Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
toadstoadsonly

Damn Sea Dog Bit me!!

I normally fish the beach for Halibut but due to the huge swells I opt to fish inside the harbor for once and try to catch a legal in the harbor around the bait barge. One of the fellow yakers earlier in the day told me "Hey watch out for the Sea Lions they will try to eat your halibut". I thought that was kinda weird since I never had problems with Sea Lions and Halibut.

A few hours after I had a short halibut on while reeling it up I see a Sea Lion pup trying to eat it I quickly bring it on board so it does not get chomped. While I am trying to un hook the halibut the Sea Lion keeps trying to get on top of my yak so it could eat the Halibut. I tried to push it off with my Carbon Fiber Paddle it would not let off so I hit it with my paddle. Keep in mind the Carbon Paddle is light so it does not do much to the Sea Lion. Right after the bastard came back up and bit my leg good thing I was able to move my leg out of the way so the dog did not chomp down on it. I grabbed by gaff afterwards and got it ready and sure enough he still tried to get on my yak, a good whack with the back of my gaff sent it running. I am unsure if I should call DFG or the harbor and report it as a problem animal, if I were a small kid this Sea Lion could of done some major damage.

The same sea lion later in the day kept playing with another yaker since they fed him some bait. He stayed around them like a pet dog for a few hours trying to beg for some bait.

photo 20140518_202921.jpeg

Luckily it was a mere flesh wound and I got a good laugh out of it. Some boaters were rolling when they saw this happen. On a side note the short halibut are biting in the harbor no legals yesterday. The water temp in the harbor is 68 degree's outside the harbor near the beach 70 degree's. Water Clarity pretty crappy in an out of the harbor.

Since I am relatively new to yaking the Dana Area I ended up venturing North my first time to see what I could catch. Thanks for the distance reference to everyone who chimed in on my question on the General Section. The week Prior instead of pedaling at night I opt to head out in the day so I could see whats out there. I went North to Salt Creek while fishing in the kelp I hooked something that I thought was a Seabass it was peeling drag huge head thumps. When it came up it was the last thing I expected to catch a huge trigger fish, I dropped down hooked another one. I yell to my buddy Jim to get his ass over to this spot he hooks and lands 3 more I dump a few.

toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Whaaaat?!!!! You hurt a seal?!!!!

Your going to jail buddy!!!! Im tell'n the seal lady!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Holy Crap! Man your lucky he didn't bite you worse... I was just telling my buddy how good Trigger Fish taste in Ceviche. THanks for the report.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
5-20

Wonder if whacking that thing with a bat (only in self-defense, of course...) would have helped or made things worse...

No seadog (insert blank) smilie to choose from?
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstoadsonly View Post
The same sea lion later in the day kept playing with another yaker since they fed him some bait. He stayed around them like a pet dog for a few hours trying to beg for some bait.
There's the problem, right there. You should have shown that Yaker the why you should never purposefully feed those dogs.

Nice Trigger fish though!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
captnblood34

Attached Images

captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
CKallday71

I'll feed the dolphins and even occasionally the pelicans but NEVER the dogs! They are WAY too much of a pain in the butt and are TOO dangerous if they get too familiar.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
bwana

RABIES

I hate to bring on the bad news...

Years ago after an incident while lobster hooping I researched the incident of rabies occurring with seals and sea lions. Although rare, there are cases in California.

You might want to see a doctor.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
oneyedeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
I hate to bring on the bad news...

Years ago after an incident while lobster hooping I researched the incident of rabies occurring with seals and sea lions. Although rare, there are cases in California.

You might want to see a doctor.
2x and the shot is gonna hurt
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Hopefully nobody chimes in on how upsetting it was you hit a sea lion, I would have done the exact same thing. That sucks it was that persistent since I imagine it'll only get more aggressive as time goes on and once it's bigger it'll be a huge liability to yakkers.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
bwana

HANG THE BASTARD

Quote:
toadstoadsonly:

The same sea lion later in the day kept playing with another yaker since they fed him some bait.
Oh, and by the way...

What idiot, especially on a kayak, FEEDS seals and sea lions bait?

Lets train them to annoy all of us.

Why not just teach them to flip us over so they can have all our fish and bait?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
Raskal311

WTH a trigger?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
bolocop

Rabies?

If you think rabies is a possibility, you should see a doc quick! I think you have only a few days of incubation before symptoms show up, if infected.

Once symptoms show up, the vaccines and treatments are useless so the disease is incurable and death will result! Check it out for yourselves, it's no joke! No, I'm not kidding!

Now how many reported cases of seals/sea lions having rabies is unknown to me, but if you want to nip it in the bud, go see a doc NOW!

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

On this weeks episode of how I almost killed myself....

RABIES!!!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
WTH a trigger?
+1
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
On this weeks episode of how I almost killed myself....

RABIES!!!

Is that foamy mouth from rabies?
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #17
bwana

I couldn't find what I had previously read on CA DFW's website about rabies and seals/sea loins in CA since it is buried in an archieve, but did come across this...

PUBLIC HEALTH SIGNIFICANCE OF MARINE MAMMAL DISEASES, BY C.D.BUCK & J.P.SCHRODER
TAKEN FROM THE CRC HANDBOOK OF MARINE MAMMAL MEDICINE; HEALTH, DISEASE, AND REHABILITATION.
“with some diseases, such as rabies, one might be tempted to dismiss the risk of contracting the disease from marine mammals as non existent; however, rabies has been documented in a wild seal. All marine mammals are capable of contracting rabies, and workers who deal with wild marine mammals must consider the risk when planning their vaccinations or seeking treatment for bite wounds.”
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
toadstoadsonly

I am sorry guys but I feel bad for the seal after it bit me I think I gave it Rabies now he is screwed Lol.

I was going to say f it I dont need to go to the Doc but everyone was getting on my case the doctor said Sea Lions have very bad bacteria in their mouths and when bitten it could get serious. My wound was a little swollen and the doctor gave me some meds she said if it hurts or the swelling does not go down she is going to chop off my leg. JP She said I would have to come back and get some sort of shot. As of right now no swelling no paid the so I am assuming I am not going to die.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #19
toadstoadsonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
+1
The craziest part about the trigger's I saw a school of 20 of them that's why I set up on the spot. First they were very timid and did not want to come to the kayak, I sat on the spot for a couple of hours and when the current was right they were on the chew. We caught 5 triggers withing an hour span and probably got hit about 20 times.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #20
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Interesting

I was fishing with my uncle in his boat out at SI. As we were entering to the boat launch area, a huge bull sea lion began following us. He was inches from the prop and my uncle kept saying, "why doesn't he eat THAT!". But no joke, when we tied up to the little dock, the thing jumped up so high to get to our bait tank, I swear I thought he was going to jump into the boat! I have never seen them do that! Getting pretty aggressive if you ask me!

J