Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
SoCalEDC

Baitcaster vs Spinning set up

Hey guys,

Im pretty comfortable with the bass set ups I have been running lately which are some 3000 size spinning reels, but I am interested in picking up a baitcaster.

Any reel pros to bay bass fishing with a baitcaster?

One of the things im concerned about is the versatility (or lack there of) of the baitcaster for the other fish in the bay. Sometimes I want to run a drop shot or carolina rig or have a second rod trolling while im moving around and jigging with my spinning reel. Is this still possible with a baitcaster? I know I can use those rigs with the spinning reel while jigging with the baitcaster but what If i want to troll with both reels as im moving around, is that possible with a baitcaster?

Thanks in advance!
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
Mahigeer

The baitcaster can give you trouble with backlash (bird’s nest), if you are not familiar with how to cast them. No matter how much experience you have with them, you WILL get backlash at times.

However, baitcasters with clicker can be a great second rod rig while trolling.

If you want the same feature, you need to get a “baitrunner” spinning reel. They are however, much quieter.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
goldenglory18

Look at the Daiwa Lexa CC series. Awesome reels and they have a clicker. I've even used then to catch schoolie tuna down in MEX waters.

Another great (bass specific) reel is the Tatula HD. I LOVED mine for inshore fishing. That reel spooled with 40lbs braid and 10lbs leader paired with a 7'+ MH weight stick will get you anything from baby bay bass to solid keeper Halibut. Ask me how I know.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
The baitcaster can give you trouble with backlash (bird’s nest), if you are not familiar with how to cast them. No matter how much experience you have with them, you WILL get backlash at times.

However, baitcasters with clicker can be a great second rod rig while trolling.

If you want the same feature, you need to get a “baitrunner” spinning reel. They are however, much quieter.
Thanks, I was looking at the penn spinfisher live liner and the fierce ii live liner as well, they both looked good and the spinfisher is a saltwater dedicated reel which is nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Look at the Daiwa Lexa CC series. Awesome reels and they have a clicker. I've even used then to catch schoolie tuna down in MEX waters.

Another great (bass specific) reel is the Tatula HD. I LOVED mine for inshore fishing. That reel spooled with 40lbs braid and 10lbs leader paired with a 7'+ MH weight stick will get you anything from baby bay bass to solid keeper Halibut. Ask me how I know.....
[img]http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/744/6_24_-_Halibut.JPG[img]
right on thats a nice fish you've got there. i looked at that lexa cc, it looks like a pretty cool reel. I'm going to read up on it and I will report back with what ever i decide to go with.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
Mahigeer

If you are going with Penn, get the baitrunner which also sealed.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
If you are going with Penn, get the baitrunner which also sealed.
Welp, after reading and atching a couple of videos, I bit the bullet on a Daiwa Lexa CC300H. I think Ive got some 40# braid lying around so Ill spool it up with that and put it on an ugly stik and it should be good to go. I will probably get the spin fisher live liner down the road a bit.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
Mahigeer

Tight lines.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
PapaDave

Bait casters = possible backlash. You can figure it out though and eventually eliminate the problem.

Spinning = Twisted line if the drag is pulled out by a fish. Very irritating.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
adalah
Junior

Subscribed to this one
adalah is offline   Reply With Quote