Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #41
taggermike

Well done with the double. And thanks for the timely report. I love YT. It's great to see other year classes move in to our area. Huge home guards are great but a show of smaller fish is good news for the resource and the future. Those smaller YT, don't call them "rats", are often ready biters and lots of fun. Now I can start bringing a lighter out fit with out worrying about getting my ass kicked. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #42
CurtyL

I'd have released those two, but thats just me. Not sayin anything. I hope they tasted good. Man it's been a slow summer,. Fish on..

PS it's not hate to disagree with keeping these size YT's, it's class. It's being there and having done that. But thats just my opinion....which can't even buy a cup of coffee. I get it.

Last edited by CurtyL; 08-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #43
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtyL View Post
it's class.

Your location is "where the college girlz r"
You just scream class act. "Been there, done that" I throw the college girls back.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #44
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Congrats on the yellows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Hey, congratulations, don't listen to negative feedback. You caught a couple of YTs and that's good in our book.

Small fish equals better eating. And even those small guys can put up a tussle. Beats being skunked.

Besides, the experts say the big ones are the better breeders, so why throw the small ones back?

Yellowtail reproduce just fine, so taking some that size isn't going to hurt ANYTHING no matter what anyone else says. In fact, the tuna boats live and die with yellowtail that size at times.

Enjoy your meals. Good job, and thanks for the timely report. It's more than what some of the negative crowd will do for the rest of us fishermen/women.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #45
October
Fish Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I'm sure you'll be sorely missed. The kayak community will mourn your loss.
i love when someone deletes their post but the quoted evidence is still there.

for a moment, i thought this was a site sent from God himself. No trolls? No d bags? How can this be true!?

then this dude proved me wrong.... ah well. Watch out for his wake everyone. we have a badass here

Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #46
tptrench

You actually kept those babies? Jeez!!!!!!!!!
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #47
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Old 08-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #48
Kailolo

THANKS for the report! It's encouraging to hear about catches, as well as how!. Last two times out for me (including Aug 19th) it was el skunko. You start to doubt yourself. So keep the reports coming! Ignore the flamers.
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #49
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailolo View Post
THANKS for the report! It's encouraging to hear about catches, as well as how!. Last two times out for me (including Aug 19th) it was el skunko. You start to doubt yourself. So keep the reports coming! Ignore the flamers.
How many times have you fished? It took a year to get my first yellow, and I fished twice a week at least. It takes time, but you'll get there!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #50
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

congrats on the catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
No pleasing the crowds
and thats why some choose not to post reports, not that I know any of them.

crap just read thru 3 pages of this thread and burned the dang popcorn again!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Last edited by bus kid; 08-20-2012 at 07:34 PM.
bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #51
Iceman
Administrator

maybe we need to weed out all the chest pounding trophy hunters and keep the "fishermen" who get it.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #52
manini
Junior

Hi, I'm not new to the forum, but new to posting on it. I grew up in San Diego, but live in Hawaii now. I fish on a hobie out of E. Hawaii mostly. Congrads on your fish! They are legal and they weren't caught using dynamite, but human power instead. You should be proud of it and not feel ashamed in the least.

I didn't want to pipe in, as I'm new, but I figured now is the time.

The reason I left So.Cal was from the same A$$holes that I see posting on here......"My truck is bigger than yours, my fish is better than yours...BS" Don't listen to the negative comments, they are probably jealous. When I saw them, I thought...."Am I on the right forum? Fishing, right? Not some Forum where little girls talk stink about each others less than GI-nourmous catch...." Yes, I guess the haters always find a way to hate.

Well, Shaka to the comments that were from fisherman who you may actually want to be around, fish with, drink beers with and spend time with ( I do already!). Someday, some of the fisherman here will realize (like the rest of the world) that some of the best tasting fish on the planet, and the most fun to catch, are the smallest fish in the sea~ Hanapa'a
manini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #53
undrH2Ohntr

They all eat the same way....two smaller grade fish beat a skunk any day.
Congratulations.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #54
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrH2Ohntr View Post
They all eat the same way....two smaller grade fish beat a skunk any day.
Congratulations.
Your avatar makes me
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #55
YakMedic

I was going to stay out of this post but its still here so my contribution is this...

Nice catch.

I just got off a San Diego sportboat yesterday, we killed 175 Yt and only a handful broke 10lbs. Enjoy your fish, thanks for the report.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #56
Gigafish

Holy tail, How big was the Jackpot fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I was going to stay out of this post but its still here so my contribution is this...

Nice catch.

I just got off a San Diego sportboat yesterday, we killed 175 Yt and only a handful broke 10lbs. Enjoy your fish, thanks for the report.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #57
salty pirate

Thanks for reading my post and for all the replies. beside the report I hoped it would inspire someone to reply with 3 of a kind or better.

Quote:
I'd have released those two, but thats just me. Not sayin anything. I hope they tasted good. Man it's been a slow summer,. Fish on..

PS it's not hate to disagree with keeping these size YT's, it's class. It's being there and having done that. But thats just my opinion....which can't even buy a cup of coffee. I get it.
for someone who's not sayin anything you sure like to flap ur yap. first you crap on my thread then you quit fishing from a kayak cause someone craped on you. oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manini View Post
Hi, I'm not new to the forum, but new to posting on it. I grew up in San Diego, but live in Hawaii now. I fish on a hobie out of E. Hawaii mostly. Congrads on your fish! They are legal and they weren't caught using dynamite, but human power instead. You should be proud of it and not feel ashamed in the least.

I didn't want to pipe in, as I'm new, but I figured now is the time.

The reason I left So.Cal was from the same A$$holes that I see posting on here......"My truck is bigger than yours, my fish is better than yours...BS" Don't listen to the negative comments, they are probably jealous. When I saw them, I thought...."Am I on the right forum? Fishing, right? Not some Forum where little girls talk stink about each others less than GI-nourmous catch...." Yes, I guess the haters always find a way to hate.

Well, Shaka to the comments that were from fisherman who you may actually want to be around, fish with, drink beers with and spend time with ( I do already!). Someday, some of the fisherman here will realize (like the rest of the world) that some of the best tasting fish on the planet, and the most fun to catch, are the smallest fish in the sea~ Hanapa'a
yo cuz, no need to get all hopping irish mad. most of the replies were good!
p.s. the little yt taste the same as the big yt imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
thanks steveooo, don't know how I missed that one. 21.5" and 25" and dude will get the 2 fin sample's from me.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #58
yaky yak

My personal best is over 35lbs. The fish that I'll always remember though was my first yellow at la jolla, 8lbs. That photo is on the mantle.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #59
Fiskadoro

Quote:
I'd have released those two, but thats just me. Not sayin anything. I hope they tasted good. Man it's been a slow summer....

".....and the Bronze goes to......."

Actually fishing has been fantastic this summer, maybe you just need to get some time on the water.

As to the size, those small ones make terrific sashimi. If it was a slow day and larger fish were not around I might take one or two but I'd be tempted to slice one up on the water.

This debate reminds me of something that happened years ago.

We were fishing a skiff off of Redondo during El Nino~ looking for Dorado near the ship channel and found a paddy loaded with hundreds of tiny Yellows 10 to 18 inches long. By far the smallest yellows I've seen, and I've never seen so many in one place, it was like a huge micro yellowtail baitball.

It was slow day flat calm and we had not found any other fish, so we broke out our bait outfits and started catching them on 4 pound spinning gear. Totally wide open, just catch and release a total blast but we did keep a few that swallowed the hook. Pretty soon we see the Redondo Special a sportboat that was also looking for Dorado coming our way.

We fired up and moved hoping they wouldn't find that paddy but they did anyway, and they just slaughtered them catching more of them then we could of counted. Needless to say it kind of pissed us off.

A few days later we went out again and caught maybe three Dorado in the channel off paddies, and since we ended up near the west end of Catalina we decided to anchor up at Arrowhead point and fish them a second day.

In the morning I woke up, started tossing the dead dines out of the bait tank, when suddenly there was a big splash off the stern. I looked over the side and in the crystal clear Cat water saw a huge school of tails in the 10 to 15 lbs class. Wide open doesn't do it justice. My then girlfriend Jenny who had no idea how to fish caught maybe half a dozen just hooking baits on 40 pound, and dangling them out on three feet of line and watching the yellows smash them right in front of her.

I have no idea how many we kept. After a while my buddy and I just went to Iron and released them. The limit was ten a piece. We filled our ice chests and then the fish hold. Then we just sat around drinking beer tossing dines in the water watching the show as the fish chased them around the boat. On the way back we caught and released several more Dorado, just an amazing trip.

Later I posted a report of our trip online there were some bashers that said stupid things like guys like us were going to ruin Yellowtail fishing forever , others that knew what was going on and had a real concept of just how many fish had come up from Mexico were like: "Yeah Dude!!! Epic fishing!!! Congrats!!!"

The reply I remember most though was from a guy who was obviously stoked and said he'd just had an epic trip too. Turns out he was on the Redondo Special the day they found our paddy, and to him that trip was amazingly epic. They might of been small but to him wide open yellows were wide open yellows, if you get my drift, and all he saw was wide open fishing for good eating fish.

It really made me think. Ultimately though our trip was more respectable since we had better quality fish, those guys on the special taking home sacks of firecracker yellows probably did not do any more damage to the resource then we did, and considering how rarely most of those guys had caught yellows to them their day was probably just as epic if not more so then ours.

Everyone only sees their particular perspective. For me something like seeing guys taking little Threshers under ten feet seems kinda stupid and sick, but to them it's a big deal, and maybe the best fishing they ever had.

Small butts, little yellows, a just legal seabass, may seem like nothing to some but to others they are personal bests or even trophies. Everyone likes to catch big fish, everyone likes to show them off, but not everyone can consistently catch them. The idea here is to encourage others, not give them a hard time or say their fish don't measure up in some ways.

In that light as long as laws are not broken, I'd say lighten up. It's just two fish, no doubt he ate them, and it's just kayak fishing not the some rod and reel Olympics

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 08-22-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #60
undrH2Ohntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Your avatar makes me
thank you see you out there
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote