Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Croaker Dave

So I Went To The Birch Aquarium...

...and learned that many people who are against no-take marine life protection zones are against them for "profit".

For a while I thought I was in a place of scientific integrity and ethics...but it was the strawman zone, and I was looking differently at this place.

Then I had some fun with the big global warming chart on the wall. The one that shows CO2 vs. temperature for 600,000 years to prove that CO2 causes warming and it is rising now, therefore we're all gonna die. It looked like it was the old two-part proxy chart with the ice-core data that is off by 50% mixed with the modern Mauna Loa data to create the exaggerated hockey stick. As the manager came in to give us the 5-minute morning, I said to the kids "look at this chart closely, girls. See how the temperature is always rising first, and the CO2 rise follows? That's from ocean outgassing. Warming causes CO2, not the other way around". Then as the guy came to shoo us out for last call, my girls were furiously turning the generator cranks on the green light-bulb display and I said "Stop that, you're making too much CO2 by breathing hard". I don't think they want me back.

It was fun looking at all the fish and invertebrates. They have a lot of tanks. Definitely some great bait tanks there, an impressive BSB, but the WSB and yellowtail were small.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
taggermike

Many people have a zelous religous view of global warming and will hear no arguments against it. Any sort of disagreement with their Environmental ethics there for marks you as at best a fool or unenlightend and at worst evil or depraved. Facts or resoned arguments have no effect, they know what they know. I see this all over our society know, from religous conflict to political debate, err I mean 2 suits shouting at each other. Common ground is becoming less and less common. For a home town example of this go enjoy a "talk" with the FOS at the Childrens Pool in LJ. It's interesting/funny/sad/infuriating to hear some one tell you with complete sincerity that seals have lived on this beach for thousands of years. A relpy that the sea wall is man made, there wasn't a beach here before that, and grizzly bears and coyotes used to roam all the beaches of CA just got me a blank stare and then a dirty look. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
GregAndrew

I agree that the ones that are immovable in what they "Know" are lost causes as far as constructive debate. But we have to make sure their subordinates, students etc. hear the real facts before they become just like their would be molders. There side gets a lot of support from people that have only been told one exaggerated side of the story because of all the gloom and doom they inject.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
onetriphudson

Aquariums are awesome and on a separate topic, Al Gore can suck it.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
calicoSLAYER
Junior

fun fact the volcano in iceland a couple years ago put out more green gases than the whole lifetime of the human race and cow's $h!t put out more co2 than a car idling huh well i guess that means were fu@ked not really dumb hippies
calicoSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Royak

"...and learned that many people who are against no-take marine life protection zones are against them for "profit". For a while I thought I was in a place of scientific integrity and ethics..."

I love the Birch Aquarium, but sometimes I think it's run by loons. Lots of "ghost forest" propaganda, etc. We have to remember that it's parent organization, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, is largely dependent on enviro-foundation grant money to "study" subjects that will serve the agenda of those foundations. It may be science, but it's mostly political science.

Last edited by Royak; 04-21-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo
Royak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
FISHIONADO

I'm a supporter of Scripps and believe in their integrity. They have contributed volumes to our knowledge of the oceans and the environment, Scripps gave us the tide tables we use today, Walter Munk created them to support our D-Day invasion in WWII. Most of our weather forecasting comes from their early research. They do solid research and engineering and are contracted by some of the large oil companies for their underwater engineering. I'd be interested to hear where you did your research and formed your opinions.

Not a hater, just sharing anther opinion.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Royak

"I'm a supporter of Scripps and believe in their integrity..."

Well, I believe in its integrity also...its PAST integrity, that is; great names, outstanding science. There's still a lot of good work going on at Scripps, but its tainted by the growing trend toward pseudo-science. An obvious example of this is its blatant support of the MLPA. It's political legislation, not scientific. And the potential foundation grants available to researchers as a result of its implementation is widely accepted. Still, with the state broke and the economy in shambles, one can understand the temptations of this ocean of foundation money.

I've been a member/supporter of the aquarium for over 30 years, but am now starting to cringe when I write my annual check.
Royak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royak View Post
"I'm a supporter of Scripps and believe in their integrity..."

Well, I believe in its integrity also...its PAST integrity, that is; great names, outstanding science. There's still a lot of good work going on at Scripps, but its tainted by the growing trend toward pseudo-science. An obvious example of this is its blatant support of the MLPA. It's political legislation, not scientific.
This was my reaction as well the last trip to the Birch. Just stay out of the south wing!
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
yuana
Junior

Nice thread, I am glad there is at this forum and I can learn a lot from this threat.

yuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
sterling

You all have missed the BIGGEST POINT in regards to global warming.
About a year and a half to two years ago the "inventor" I mean discoverer of global warming publically announced that it was "bad science" and could NOT be proven. It was almost like the news ticker across the bottom of the screen, no one paid attention to it! Here was the F-er that started this BS stating "Opps, my bad, its not true". The damn liberal media whispered it and continued the policitally charged topic to the point that is it still up as scientific displays in "scientific houses." The enviro whackos are really out to F us all!
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
You all have missed the BIGGEST POINT in regards to global warming.
About a year and a half to two years ago the "inventor" I mean discoverer of global warming publically announced that it was "bad science" and could NOT be proven. It was almost like the news ticker across the bottom of the screen, no one paid attention to it! Here was the F-er that started this BS stating "Opps, my bad, its not true". The damn liberal media whispered it and continued the policitally charged topic to the point that is it still up as scientific displays in "scientific houses." The enviro whackos are really out to F us all!
It takes a naive person to believe that just one person started a scam that most reputable science groups have bought into. You people also distort the actual message by adding crazy stuff to it like "therefore we're all gonna die". I don't know so much about the Birch Aquarium but Scripps tracks and predicts climate change such as droughts and el ninos etc, not Mayan calendar type stuff.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Quilted Germ

Fishionado - What did that YT in your avatar weigh in at? It's huge! Sorry to jack the thread....
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilted Germ View Post
Fishionado - What did that YT in your avatar weigh in at? It's huge! Sorry to jack the thread....
50.2 lbs. Caught 1 mile straight out from the LJ launch with a dorado colored rapala cd-14.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Croaker Dave

[QUOTE=FISHIONADO;81834] You people also distort the actual message by adding crazy stuff to it like "therefore we're all gonna die". QUOTE]

Guilty. Their message was so bad, dishonest, and political that it got me going. Was shocked to see that at a place affiliated with reputable science.

I'm well educated on the AGW science and much prefer discussions on that, not the political stuff that poisons the issue.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royak View Post
Scripps Institute of Oceanography, is largely dependent on enviro-foundation grant money to "study" subjects that will serve the agenda of those foundations. It may be science, but it's mostly political science.
LMAO!!! Mighty BIG BLUE FONT you got there!!

Thanks for that info.

Has it ever occurred to you that you are insulting a shitload of people that actually have done a shitload of work for us over the years, and whose research has greatly benefited fisherman?

I'll be sure and tell my friends at Scripps that just happen to be marine biologists that those interesting topics they are studying like Thresher Shark, and Tuna migration, are just part of a eco freak agenda and only political science.

What's next are you going to demand we close down the seabass hatcheries because they get grants as well? I'm just asking because those hatcheries and the associated Gill Net Ban were pushed for by the very same scientists your slandering seems to really have improved our seabass fishing in the last decade.

Speaking of the last decade.... aren't you the same Royak from the Allcoast political board? That board and the constant conflicts it's spawned did wonders for that site.

If so good to see you on a board that has something that actually has something to do with fishing. I mean I've always wondered if you actually fish. Or if you just go from fishing website to fishing website posting political stuff.

I mean it seems to me...

Though you play lip service to fishing, your posts are largely dependent on your political agenda, and though it may seem to be fishing related, it's mostly just politics.

Then again I guess trolling IS fishing related.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 04-23-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Can someone pass the popcorn?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
Can someone pass the popcorn?

Oh come on now, haven't you ever believed in something strongly enough to defend it?
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #19
Croaker Dave

It was saddening to go to the Aquarium website and see the inflammatory labels "deniers" and "denialism" right up front.

I wonder how they are exempt from UCSD's Principles of Community that require a climate of dignity and mutual respect for each other.

I wonder how much of this attitude comes from Scripps pompous Prof. Emeritus Richard Somerville, who has a history of such intolerance and exaggeration. It has only served to discredit him, but he has not stopped. He seems to think that modern weather incidents such as hurricanes or the floods in Australia are proof of unprecedented runaway global warming, even though they have been diminishing in recent decades and have been preceded many times in the past by worse incidents.

Global warming “contrarians,” argued Somerville, are like people who argue HIV does not cause AIDS and that continental drift is mere fantasy. Responding to the reality that Galileo and Einstein were similarly viewed as contrarians in their time, he said, “An occasional Galileo does come along or an Einstein. Not often. Most people who think they’re a Galileo are just wrong.”
Old 04-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Oh come on now, haven't you ever believed in something strongly enough to defend it?

It's one thing to defend something it's another to make ridiculous statements.

Are there people that want to stop us from fishing? Sure there are.... but to suggest that all scientific research associated with Scripps is somehow anti fishing, politically based or "political science" rather then real science is utterly absurd.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote