Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Smokin' YT and more....

This has been a successful fishing summer for me, and this year I acquired a nice smoker. I have really been enjoying several flavors of smoked Yellowtail and Tuna. Right now I am enjoying yellowtail with a teriyaki-flavor with a mix of Alder wood and Mesquite smoke, so good!

If any of you guys in the kayak family have excess fish they want to smoke, maybe I can help you out. I have one of the Smoke Vault smokers, and being that it is on a propane system, I can get a real good flavor and fully cooked fish in about one hour, plus or minus time wise depending on the thickness of the filets.

I live in the Fletcher Hills – La Mesa area, and if you bring over already fileted, and marinated fish, plus a good beer or two, we can smoke it up and all I want is a good story and a few bites of the fish.

There are many ways to marinate the fish, but the easiest way I have found is the “Soyaki” or “Hawaiian Soyaki” from Trader Joes. So far most of my batches are teriyaki-style, but I want to experiment with many more. I tried wasabi on one batch, and that was fine as well.

If any of you guys have recommendations for marinade or wood to use, please chip in.

Sure gotta appreciate this wonderful resource we have in San Diego and California, and this just makes me appreciate it more.

PM to me if you want to show up and smoke some. (Fish)

Ps…. This was also a summer where both me and my kids released Yellowtail. It was wonderful to see the delighted looks on their faces years ago when they caught their first YT’s, but this summer was special when we had enough, and they got to release some…. That is a sign of growing up: “Limiting their catch, not just catching their limits”.

seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Nice.
Baja traveler post up a link a while back for some chips. I got a few pounds and it made for some good WSB and YT

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ghlight=burbon

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

killer yt

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

Wow, got me smiling from ear to ear.........and hungry.

You ever try just putting on only dry ingredients?

Last year I tried some YT with Salt, Pepper and a greek seasoning. Don't remember the name exactly, yellow, white can with a picture of a chef. Super!

Now, if I could just catch some damn YT!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Dannowar

I have an old barrel smoker that I use quite frequently. I usually soak my yt in a salt and brown sugar brine and smoke it at about 350 for about an hour and a half. I use almond wood from Bevmo. I love the old school smokers. I love having to maintain temperature by throwing more wood on the pile and I love smelling like I just burnt down a forest.
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

pictures of these smokers would be nice. even better would be pictures of said smoked slabs...
Old 09-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
finyak

2 liters of water, 3/4 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar.Let it sit in the brine for about 24hrs.Pull from the brine pat dry and let sit for about an hour.Smoke with old oak wine barrel chips for 1.5 hrs. and with pineapple juice in the water try.I do this with all my fish and did some bluefin bellies a few weeks back OMG you would not belive how good it was, a very rich oily smokey tasty flavor.I have 1 more Bluefin belly that I already soaked in brine and vacum packed and put in the frezzer.I never tried that before it will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Finyak
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Glad you had a good summer! Sure looks like you caught a bunch of nice fish this season.

Really nice of you to offer to smoke everybodys fish!
Sounds like LJ isn't the only great resource in San Diego.....his name is SEAQUINN!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
ericko

Has anybody smoked halibut???
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
T Bone

best to smoke oily fish like Tuna-YT-Bonito-Salmon.

Other types of fish end up too dry.

I just smoked 6 # of YT over the weekend.I used mesquite which was flavor overkill,Brine was Yamasa teriyaki and brown suger.It is more addictive than crack...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Just had some last week....K-I-L-L-E-R-!!!!! very good!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

I did halibut before.

It was a little more dry than I like. I'm sure there may be a way to infuse some moisture into it. Otherwise just wrap it in bacon
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Here is the smoker I use: (and some nice results at the bottom!)

Wish I had smoked fish photos.... but I don't have any.... .just looks like smoked fish. Thanks for the input guys. And as for fishing..... it looks like time to go on the offshore boats right now. I "may" go Friday, but I don't have much freezer room right now! Early this summer, true story, coming back from the Islander overnight trip, with kayaks, we only had a few small fish..... well, the dock was covered with tuna from another boat returning from a 16-day trip, with 28 tons of tuna! So.... with my youngest son, we quickly made friends and took home a free 102-pound Yellowfin! Lots of BBQ on that one!

Here's a photo of the BBQ that night! With WSB and YT as well.... too nice!

seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
mtnbykr2

mmmmmmmmmm smoked fish.......let's eat
congrats on the epic YT summer you have had...
I have done halibut, it is a bit dry, but if you keep a tray of liquid close by in with it I use beer, it is ok....
Now I have to go get me some smoked fish.....
Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Nice smoker there.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Bigfishhunter96

If the smoke flavor is to strong us a light flavor wood such as hickory or apple chips with a teriyaki marinade goes perfect with yellow tail and tuna.
Bigfishhunter96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
ericko

thanks boys ill stick to grilling my halibut.
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
MrPukaShell

I use one of the Little Chief electric smokers. I brine with 1 cup salt, 1 box of Dark Brown sugar, whole bulb of garlic, one inch of ginger, red pepper flakes to taste and a gallon of water. Bring to a boil and let cool. If you like it a little sweeter add some Maple syrup. Soak the fish overnight. Take out of the brine and rinse with clean water. Place on the rack for about an hour with a fan blowing on it. You want that glaze to form over. It looks like your skin when you rip a scab off, a little sticky or tacky. For smoke fruit woods are awesome if you can get your hands on some. If not try Alder or a nut wood like pecan. If you have a BevMo near you they carry some hardwoods for cooking. I am a low and slow with 180-220 the desired temps. Try not to peak for the first few hours.

If you have fish that is too dry make a salad out of it. Some mayo & mustard will put the moister back in. Add wet veggies like celery, pickles & onions and your set. Break it out the next time you are with some friends with a box of crackers of your choice and you will be the hero for the day.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
blitzburgh

SA-WEEET.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
taggermike

Just remembering how much I enjoy smoked fish. Alder gives a lighter and sweeter flavor to fish that I like more than hickory or mesquite. Last year in Baja one of the locals showed up to a fish feed with some yellow tail jerky. Chewy but still a bit moist thin strips, super good. I think my spanish was a little weak to get the details but it would be worth attempting. MIke
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote