Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #61
Margarita Mike

Prayers to you and your family, Like Andy the " Iceman " has said we are all here for you. Again, wishing the best.
Margarita Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 AM   #62
Tekniks

condolences! and prayers for your fam
Tekniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #63
BenCantrell

Davesdad, I'm so sorry for you loss.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #64
Master-baiter

Worst La Jolla report ever. 9.15.18

Like some, I did not know Dave but I have seen him at La Jolla, either on the beach or on the water. Like the rest of this community, it saddens me and I am so sorry to hear and I cannot imagine the hardship you and your family are going through. My deepest sympathy to the family and hope that someday you find peace and comfort.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Master-baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #65
fresh to salt

Davesdad, I am so sorry to hear about this terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with your family right now as I try to hold back tears at work...
fresh to salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #66
Orca Winfrey

Hi Dave’s dad. I’m very sorry about your son please take care.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #67
Sdspeed

Dave's Dad, My family sends it's heart felt prayers and condolences with the hope that the great memories of your son will ease the pain in this tragic time.
Rory B.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #68
Sivak

John:

Sooooooooo sorry this happened. What a tragic life changing event. Your description of Dave sounds like anyone of us competitive kayak fisherman. I never met Dave but I can tell you he would certainly not want you or your family to be sad at this time. There's no question he would want the best for all of you.

To the rescue effort group - good on all of you!

I don't understand why these things happen... Heart breaking story

RIP Dave, we will always remember you.
Sivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #69
DESTROYER

We have had some great tragedies over the past 20 years within the kayak community. Even though I don't kayak fish any longer I will always consider myself part of the kayak community. We have always pulled together and helped each other out in hard times. I know you all did when my Dad got sick.

John-

I did not know your son but like him I Love Fishing. I've always said when its my time to go I hope I'm on the water. As a father to young ones I can't even imagine. Please know that we are here to help in anyway possible. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Much Love- Matt Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #70
Amish Ed

John, I too did not have the pleasure of meeting Dave. But, I cried when I read of the decision you had to make. As a father, I can't imagine what you are going through. We are all here for you and thank you for keeping us updated.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #71
FISH11

I was taken by the response, within this wonderful community, on the tragedy that took Dave. I can't remember the last time a thread had over 5,000 views in such a short time. I'm not sure if I talked to Dave at LJ before, but he is very familiar and most of us meet many fellow kayak fisherman. I usually fish alone or meet people I know once on the water. To me La Jolla has special memories since I lived there in the early 60's, went to and graduated from La Jolla High. When I was young I walked all over the coast there and fishing many areas, around LJ. Now I enjoy the view of all the places I lived or fished in LJ, but from the different perspective of being on the water looking back to shore and I can't think of a finer place. I often have thought that's were I want my ashes spread. 2 1/2 years ago my Dad passed away and he also loved LJ. So when it was time I took his ashes and spread them from my kayak in the beautiful water off La Jolla. He's with me every trip I fish La Jolla as so many others that have chosen the same area to have their ashes scattered.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #72
fishwrap
Junior

Daves dad

Dave's dad Sorry to hear of Dave's tragic accident. My prayers go out to you and your family. Hope you and your family stay strong.
fishwrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #73
On-The-Prowl
Junior

Very sad. My condolences to you and your family.
On-The-Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #74
Davesdad
Junior

I need to tell ALL OF YOU how much these replies have helped my family out.Everybody in my family is visiting this site to read these replies and they've all said it helps so much in taking away some pain.I never expected this and boy does it help.We're hoping some of you are fishing Saturday morning.Some of us (family) are coming down to the shores to say thanks and wish you a great day on the water.
Davesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #75
newportdogs

Dave's Dad and Family, I am so, so sorry for your loss. RIP David
newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #76
fishfoo
Junior

R.I.P. DAVE MAY THE FISHING GODS SMILE UPON YOU
fishfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #77
Sheephead

Apologies for your loss. Unfortunately Dave and I haven't met but it would've been cool to have another regular on my fishing buddy list. He sounds like a genuine guy. I'm sorry If I wasn't able to help Dave as much as I could have that day, the location of his incident prevented me from thinking anything serious was going on and I was stunned when I came in contact with him and the rescuers. The lifeguards had mentioned they were taking his kayak and gear to the Scripps yard... where ever that is but I wanted to let you know in case they weren't able to.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #78
Markn
Junior

My mom was the recipient of a lung transplant. It prolonged her life for many more years and gave our children the opportunity for them to know their grandmother and for her to see her grand children grow up into the outstanding people that they are today. Please know that Daves gift will do untold amounts of good to many families and affect their lives in a most positive manner. His passing is a tragedy that must be nearly unbearable but please take some solace in the selfless contribution your son has made to saving and improving other peoples lives with his donation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesdad View Post
Thanks everybody for the kind words and your thoughts.This morning Dave was declared brain dead and is still on life support awaiting the recipients for organ donation.This is a blow to me and it's so tough i don't know how to handle it other than to reach out to those that helped and are concerned.They think he may have had a heart condition that causes a weird heartbeat and lack of blood flow which can cause fainting.We're just not sure yet.Thank you guys for the support,i need it.

Mark
Markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #79
Cbad Mike

News of the event traveled quickly through the community and I never gave up hope that all would end well and we would remember this as only a close call.
I am so sad and sorry for his family's and friend's loss.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #80
radastaff

Yesterday it was butterflys in the pit of my stomach.

All of our souls weigh heavier on this day.

So sad, so sad.

I did not know Dave,
but it does not matter, we are one
this community.

P
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote