended the trip too long. Also, the Freighter, operates M-F only (it drops off at Avalon on Saturdays, I'm sure they could be convinced to take some yaks back) and doesn't operate on Sundays - extending the trip on the back end as well.

Planning for a stretch of good weather and making a "run" for it seemed the easiest and most exciting way to go. Also you cut the cost of the ferry and freight.

But for those who want to join but may not be able to make the crossing, this is an option.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

When to go, how long? - looking for suggestions!

OK, as stated, I'm pretty much open on when to go as I'm self employed, but having said that, it may be best that this trip occur during the weekend, maybe a Thurs to Sunday - so that guys don't have to take off too much time from work.

Second - Feb & Mar may be too rainy, too windy, too soon? April I've got a family vacay to Mission Beach and plan to fish La Jolla. This would be an excellent time to do a pre meet and greet.

May/ June - would be an ideal time for me to go, slow for work and hopefully the weather will be nice enough to do this.

First: Can you guys get your affairs in order? Lets nail down an ideal time to do this.

SAFETY ISSUES: float plan, radios, safety gear

Second: Parking situation, camp site selection based on fishing locations.

Third: Travel buddies - whose going and in what? Though everyone should go at your own pace, it's best to stick with a travel buddy. Meaning - like kayakers / propulsion systems should stick together.

Fourth: Gear preparation/selection (everyone will have to be self sufficient, as people may drop out due to unforeseen circumstances)

Fifth: Camp contributions

If we plan this safely and make it fun and affordable, there's no reason why this can't be the blueprint for future trips - maybe an annual event!

Btw - spread the Dream!

Old 02-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #14
Rnrkly5
Shrkbait

Solo Catalina Kayak trip

I did a solo freight over camp trip on June 1 2016 as part my bucket list . My plan was to circumnavigate the island , camping along the way.
I dropped the kayak off the morning before in San Pedro and took the 1st Catalina Express out of Long Beach the next morning . Once in Avalon I walked to the market to pick up water and propane bottles then walked to the freight company
My1st mistake was not packing the inside my kayak with much as possible because the old freight company didn't allow anything in the kayak but I didn't find out that the new company allowed you to pack it full until I was at the Avalon office . I carried 2 large dry bags with my life vest secured to one and now add the weight of 2.5 gallons for more than mile . The 2nd mistake, not taking a taxi from town to the freight company.
The staff at the frieght company were very helpful by carrying my kayak down stairs to behind the warehouse to sea wall where I organized my gear and install my wheels then moved along the sea wall about 50 yards until I found the only possible launch site which was an all rock beach across the sea wall. The rock beachs are the norm for the island.
I launched at 9 am to 3 night 4 day kayak adventure that I will never forget and even changing the whole plan to circumnavigate to just a front side trip because bad ocean and wind conditions making the backside portion very dangerous.
I arrived back at the freight companies rock only beach at 11am on the 4th day ,up the rocks and over the sea wall , this time packing everything inside my kayak, I was carrying only a lightly packed dry bag for the trip back to Long Beach.
I picked up my fully loaded kayak at the San Pedro office of the freight company on Monday morning . No damage , no tampering and nothing missing
I can't say enough about the friendly staff at the freight company, very helpful .
I don't believe a safe Catalina crossing would have been possible on either end of my trip, the conditions got extreme when I was at the West end causing me to change my plan .
Just be aware of the changing weather conditions and you will be an old kayaker someday.
If anyone has any questions , please email me or call me
Russ Kelly
951 768-6944 cell
Rnrkly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #15
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazzyGar View Post
Let's go....!!! Get the other guys on board.

Pass I got kids to raise LoL if you find someone to transport both ways I'm in for cat camping kayaking trip.

Last edited by Raskal311; 02-18-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #16
steve999

I looked at the boat in camping rules for Catalina and it says you have to have portable restroom facilities with you. How does that work on a kayak?
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #17
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
I looked at the boat in camping rules for Catalina and it says you have to have portable restroom facilities with you. How does that work on a kayak?
Mirage drive well
Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
Bucket and a plastic bag
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #19
SailorDan
Junior

WooHoo! I've been wanting to do this for years, just haven't had the time. I'll shoot you a pm, let me know when you are planning to go. I have a truck (Tandem Island) so I might be able to help taking stuff across.

I'm guessing you've seen these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BHAzDPW5So

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ssIvgV1GM
SailorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #20
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Valuable Intel - Thanks Russ

Had a great chat with Russ who shared his "Bucket List" trip with me - making me all the eager to make this dream come true.

My take away from our hour long conversation:

1) Plan on unpredictable weather - his original plan was to kayak around the entire island, but a freak weather pattern kept him on the front side.
2) Avalon freight is a great service if you want to do the "Freight" option, but know that it adds a day due the barge travelling at night. Might be an option if you would like to ferry over and return with the wind to your back.
3) You can pack your kayak full of stuff, but not propane, which you can get on the island.
4) Travel by the 1st week of June as tourist season starts shortly after (looking to do this trip in May!)
5) Must have WAG bags (something to drop a deuce in) or else the ranger will make you purchase theirs.
6) Parson's landing reservations requires that you check in at Avalon to get your key to your locker - you'll receive 2.5 gal water and some wood. One of the few campsites where you can make a fire - also has showers and bathroom facilities. This site also has picnic tables.
7) Cel service available at Avalon and Two Harbors - not available in the middle of the island.
8) I would travel early 4:30am equipped with lights to make sure that we arrive before noon
9) drink alot of water and make sure you do your morning bathroom break before you embark on your adventure.

He's also down to go again!

btw: received my sail and plan to do a training run of 30+ miles on Lake Mead. If you're serious to come with - start training now! This DREAM can come TRUE if you're committed!