Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
aznative96
Newbie to plastic boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
I don't know about the other companies, but I can say that the customer service from Lowrance is no less than amazing. Saltwater can be brutal on any electrical connections. Lowrance has always backed up their products for me absolutely.

I splurged for the bigger viewing area of the Elite-5, which I think is minimum and perhaps optimal for the limited space on my Outback. Smaller would make me woozy trying to watch the details bouncing around in a kayak while I'm trying to concentrate on fishing.

Because this equipment is sensitive and expensive, I carefully wash down all electrical connections after every trip to get the salt off, including my bait tank switch. Then I blast the water off the plugs and out of the sockets with an air bottle. (I disassemble and clean my bait tank pump as well to remove any eel grass.)

I'm not sure to what extent it helps, but after cleaning salt off I spray connections with electrical contact cleaner and contact lubricant.

I am less certain about using dielectric grease because it is non-conductive. I tried it without problems, then stopped. Perhaps someone here can advise me about this. I'm also curious about treating electrical connections with WD40, since it's original purpose was as a desiccant to displace water.
I use 2 15Ahr SLA to power my Homemade livewell, Hook 7, and LED Nav lights. I get a full day without any problems.

Sounds like you are doing great with cleaning your equipment after saltwater exposure.

Dielectric grease is technically non-conductive but the use is to help keep any water out of the way of the electrical connections not to help make the connection. Think of the light bulb being pushed into the socket with a 1/4 turn. The contacts are what let it work.

As far as WD-40, it is a water displacement fluid (WD=water displacement) but it isn't a desiccant. It can help prevent water on your contacts because it is fish oil based and can stick to contacts helping keep water from being on the contacts. I would recommend the dielectric grease over contact cleaner and WD-40.
aznative96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznative96 View Post
Dielectric grease is technically non-conductive but the use is to help keep any water out of the way of the electrical connections not to help make the connection. Think of the light bulb being pushed into the socket with a 1/4 turn. The contacts are what let it work.

As far as WD-40, it is a water displacement fluid (WD=water displacement) but it isn't a desiccant. It can help prevent water on your contacts because it is fish oil based and can stick to contacts helping keep water from being on the contacts. I would recommend the dielectric grease over contact cleaner and WD-40.
Do I have to be cautious about using too much dielectric grease on the FF connectors to avoid interfering with connectivity? Or is that a non-issue when the contact surfaces are twisted into place? Will dielectric grease protect connectors from salt water corrosion? Would it be proper application to fill up the sockets with a big dollop of grease so excess squeezes out when they are screwed together, thereby keeping the salt water out? (That was my original plan before I was warned not to.)

I have heard conflicting "shop talk" about this from fishermen who are not electrical engineers.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-17-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

questions on how to power a fish finder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Do I have to be cautious about using too much dielectric grease on the FF connectors to avoid interfering with connectivity? Or is that a non-issue when the contact surfaces are twisted into place? Will dielectric grease protect connectors from salt water corrosion? Would it be proper application to fill up the sockets with a big dollop of grease so excess squeezes out when they are screwed together, thereby keeping the salt water out? (That was my original plan before I was warned not to.)

I have heard conflicting "shop talk" about this from fishermen who are not electrical engineers.

I use a shit load, always have, never a problem with conductivity or corrosion from saltwater.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote