Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Spyder

1/2 - Hooping with the Sherminator

Was at the lake near my house getting ready to run a few miles when I happened to look at my phone and saw that Sherm had called and left a message. Called him back, he was heading down to do some bug hunting. I said f#%k it and bailed on the run and went home, loaded up the van, and hauled ass down to the launch.

Launched my yak right at 4:00 and after a loooooooong paddle met up with Scott. Set my nets, enjoyed the sunset, and did some feeshin while waiting. First pull was all shorts, second pull I had my 1st keeper of the new year.

After about an hour a tin can full of guys showed up and took over about a half mile of area . Although they were cool enough to give Sherm & I our space, they unfortunatley brought the dogs with them. Freaking dogs were WAY aggresive last night. A few I was able to keep at bay with my paintball gun but a couple just came right up under & along side my yak and didn't seem to care about anything but getting at my bait. Nothing worse than feeling your yak getting bumped while out at night.

After a couple hours the dogs finally let up and we found the crawl . A few more pulls and we both had several more keepers along with a couple big rock crabs.

Called it a night around 10:00 and started that looong paddle in only this time we had the tide at our backs.

Total for me was 4 keeper bugs and 2 rock crabs. I think Scott had 5 keeper bugs. A good night out overall, decent weather, moving tide, good company, and bugs & crabs for dinner tonight .

Sherm has some pics I'm sure he will post tomorrow. Mine are of my haul and a pic of a hitchhiker I discovered in my yak this morning, some species of shrimp.

Good to be back out on the water with ya bro...

Peace,

Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Willy

Good post!
A quick question...
I've pulled those crabs up with many a hoop net and have always wondered if they are worth eating.
Are they any good?
Any decent meat in the bodies?
Just curious.
Thanks, and nice buggin report.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Sherm

Hey Jim.............about time you answered your damn phone and got out on the water. It was nice to have the wingman with me again. It had been way too long.

The hoopin was pretty good once the sea lions left. Pains in the ass that's for sure. The guys in the boat were ok about giving us our room but they kept the dogs around that's for sure. I think the dogs key on the boats more than the yaks. So far!!!!!

The interesting part of my night was when I brought a VERY LARGE octopous up in my hoop. I thought eel at first until I turned on my head lamp. This boy was big. I was pulling up the hoop right after I saw a sea lion dissapear towards my net. Half way up the hoop starts jerking hard and I thought I had started the tug of war with the sea lion. I got he hoop to the side of the yak and it got stuck underneath me. I have never got a hoop stuck to the bottom of the yak, Something was strange with this pull. I pulled as hard as I could and the hoop came loose. I plopped the net down between my legs and turned on the light. A big octopuss was in the hoop. This things head was the size of a basketball and it's arms were like the handle of a base ball bat. I reached for my camera and that's when it started sucking itself to my leg. The beak of this thing was getting closer to the important part of my anatomy so I decided against the pictures and for self preservation. Having pics of the creature so nobody cries bullshit on the web was not worth my cajones.

The night ended up ok with 5 legals. Nothing of size.....just keepers.

A good stoagie and finally getting back on the water with the wingman made for a very nice evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Good post!
A quick question...
I've pulled those crabs up with many a hoop net and have always wondered if they are worth eating.
Are they any good?
Just curious.

Willy

Hey Willy,

I only keep the big ones. There is quite a bit of meat in those, especially the big claws, solid meat. It tastes sweet, just like snow crab.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Willy

Good knowledge!
Thanks.
I grew up in NorCal and we would fish the dungeness crab up there...oh my those are good.
Sometimes I lust for some good crab, and I'm too spoiled to get it from the market.
Everytime I pull one of those little guys up in the hoopnet I ask 'em if they're tasty, but they're always a little crabby.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
NextBite

great job guys!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Good post!
A quick question...
Are they any good?
Just curious.

Willy

the yellow colored version
is really good according to me GF
no meat in the bodies
claws and legs
according to her

that hitcher
looks like a baby lobster

gulp has a new red bellied shrimp
looks alot like that
but with claws
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
the yellow colored version
is really good according to me GF
no meat in the bodies
claws and legs
according to her

that hitcher
looks like a baby lobster

gulp has a new red bellied shrimp
looks alot like that
but with claws

Actually, here is a pic of a baby lobster that tried to stow away on my yak last year. I think the one I got Sat. night is a shrimp.