Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

DMV Kayak Renewal Registration

I sold my Kayak....last year, I think....it's been so long. I registered it as a vessel, because I put a motor on it. I just received letter for renewal from the DMV. I'm not going to pay the $36 nor submit a PNO, because I don't have it.

The other option is to submit a NRL (Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability). However, they want name, address, etc,. And they want it within 5 days of transfer. I don't know nor have any of this information, because I sold the "vessel" as a KAYAK.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to proceed? I feel that I just opened a can of worms for subjecting myself to govt. bureaucracy when I registered it and we all know that the DMV lacks any common sense; that's why they listed the vessel type as KAYACK"
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
tacmik

Drop the notice in the circular file. They (dmv) is so screwed up, it will probably be years before they come after you. Then you just tell them you submitted all the paperwork in their time frame and they must have lost it like they do a lot of their stuff. Now I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Motel once. the writer of this post accepts no liability as to the accuracy of statements made. It is the end user that accepts all liability for actions performed.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Drop the notice in the circular file. They (dmv) is so screwed up, it will probably be years before they come after you. Then you just tell them you submitted all the paperwork in their time frame and they must have lost it like they do a lot of their stuff. Now I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Motel once. the writer of this post accepts no liability as to the accuracy of statements made. It is the end user that accepts all liability for actions performed.
That was my first instinct....but they would probably hold registration on my other vehicles or get a letter from the state comptroller demanding payment.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I would probably not pay (that unregisters it), and if I was worried about it I'd report it to them as lost, destroyed, or abandoned.

Edit: found this at the DMV site: You may put "unknown" in the new buyer's name and address fields on the NRL form
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe

Last edited by alanw; 10-24-2013 at 05:26 PM.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I would probably not pay (that unregisters it), and if I was worried about it I'd report it to them as lost, destroyed, or abandoned.

Edit: found this at the DMV site: You may put "unknown" in the new buyer's name and address fields on the NRL form
Done! Thanks ALL!!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Fish Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post

Thanks for sharing this bit of info... as one day, I too may run into the same problem. I just moved here from NY and have a motorized kayak (BassYaks motor) and it is still registered in NY. I've yet to go down to the DMV and re-register it here in CA... just had too many other things to deal with right now that take precedence. I'm dreading it actually. Everytime I deal with the DMV, it's always something. The NY DMV was no better than CA DMV either... trust me... there are idiots on both coasts! ...lol

- Ken

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
DanaPT

not saying it is right but I was operating a motorized kayak w/o CF#s for a couple of years w/o incident.

This is small stuff. they've got bigger fish to fry.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
not saying it is right but I was operating a motorized kayak w/o CF#s for a couple of years w/o incident.

This is small stuff. they've got bigger fish to fry.

they do indeed, but with states in financial doodoo, any excuse to issue citations...any at all....btw....quota week out there in the west la areas....they are out in full.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
StinkyMatt

Don't register it. Waste of time.

Don't go making figure eights in the middle of the harbor with an unregistered 50 hp merc.

You in a yak having an electric .......

Don't over complicate your life.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote