Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #41
Guyak

Maybe the captains are pissed that are their ex-clients decided to buy kayaks and actually catch big fish rather than the occasional calico, sandie, and baracuda How many 30+ lb WSB's are those guys pulling in?

On a serious note, I have not yet had the experience of getting buzzed, but I typically stay away from them when I can. They rarely stay in one place long. If they do come my way the camera will be ready. I would be hard pressed not to throw a their way.

I am a real mellow guy, but when it comes to the safety of myself, family, and others I have a real problem with that.

I say we just watch each others backs, get the cameras out, and continue to report these jerks. Just like they stopped the people from jumping off the cliffs at La Jolla by patrolling, it will not take long for someone with the proper authority to witness one of these events and take the appropriate action. In fact I would like to put one of the CG guys in a yak for a couple of weekends to see what happens.

Just a thought.
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #42
shogan
Junior

Can't defend them anymore

Used to defend the occasional incident given I used to fish and scrub on those boats and I know how hard it is to swing a 95 foot boat on the anchor. I always stay well out of casting range and paddle way around them even if they are setting anchor near where I am making bait or fishing.

My perspecitive changed last season when I had carefully stayed out of the way of the Dolphin, but the Dolphin clearly when out of it's way after pulling anchor to charge right up behind me before turning. It was so close it wraped my trolling lines on it's prop, spinning my yak violently. I called the landing immediately as I still know the number and told them what happened and asked them to tell the owner and the skipper what they had just done to one of their customers. Wish I had called my buddy who was a high level Coast Guard Master Cheif in San Diego at the time. The Dolphin was cool around us all on Saturday AM from what I saw. If that shyte happens again I will report it from the water and consider meeting the boat on the dock. An attempte at a citizen's arrest would make a point and be F'N cool!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #43
cioppino

This is not merely a kayak only affair. The sporties have equal angst against all small craft in LJ and rightly so IMO. I have worked for Tim V. many moons ago and have seen first hand what pBers and yakkers do to the sporties while they sit on anchor chumming up seals and a few fish if they are lucky. More often than not some fukin jackass thinks its okay to come within spitting distance and fishes off the bow, down the side, and through the chum line in the stern.

It gets old real quick. While they should never charge down on someone I can understand their motovation and anger. Those of us that know better need to inform others about some basic fishing etiquette. Example--Fishing with a friend who is new to being a weekend captain. He thinks its okay to fish right on top of the sportie. I told him this is a baaad idea and that if I wanted to fish that boats chum line I would have bought a ticket. He truly thought it was okay. I had to stop fishing to get my point across. He finally moved off the sportie and we found plenty of our own fish. Point is there are tons of guys like this and the sporties get sick of it.

They are out there every single day working and dealing with moochers in their chum slicks and people fishing waaaaayy too close to their boat. It happens in LJ, Pt loma, and the islands. Novice boaters who cant find their own fish get under the skin of captains who eventually let off a little steam and mess with a small craft or yakker. Its unfortunate and its one of those two wrongs dont make a right kinda situation.

What can be done about it? Reporting it is great. If it turns out to be a few asshole captains then the problem will be temporarily solved. Another approach would be to pass along some basic rules of the sea to our fellow kayakers and small craft weekend captains. If we respect the sport boats fishing space as well as other private boaters and yakkers fishing space things like this would not happen and fishing out there would be more enjoyable.

Find your own fish and fish with respect for others space.

....and those boats dont idle at 7knts. They cruise at 7 to 10knts and can easily idle slower and produce little to no wake. How fast are they going when making a chum circle and how much wake is there? Trying to say the the boat idles at seven kts is a weak agrument to the large wake that swamps kayakers they get way tooo close to. They can slow down and should when approaching small craft at sea. From their vantage point they can see everything clearly and should navagate with caution and respect for others.

the end
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #44
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkiller89 View Post
i went on one of the sport boats out of sea forth and there was a yaker fishing in the chum line that the deckhands had set up, so the captain started throughing irons at him!!! ...
This morning I was making bait west of the point in a break in the kelp.
The New Seaforth was parked North of me. No sooner did I drop my sabiki in
the water when irons started landing right next to me. The Captain of that boat
is irresponsible and a menace. Though I was not in his chum line and not interferring with his
business, he has no right to harass others (or encourage crew or patrons to).

I am taking pictures and will report all inappropriate activity.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 AM   #45
TomTurtle

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cioppino View Post

Find your own fish and fish with respect for others space.
Thats great but the Seaforth definately pulled up and dropped anchor within 30 yards of my friend and I on the 26th of May. And you know what? The bite shut down. Maybe they need to adopt this policy as well. Most of us have been out there for two hours our more before the cruiseliners show up.

The only appropriate answer is what Madscientist said. If you see them headed your way, grab a camera and a radio. Don't do anything more to provoke them. Put in a call to the authorities if necessary.

It would also be interseting to have someone from the CG on a yak one Saturday morning. Might give them some real perspective on how dangerous some of these actions are.

Shoots.
TomTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:31 AM   #46
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Grab the camera and radio if they come at you. If they anchor up next to you, leave, even if you were there first. You likely aren't going to catch anything, and those sporties are seal magnets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavster View Post
This morning I was making bait west of the point in a break in the kelp.
The New Seaforth was parked North of me. No sooner did I drop my sabiki in
the water when irons started landing right next to me.
If they can land an iron next to you, you are way too close. Move.

It's been a while since one of these threads has come up. Seems to happen once a year.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #47
madscientist

For what it's worth, it was very crowded this weekend and the sporties have to fish somewhere. I was actually glad they fished where they did because they were not on the generally "hot" wsb spots and did a great job drawing the pesky furbags. I have also on occasion forgot how much further one can throw an iron from the deck of a boat and consciously try to expand my buffer zone around them, particularly off their stern.

It's the deliberate turns to run AT a yak that are really unforgivable. I suspect that after a day of doing poorly, the capt and a mate are up there going "hey, lets go buzz a yak for fun".

On a side note, I almost got run over by what I think was Vessel Assist the other night. Idiot was doing 20 in the dark through the kelp. Clearly did not see my little light and I had to paddle like mad to get out of his way. Yelled at them on 16 and 18 and they slowed down and turn out to sea after that.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #48
Jimm H

So many comments to think about...

Okay...

1) this has been going on since I started kayak fishing in June of 2001. (I started because I was standing on the deck of the New Seaforth, watching kayakers go by with big fish while we fished for bass and bonita So, GUYAK, you are correct, sir!)

BTW- Brad would say to me that the only thing that's changed is that I'm sitting on a kayak now, watching kayakers go by with big fish... LOL

2) In all that time, no one has been swamped or run over by a sportie

3) That said, what they do is plain wrong. They are trying to intimidate, or at best, harrass us for their amusement.

4) Ciopino- what is the "legal distance" of a chum line? Since chum drifts and spreads, where is the line drawn? (from a practical standpoint, it is just outside iron tossing range.) It is their strategy and free choice to dump bait into the water as chum. It is not their right to declare a no fishing zone. Common courtesy dictates I give them some working room, but not the whole ocean behind their boat. (I've had them yell at me when I was a good 150 feet off their stern, passing thru)

5) It is stupid to work too close to ANY boat, especially a cattle boat. If you are fishing for bait or fish close enough to be "ironed", you are too close (*see (5) above)

6) Best way to get back at them is to show them your large, freshly caught pelagic species as they pass by. More of their customers will join our plastic fleet, and soon, we can all walk out to the kelp from the shores by stepping on all the kayaks.

6) If you whoop real loud when you catch a fish or broadcast on the radio that "I'm hooked up over here!" you will draw in kayakers, pber's and sporties alike to sit on top of you and share in your "happiness," or at least in your fishing spot. And, guess what? Code words don't work. They figure out the code words.

7) bassboyc-- Sport Boats do NOT idle at 7 knots... that would make for a really spectacular docking every time. Having both been on the boat and seen them slip slowly up to the bait barge on other occasions, I know that one is bull. (sorry) If not, they are very poorly designed.

8) Whoever it was that was "spun around" by one of the sporties tangling up your trolling line- was your trolling bait in gear when the prop of the cattle boat caused you to spin around? I wouyld think it would have spooled you, instead. What did it feel like to hook something that large? How would you have landed it if your line hadn't given way? More importantly, how much line did you have out? Two weeks ago I lost a fish (yes, Brad, another lost fish) when a kayaker tangles my line as he trolled his lure a good 150 feet behand him thru all the kayaks and boats. Not saying you were that far back, but.... how far back were you?

There. Enough trouble caused. I'm done...
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #49
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H View Post
5) It is stupid to work too close to ANY boat, especially a cattle boat. If you are fishing for bait or fish close enough to be "ironed", you are too close (*see (5) above)...
Just to set the record straight, I was not actually within distance of being "ironed". The closest iron
was 50 ft away.

I was making bait south of the anchor line at the edge of the kelp. I just happen to run over
a bait ball and dropped the sabiki for a moment. I wasn't in the chum line and
under no circumstances is it ever acceptable to start tossing irons at another angler. Period!

Everyone has the right to drop a line where the want. Common courtesy is important (especially on
crowded days). What I did wasn't stupid and I wasn't encroaching. No one was fishing that
side of the boat. It was a deliberate attempt to intimidate me.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #50
Jimm H

Guess I misunderstood

Sorry, i was responding to your comment of ..."No sooner did I drop my sabiki in the water when irons started landing right next to me."

I guess the "right next to me..." part threw me off. I thought you meant , you know, right next to you.

My fault.

I've seen Dolphin crew actually do that, and customers , too. Sounds like you were actually in the "legal to fish the chum line" zone outside of their iron range.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #51
cioppino

4) Ciopino- what is the "legal distance" of a chum line? Since chum drifts and spreads, where is the line drawn? (from a practical standpoint, it is just outside iron tossing range.) It is their strategy and free choice to dump bait into the water as chum. It is not their right to declare a no fishing zone. Common courtesy dictates I give them some working room, but not the whole ocean behind their boat. (I've had them yell at me when I was a good 150 feet off their stern, passing thru)

Iron tossing distance is not going to cut it when it comes to someones chum slick.

You cant cast an iron as far as you can soak a bait. Look at the way the boat is sitting, try and see where the current is taking their lines, and assume there are a few guys on the boat who actually know how to fish. Those few will have a bait up to a hundred yards out, maybe more.

An easy way to figure it out is if you are fishing and soaking a bait how close do you want someone fishing off your stern catching what could be your fish?

Have fun and be safe out there.
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #52
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cioppino View Post
An easy way to figure it out is if you are fishing and soaking a bait how close do you want someone fishing off your stern catching what could be your fish?

Have fun and be safe out there.
If I went by that rule I'd be pissed at half the yakkers in LJ (instead of the quarter currently on my shit list ).

As much as we need to give the sporties their space, they also have to recognize that if they drop anchor at 80-90ft off the hotel and slide back on the anchor, they are going to have a pretty steady stream of yaks passing their stern on their way out. It's one thing to respects a half mile of chum slick of someone sharking offshore, it's another next to the kelp.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #53
Siebler

"7) bassboyc-- Sport Boats do NOT idle at 7 knots... that would make for a really spectacular docking every time. Having both been on the boat and seen them slip slowly up to the bait barge on other occasions, I know that one is bull. (sorry) If not, they are very poorly designed."

Not all the sportboats idle at these speeds, The NSF Does. When your at the dock EVERY day watching them dock youll see. The reason that they Slide up to the receiver so nice is because they take the boat out of gear, Just as if you stoped paddling.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #54
Siebler

And Who called our landing today to report Deckhands hrowing trash at them in their kayak? I was on the boat today and no such thing happened. Making up stories is BS, Make your legit claims against Jason but why make up lies?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #55
Brad Wells
Junior

F the sporties, they try to demand respect from pbers after dissing kayakers, I'm telling everyone with a boat the biggest fish caught are in the sporties chum line.
Brad Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #56
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc View Post
And Who called our landing today to report Deckhands hrowing trash at them in their kayak? I was on the boat today and no such thing happened. Making up stories is BS, Make your legit claims against Jason but why make up lies?
I wasn't on the water today, so I can't say anything about that, but
if you're on the boat, you may do well to tell the captain that we are documenting
any inappropriate actions. If he's doing nothing wrong, he's got nothing to worry about.

If he tries to intimidate me (or any other yakkers) again or tries to swamp one, I will
call the CG from the water and they will meet him at the docks. I will have pictures and video,
as well.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #57
jackpotjoe
Junior

Tims a Pussy!

I fished on his boat years ago, if one thing went wrong he would have a tantrum and cry like a baby at the crew and guest. If he comes at me I'll heave my bigest iron at him. Then hang on for a wild ride. Joe
jackpotjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #58
Siebler

I see Jason daily and will let him know. The guy is truly a dick however i definatly see some over reaction and some BS coming from the kayak community. stuff that will only give us a bad name.

Trust me, ive had my Run Ins with Jason in my 5+ years of kayak fishing, I dont like him but his crew is great and i see a lot of people trying to harm them, Not cool in my book.