Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
jettytaco

help with Kern River fishing

Hey guys,

I'm going to Kern River this weekend for camping. I've always fished salt water. So no idea on how to fish the river. Your inputs are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Wen't there during 4th of July weekend. Fished everyday, upstream and downstream of the frandy campground. Even though they recently stocked i didn't get one bite. Water is relatively warm. Plenty of carp jumping.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
TroutBum

Try Kernriverflyfishingforum.com

They have a fly shop in Kernville. They can set you up with a guide or give you info where and what to use to fish. 1.760.376.2040

Hope this helps

Stephen
TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Lipripper92592

Depending on where you are camping. Just below Kernville can have lots of action, heavily planted, and the hold overs in the lake can reach that area. Right before you enter into Kernville, you will see the "rotary" sign on the right hand side. That stretch produces, splitshot half an earthworm on a small bait holder. Cast upstream and reel in to keep the slack at a min. Above Kernville, Check out the Johnsondale Bridge and upstream.
Small spinners, crickets, worms and PB seem to work. Nymphs and drys work if your into the flyfishing thing. Small bead nymphs and royal wolfs have worked for me in the past.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
pok
Junior

I know the river very well. You will want to fish the deeper holes, although I fly fish it, a light spinner rod with your usual trout lures will work (very small mepps, black panther, etc.) Salmon eggs work if you get them down along the bottom. Catch and release if you can. Good luck. Just Outstanding IPA is the catch of the trip at Kern River Brewing.

If you are fly fishing I have a lot more info.
pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
dewinwa

Spent all day on the Kern river today. Was throwing salmon eggs out around river park in Kernville and threw some salmon eggs and lures up near Corral Creek Lodge. Had quite a few bites but nothing committed. Tomorrow we are taking the kayaks out on Isabella to try for some action there. Let you know how that goes.
dewinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
jettytaco

Thanks for all the advices guys. I'm just using light weight spinning rod and reel. My dad does have a fly fishing setup that I could bring. I'm camping at Sandy Flat Campground. I'm also bringing my dualsport bike so I can move around pretty easily with a milk crate in the back.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
jettytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewinwa View Post
Spent all day on the Kern river today. Was throwing salmon eggs out around river park in Kernville and threw some salmon eggs and lures up near Corral Creek Lodge. Had quite a few bites but nothing committed. Tomorrow we are taking the kayaks out on Isabella to try for some action there. Let you know how that goes.

are you guys going for catfish?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
dewinwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettytaco View Post
are you guys going for catfish?
No, we are just going to go for trout and bass. No if we happen to catch a catfish then so be it. If your fishing the river I would concentrate on trout gear as that is about all there is aside from sucker fish. Don't expect monster trout either, all you'll really need is #8-#12 hooks and a small split shot just big enough to get you to the bottom but small enough for the current to still carry it down stream or small trout lures for the deep holes. I haven't fished the lake in a very long time and it is so low it's sad but I have the kayaks up here so figured I'd wet a line while paddling around with the family. Last but not least, you won't catch anything if your lines not in the water.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
Lipripper92592

That's the Kernville Park in the background. Everyone seems to lazy to walk downstream to this spot. There are a lot of pools between this spot and the "old Cemetery"
When the "holdovers" spawn out the cemetery area is loaded with large fish, both bass and trout.
I think I probably landed over 20 that day which was in late May.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7538.jpg (107.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
jettytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
That's the Kernville Park in the background. Everyone seems to lazy to walk downstream to this spot. There are a lot of pools between this spot and the "old Cemetery"
When the "holdovers" spawn out the cemetery area is loaded with large fish, both bass and trout.
I think I probably landed over 20 that day which was in late May.
Thanks man. What kind of tackle were you using?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
Lipripper92592

Ultralight 4lb test small spitshot depending on depth and current, small bait holder hook, half an earthworm. My wife and I used to fish this area when we lived in Bakersfield. Quite a few 5-8lb LB in this area as well, feeding on the planted trout.
You can launch a kayak at the park and drift to the mouth of the lake. This would open some productive areas that cant' be reached by shore. There shouldn't be any rapids past the park as I've seen some bass boats up the that far without any issues, (depending on flow rates).
Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #13
jettytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
Ultralight 4lb test small spitshot depending on depth and current, small bait holder hook, half an earthworm. My wife and I used to fish this area when we lived in Bakersfield. Quite a few 5-8lb LB in this area as well, feeding on the planted trout.
You can launch a kayak at the park and drift to the mouth of the lake. This would open some productive areas that cant' be reached by shore. There shouldn't be any rapids past the park as I've seen some bass boats up the that far without any issues, (depending on flow rates).

My buddy digs up earthworms as well for his freshwater fishing. He said its more effective than nightcrawlers. Is that true?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
dewinwa

So we went out on the lake on Tuesday and no luck. Spoke with a few other people out on the water and the story was the same. A few bites but no catches. Went up the river about 15 miles above Kernville and caught a few trout, most were on the smaller side but still fun to catch. Used ultralight pole, 4 lb test line, small split shot, #10 hooks and salmon eggs. Casting up river and letting it float back down. Hope your coming up early as the campgrounds along the river were starting to fill up this afternoon. Still plenty of open spots but they will be filling up fast tomorrow I am sure. Good luck and stay safe. As for me, I'll be nursing a broken toe after smashing it on a rock today. Caught fish so totally worth it....
Old 08-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
radastaff

try fly and a clear bubble half filled with water
check local fishing shop for current hatch patterns
I use to like to hit the area around the bridge near Johnsonville
or spots above Kernville tween the campgrounds
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
battleborn

If you got a fly rod a stimulator is money everytime I make it up there. If they dont want the dry hook a dropper to it and use Kern candy or a stonefly (turn over a few rocks to see what size and color but golden works pretty well). Stop by Guy's shop in kernville. They should have the latest dope.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote