Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
BrianH
Junior

Gator hatch Version 3

Good afternoon, I had a question about installing a gator hatch on my Malibu kayak X-13. I happen to purchase a 2017 a while back from a guy in redondo beach, however the kayak was pretty much a blank slate, meaning it had no center hatch, rod holders, or even a gator hatch cut out. ( see attached pictures, if I can figure out how to upload them) 29AF8BD9-9F71-4A05-80FF-860CAB41CBBD.jpg0939A9C5-874F-4625-AEFB-21D7C8757AA4.jpg720E318E-C76A-4BC1-AB2F-B0ECDD39A403.jpg8D322DD8-10CF-4C6E-8AA2-89FBA573ECD8.jpg
I have installed rod holders, the center hatch, and wired a Lowrance elite 5 TI with a custom transducer mount all prett easily by myself. Now the next step is to install the front gator hatch. Malibu kayaks has confirmed that the V.3 gator hatch will fix the 2017 X-13. But I’m not exactly sure where to cutout the front hatch? I have not been able to find any videos on the front hatch install.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Brian
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
soyaky
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Good afternoon, I had a question about installing a gator hatch on my Malibu kayak X-13. I happen to purchase a 2017 a while back from a guy in redondo beach, however the kayak was pretty much a blank slate, meaning it had no center hatch, rod holders, or even a gator hatch cut out. ( see attached pictures, if I can figure out how to upload them) Attachment 24677Attachment 24678Attachment 24679Attachment 24680
I have installed rod holders, the center hatch, and wired a Lowrance elite 5 TI with a custom transducer mount all prett easily by myself. Now the next step is to install the front gator hatch. Malibu kayaks has confirmed that the V.3 gator hatch will fix the 2017 X-13. But I’m not exactly sure where to cutout the front hatch? I have not been able to find any videos on the front hatch install.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Brian
http://www.malibukayaks.com/pdfs/Bow...nstruction.pdf

Looks like 1.5” from the edge all the way around the hatch area. The hatch on my x-factor is 1.5” from the edge; however, my stealth 14’s hatch is cut right at the edge. I guess it depends on the gasket you have for it.

Last edited by soyaky; 01-21-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Additional info added
soyaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Hi Brian,

You might be a Diy guy like a lot of us are but I would say with the hatch I would suggest taking it to OEX and have them install it, that way they can guarantee you getting the best water seal you can possibly get.

I noticed on my stealth 12, that seems to be where most of the water intrusion comes in when I'm taking waves over the bow. Just my 2 cents.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
BrianH
Junior

@soyaky
Thanks for the info, I’m still waiting on the V.3 gator hatch to arrive so I can make my measurements based off the size/dimensions.
I wonder if your stealth and x-factor are different year models, and maybe that’s why the hatch is 1.5” on one and right at the edge on another?

@SDROB
I appreciate your 2 cents. I might end up taking it to OEX. Or even give them a call regarding the install.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
MrPukaShell

What do you plan on putting up there under the hatch? I would leave it the way it is and have less of a chance of watering the kayak
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
BrianH
Junior

@MrPukaShell
This is what I currently have, see attached photo.
F08D101B-99FB-438A-B9A6-ACA847768C12.jpg4443A5DA-FB99-448E-BE98-380D563A454B.jpg

It’s just some bungee cord stretched across to hold my vest and other quick to grab items when not needed in the harbor.

To be honest, I don’t do many surf launches And the main reason for upgrading to the gator hatch would be so I can store more gear for camping, as well as have a spot for my nephew or even my kid when he gets bigger. I’ve been throwing the idea around for a few months now about the upgrade On another note, it’s kinda unique because I have yet to see another Malibu kayak without a front hatch like this one!
I do appreciate your questions and input.
Thanks
-Brian
Old 01-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
goldenglory18

"however the kayak was pretty much a blank slate, meaning it had no center hatch, rod holders, or even a gator hatch cut out"

As a DIY guy myself, that's the absolute best possible scenario for a yak.

Enjoy!!!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
BrianH
Junior

@goldenglory18
I agree with you 100%. It was a steal of a deal that I could not pass up. It’s a great kayak, and I’m really happy with it so far for the price I paid and the money I have put into it. If I do upgrade to the gator hatch it’s going to run me about $210 with all the required parts. Crack of Dawn paddle sports got back to me yesterday, and one of their associates Put together a list as well as “step by step” instructions to follow for the 2017 X-13 gator hatch version 3 install. I was very happy with their team of employees who helped me out.