Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #21
newportdogs

I live in Newport Beach and have been launching there for 8 years. This is clearly money talking, total BS. There are many kayakers launching there, not just those who fish. Here are the hand carried boat launch sites as of today from the city website. Notice launch site 39, OCHD Boat Docks, that’s the docks next to the beach. I will be taking this map down to the Coast Guard Station this week to confirm whether or not 39 still exists and what it means. Parking can’t be the issue, you can park on the street.

After I confirm what’s going on I’m looking forward to discussing this with my city councilman, Duffy Duffield. The last time I tried to contact him it was crickets, he’s worthless. Too busy selling Duffy boats.

http://www.newportbeachca.gov/home/showdocument?id=1269
newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #22
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

The city of Newport Beach e-mailed me back.... I'm going to try to get an address and name so I can start documenting:

Good morning Frank,

Our Dock Master would be the person that you will want to speak to regarding kayak launching in Newport Beach. They will be able to further assist and let you know where it is permitted.

They can be reached at 949-270-8159.

Thank you.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #23
stevie951
Lurker

Contact the news stations.. If they can't do anything we sure can't..

I wrote KTLA, ABC7, CBS4, and Fox 11...

KTLA 5: http://ktla.com/2014/06/13/send-ktla...-a-story-idea/

Fox 11: fox11news@foxtv.com .. To the attn. of Lisseth

ABC7: http://abc7.com/news/submit-news-tips/27721/

CBS4: https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/have-a-news-tip/

THIS IS CRAP!

Hopefully there is some resolve in favor of us fisherman because yeah, seems we are being squeezed of every last little resource available to us unless you are willing to pay the fees and taxes for running a large boat/operation..

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #24
ful-rac
Emperor

One by one our access to launching locations are restricted and or taken away...I get a bad feeling redondo is next with the city's stupid insane waterfront project. Kayakers are definitely not welcome...
Old 06-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #25
DPevin

This is so dumb and makes no sense. Perfectly good place to launch a kayak and park and not bother anyone or be in the way. Now what? we are going to have to go to the island or peninsula and add to the already horrendous parking and traffic situations there?

Sure would have been nice of them to put this out there before deciding on it so that we could have a say...
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #26
DPevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportdogs View Post
I live in Newport Beach and have been launching there for 8 years. This is clearly money talking, total BS. There are many kayakers launching there, not just those who fish. Here are the hand carried boat launch sites as of today from the city website. Notice launch site 39, OCHD Boat Docks, that’s the docks next to the beach. I will be taking this map down to the Coast Guard Station this week to confirm whether or not 39 still exists and what it means. Parking can’t be the issue, you can park on the street.

After I confirm what’s going on I’m looking forward to discussing this with my city councilman, Duffy Duffield. The last time I tried to contact him it was crickets, he’s worthless. Too busy selling Duffy boats.

http://www.newportbeachca.gov/home/showdocument?id=1269
That map is from 2001...
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #27
Zed
BANNED

Newport Dunes Launch Ramp is only 40min from the harbormouth at the posted no wake speed of 5mph.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #28
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I guess I got that Launch all to myself then!!! Last traffic ticket (expired Drivers License) Judge told me it was a misdemeanor (potentially 6 months in jail), and how would I like to plea. So I handed him a Affidavit which I filed on the record advising him that I was going to File Felony Charges against him if I was deprived of my rights under color of Law Pursuant to Title 42 USC 1983. (I'll see you're misdemeanor and raise you a FELONY!! ) He could've been looking at a minimum of a year in Federal Prison and 100k fine!

CASE DISMISSED!

Know your rights people and there's nothing to worry about.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #29
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
I guess I got that Launch all to myself then!!! Last traffic ticket (expired Drivers License) Judge told me it was a misdemeanor (potentially 6 months in jail), and how would I like to plea. So I handed him a Affidavit which I filed on the record advising him that I was going to File Felony Charges against him if I was deprived of my rights under color of Law Pursuant to Title 42 USC 1983. (I'll see you're misdemeanor and raise you a FELONY!! ) He could've been looking at a minimum of a year in Federal Prison and 100k fine!

CASE DISMISSED!

Know your rights people and there's nothing to worry about.

You are right...

These Municipal Codes are statutory rule violations.
There are no injured partys.
You are correct… these are statutory regulations and police can cite you on statutory regulations, it is their job.
What they do is against our Constitutional Rights because there is no injured partys for them to take us to court and there is no written contract.

But if you get a ticket… you still need to spend your personal time/money preparing for the court… writing a Demur on why the court should not hear the case…. Write in for Judicial Notice and Discovery and Brady Request… It’s a lot of non-paid time … for the harassment we receive….

The officer can just write the ticket and then get paid for showing up to court… not knowing anything but what statue was broken, There is no crime without the rule….

That given said… I can probably assume most kayakers live check to check.. they are not going to take the time to fight these regulations and so these Large City just Trample over them.

Kayaking and traveling by water way is so old that it has Been our right since the birth of time…. But now they want to subject us to their laws by making us sign a Boater card license and take a class….

Now if the City can prove, it is their own private property…. I think that would change the story… Is it public land or private land?

The problem is that I don’t know the History there… was that Man made.. is it considered Private Property…?

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #30
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
You are right...

Now if the City can prove, it is their own private property…. I think that would change the story… Is it public land or private land?

The problem is that I don’t know the History there… was that Man made.. is it considered Private Property…?
If it is private, then the same rules and regs need to be applied to those outriggers and their owners.. Like you said, our rights are being trampled on, and it is upon us to stand up for them..

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #31
jorluivil

I wish i had admin rights to close threads but not all of them though, just the ones that Frank is on

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #32
Ggiannig89

It might be a good idea to contact fish and wildlife. Access is a big part of keeping fisherman fishing. Less Fishing license sold means lower budget for fish and wildlife. There’s a direct bill from the federal government that provides grants to building ramps, docks, and launches to provide access. I don’t recall this grant but a fish and wildlife manager might be familiar.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #33
UlaHei
Junior

I launched from there this past Saturday, June 23. It was business as usual, no signs warning of any impending changes. There were a 9 or 10 kayak fishers in the basin that morning. I assume most launched from the CG beach. Now what are we going to do?
Yeah it's probably are the Newport Harbor resident snobs. They don't want anybody else parking on their streets, using the public access sand between their houses, or even be on the water unless you own a house with a dock. They didn't want the white seasbass growout pen in the harbor. They are constantly trying to shut down the bait receiver operation. They tried to ban fishing on both piers. I even heard that some residents on the peninsula were painting their curb red themselves to keep people from parking. What is wrong with these people?
UlaHei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #34
fourtogo

Launching

I think I will contact the ADA about this . This a restriction of access for handicapped. 8-8 restriction is going kill a lot business in the bay . This sounds just like Malibu and NIMBYS . BEACHES ARE PUBLIC PROPERTY. If rowers are using this beach . They are going have to show they ether own it or they have the only access permission . Which would go against public access codes .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #35
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtogo View Post
I think I will contact the ADA about this . This a restriction of access for handicapped. 8-8 restriction is going kill a lot business in the bay . This sounds just like Malibu and NIMBYS . BEACHES ARE PUBLIC PROPERTY. If rowers are using this beach . They are going have to show they ether own it or they have the only access permission . Which would go against public access codes .
I guess these "Sovereign Citizen Cops" think they're above the law!!! Please see below.....

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting
upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the
State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the
people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be
passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water
containing fish that have been planted therein by the State;

provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season
when and the conditions under which the different species of fish
may be taken.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #36
fourtogo

Newport Dunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Newport Dunes Launch Ramp is only 40min from the harbormouth at the posted no wake speed of 5mph.
Zed you got to be kidding , in my boat at 5mph up to the CC area would take a hour easy .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #37
steve999

In the link to the city website, did you notice this clause:

"No trailers, dollies, rollers or other mechanical devices may be used for purposes of launching any vessel or watercraft at such locations, or for transporting them on beaches."

So even at the legal locations, they won't allow kayaks that use wheels, which is pretty much everybody.

This sounds like something the California coastal commission should be involved in. They have been eliminating local ordinances that restrict access to the ocean for years.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #38
wiredantz

I got a name and PHONE NUMBER AND ADDRESS

I work in the city's Harbor division. I would be happy to answer your questions if you would like to give me a call 949-718-3429.

Thank You,
Jessica D. Allen

The City of Newport Beach

1600 W. Balboa Blvd. Newport Beach, CA 92663
949-718-3429 | jdallen@newportbeachca.gov

Old 06-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #39
vmjchen
Junior

Was there on Sunday along with other kayakers, float tubers, we were all approached by a sheriff who informed us that we can no longer launch our vessels there. Vessels would include kayaks, outriggers, paddle boards, and float tubes. He told us the “no launching of vessels” rule has been in existence, it was just never enforced. The new lieutenant now in charge wants the law enforced because of complaints from other agency such as the harbor patrol and the coast guard who operate out of there about how crowded the parking has become affecting there ability to conduct businesses. He could not provide us with a different location to launch from. The parking rules will not change. If you are caught launching a “vessel” the fine will be $500.
vmjchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #40
wiredantz

Reply from city of Newport

Hello,

This is actually county enforced at that beach- it is a county beach and county tidelands. I called them this morning and they spoke with their leaders. They informed me that a sticker would be placed over the part of the sign that says no launching and they would not be issuing citations. This should rectify the issue for you.

There is no commission meeting that this was discussed at on a city level as this is a county issue.

If you have further questions, please feel free to give the county dispatch a call at 949-723-1002.

If you have city related questions, please feel free to give me a call directly 949-718-3429.

Thank You,

Jessica D. Allen
The City of Newport Beach
1600 W. Balboa Blvd. Newport Beach, CA 92663
949-718-3429 | jdallen@newportbeachca.gov

Jessica Allen Work in the Harbor Division for the City of Newport

Last edited by wiredantz; 06-26-2018 at 03:20 PM.