Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:04 AM   #41
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptredbeard View Post
Lol. I wish. Talked to fish and game about possibility of selling sportfishing catch at my restaurants. I thought it was impossible/very expensive but she assured me it was not only possible but affordable. Looking into it.
Interesting..... $98 ain't bad.

I catch a lot of lizard fish. How much do you think I can get for those?

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensin...-Fish-Business
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1438091951941.jpg
Views: 2994
Size:  56.3 KB
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #42
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
Hmmmm im experienced and I've done it ? As long as you have a game plan it's all good . How do you get experienced in such matters unless you try them ? I'm definitely not Hollywood about catches but to each their own
Yep. To each their own. Makos are the most unpredictable. They arent the same twice. Even from a boat, I'm wary w/o a fly gaff. There is just no protection from that buzzsaw on a 2-3ft gaff and 4-6in of freeboard. Thats all I'm saying.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #43
Fishin Phil

mako

I cut the spine and gills to let it die quickly and disable it. I too was weary because I know they can jump right into your lap and there will be nothing you can do to stop it. Also sharks have cartilage for spines so they can do a 360 and bite you very easily. Congrats on your catch.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #44
driftwood

Having Zed that, If anyone wants to gaff another Mako...be my guest. Mr Cptredbeard and company demonstrated how dangerous it is to gaff a Insane Mako.

If any newbie looses a finger trying to gaff a Mako, please don't post the bloody mess! nobody is going to have any sympathy for you. And not to mention- you could bleed to death.

Cptredbeard thank you, you may have saved a life.

BTW everyone!! if you like the taste of rattle snake, it's now legal to catch them bare hand. But of course to each his own.

Last edited by driftwood; 07-28-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #45
fishbullie
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyak13 View Post
Next time you do something so stupid save us all from watching it and don't post it, ridiculous that with all the rare and different species of game fish to be caught at Lj right now and yoU kill a mako? Glad i don't have your karma or the lack of brain cells
What's wrong with killing a mako legally? One less mako for me to worry about out there. They didn't target it, it took his bait, and he reeled it up. That last sentence was uncalled for, how many people do dangerous things depending on their situation? Are you some kind of forum police that regulates what can be posted here or you just hating on what someone did that you don't have the balls to do?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #46
fishbullie
Junior

Anyways...Congrats on the catch! Looking forward to see more helpful people out there and less haters.

However, I like to stay away from sharks and your video makes me feel better about cutting my line in those situations so I can fish another day.

to each their own. Tight lines!

Cheers all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbullie View Post
What's wrong with killing a mako legally? One less mako for me to worry about out there. They didn't target it, it took his bait, and he reeled it up. That last sentence was uncalled for, how many people do dangerous things depending on their situation? Are you some kind of forum police that regulates what can be posted here or you just hating on what someone did that you don't have the balls to do?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #47
cptredbeard
Junior

Thanks for the comments guys. I can appreciate both sides of the argument. It was no means a safe catch and we are not encouraging anyone to replicate it. Not planning on keeping another mako and will absolutely cut the line next time I hook one. See you put there!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #48
HobieScot

Mako Shark Attacks Kayak Video

Congrats on the catch. I'm just glad it all worked out in the end and no one was injured.

I have caught shark (including mako) on boats and have seen them do some wacky things once gaffed like leap 3 feet out of the water at boat side with a flying gaff buried deep in its side. We thought for sure we had her under control once we sank the gaff. Nope! That just pissed her off. She damn near jumped in the boat that had a three foot gunnel.

Just from my own experiences I would never consider trying to take a mako on my kayak.

You were able to do it without incident so my hats off to you. It's just not something I would try seeing what a gaffed shark that we all thought was near dead can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #49
Daiwadude

We're not tying to make a career of hunting makos, that was the last for me. It was a once in a lifetime catch from a kayak.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #50
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptredbeard View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I can appreciate both sides of the argument. It was no means a safe catch and we are not encouraging anyone to replicate it. Not planning on keeping another mako and will absolutely cut the line next time I hook one. See you put there!
You guys had the combined power of the beard and tkd for sure. Im sure youre still thinking about new ways to cook it.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #51
Iceman
Administrator

Did I just see a teaser for this clip on the evening news..................
Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #52
Irishman

I had one last year, Kevin was my wing man, after a sleigh ride and a couple of jumps got it to color and decided no thanks to a fish that I know can clear easily 6 feet out of the water with teeth like a spyderco knife.
His yak got a love bite as the mako tore under my bow on a run
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #53
cptredbeard
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Did I just see a teaser for this clip on the evening news..................
Lol. What channel?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #54
LBKayakDude

Looks like you guys made the news! Nice job
Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #55
LBKayakDude

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1438194835856.jpg
Views: 3295
Size:  33.3 KB
Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #56
Zed
BANNED

SMH Now Im getting pissed.
Of course it bit the kayak it had a f'n gaff in it. How long will it take to put 2n2 together? This shit is bad for the community and its not going away. Its right up there w the white hooked from the pier that "attacked" the swimmer. That had bad consequences for fishermen that took away fishermans rights.

Just think about the implications of this sensationalistic bullshit you might want to post.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #57
HobieScot

Why would you or someone in your party contact the news with this clip? Or at least allow it to be turned over to a news Chanel.

You know that shark fishing is not a generally accepted practice with the public, let alone in our own kayak fishing community.

All that is going to do is get people up in arms about it and give them more ammunition to take more away from us, be it areas to fish or size and bag limits.

Not a smart idea
Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #58
LBKayakDude

It looks like someone just grabbed it off youtube.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #59
driftwood

Adi, I think it's time to shoot this horse and put out of it's misery.

LOCK...time..
Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #60
LBKayakDude

Not that I agree with the shark lovers but a couple people voice their opinions that differ from the rest and you think the thread should end? Isn't this a forum where people can have discussions and express their opinions?
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy, girl scream, kayak fishing, mako shark, stolen fish