Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #381
SASQUATCH

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeorK...ature=youtu.be

I had to make something to help make loading my Kayak on my car easier and to prevent messing up the wiper on the back window. Sure I could have paid $30 or more for an REI system or something already built, but where's the fun in that.
2 suction handles $5 each = $10
PVC pipe and fittings for both = $10
Pool Noodle, already owned.

Connected and tested best of all, it works.
where do you get those suction cup deals? looks like they fit the pvc perfect.
SASQUATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #382
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
where do you get those suction cup deals? looks like they fit the pvc perfect.
Harbor Freight, but you have to cut them in half, but for $5 a handle you can't beat that.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #383
SASQUATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Harbor Freight, but you have to cut them in half, but for $5 a handle you can't beat that.
great ingenuity, (sp?) thanks for the great write up
SASQUATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #384
gear junkie

Used to store the kayak on the harbor freight stand but always found the kayak tipping to one side and it was rather difficult to load it on there. Found a free used memory foam mattress on craigslist. Cut it lengthwise down the middle and it works great. Cradles the kayak awesome with no hard spots.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #385
ful-rac
Emperor

PA Rescue Ladder

Came across this idea from another dude on the hobie forum. Looked like a great way for re-entering your PA. All it is is rope attached to some kind of pipe, then that's attached to the back handle of the PA.

I tested this on Saturday and it worked great! Climbing on the PA from the rear seems to be the easiest way to get back on...at least for me it is. Is the ladder necessary to get back on...no...but it sure makes it a hell of a lot easier. I would imagine with waders full of water...anyway to make it easier could be a life saver.

In order for this to work, after you fall in the water...you have to swim over to the rear handle, give a sharp tug to the ladder, it will release from the bungee. You let the ladder hang down in the water, then you grab the PA back handle with both hands pull down and lift yourself up. As you are holding yourself up put one foot then the other on the ladder, lean forward, and your body weight should shift forward, and your back on. Then at that point you just climb back to the front seating position.

Stowed Position

Deployed Position
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #386
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Came across this idea from another dude on the hobie forum. Looked like a great way for re-entering your PA. All it is is rope attached to some kind of pipe, then that's attached to the back handle of the PA.

I tested this on Saturday and it worked great! Climbing on the PA from the rear seems to be the easiest way to get back on...at least for me it is. Is the ladder necessary to get back on...no...but it sure makes it a hell of a lot easier. I would imagine with waders full of water...anyway to make it easier could be a life saver.

In order for this to work, after you fall in the water...you have to swim over to the rear handle, give a sharp tug to the ladder, it will release from the bungee. You let the ladder hang down in the water, then you grab the PA back handle with both hands pull down and lift yourself up. As you are holding yourself up put one foot then the other on the ladder, lean forward, and your body weight should shift forward, and your back on. Then at that point you just climb back to the front seating position.

Stowed Position

Deployed Position
I don't have a PA but if I did, I sure would add this. Anything to make life easier and safer while Kayaking.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #387
easyday

Made myself a fish beating stick. Ive been wanting one one for a while and after a few beers me and a buddy built this with left over stuff found around the house/ garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1373958341906.jpg (31.6 KB, 1183 views)
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #388
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Made myself a fish beating stick. Ive been wanting one one for a while and after a few beers me and a buddy built this with left over stuff found around the house/ garage.
Sure its not really for sea dogs?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #389
tomahawk

be careful with the PVC. That looks like a health size and I have never hit anything with PVC that large. I have hit things with smaller (1 inch diameter) PVC and the issue is it shatters. Post up how it works after you beat down a fish or two.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #390
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Sure its not really for sea dogs?
if it is he forgot the nails!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #391
easyday

It works great its filled with sand. I tested it out hitting alot of stuff, took a couple mackerel out in the driveway and beat em into mush and the side of my kayak is alot more forgiving than concrete.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #392
Drake

Doing a slow and steady restoration on an ole 78' Bronco. It's going to be my beach runner/kayak hauler. I'm tired of my Jeep smelling like fish and salt everytime I come home from fishing.

The bed was just a smidge too short to have a good stable platform for the PA, and I really don't like the idea of a bed extender that has to come on and off. I don't have enough room for the stuff I already own.

So I whipped this bad boy up. Made from 1inch square stock. I couldn't find a foam pad long enough so I took a pool noodle and wrapped it in some nice abrasion resistance fabric I found at Joannes. The bar cost about $24 to make and the pad was $8. For $32 and some of my time, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #393
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
That is a nice simple solution for an extender.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #394
Dirty Curti

Found these videos on building a kayak cart.

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...art-build.html

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...ayak-cart.html

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #395
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Doing a slow and steady restoration on an ole 78' Bronco. It's going to be my beach runner/kayak hauler. I'm tired of my Jeep smelling like fish and salt everytime I come home from fishing.

The bed was just a smidge too short to have a good stable platform for the PA, and I really don't like the idea of a bed extender that has to come on and off. I don't have enough room for the stuff I already own.

So I whipped this bad boy up. Made from 1inch square stock. I couldn't find a foam pad long enough so I took a pool noodle and wrapped it in some nice abrasion resistance fabric I found at Joannes. The bar cost about $24 to make and the pad was $8. For $32 and some of my time, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Excellent idea!

Just wondering how long your kayak is? It looks like a PA, but not sure if it's the 12 or the 14? I have an Oasis tandem, which is 14.5ft.

Does the front of your kayak rest IN BETWEEN your seats? I guess I'm just wondering how much length of kayak is inside and resting on the truck bed+liftgate+extender, and how much is hanging off the back.

Thanks..
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #396
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Don't take this wrong because I think that's a good idea, but from the pictures it looks like a weak design with those hinges. Plus is that short of an extension even worth it? I think maybe a bigger tube on the tailgate with an extension tube that slips inside the bigger one would be clean and strong.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #397
FishNinjaY

I think it's probably good. I agree, that a tube sliding within a larger tube would be much stronger and eliminate the hinge. But, I think the way it is the kayak center-of-gravity (COG) is well in front of that hinge. I think this rear extender is not supporting much weight, and just mainly for balance and some more spreading or distribution of the weight. I like that it folds out of the way. Also, I could see it possible to add a short bar on each arm to span across the hinge to lock it in and further reinforce this weak point.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #398
Drake

I popped the original pin out of the hinges and replaced them with high grade stainless steel bolts. The hinge holds my weight at 220lb. Also, that little bit of an extension really was all I needed. It also gave me an additional place to strap the kayak down. I strap it like I would to any other roof rack. I'm an engineer. I though of everthing

The sliding tube was my first thought, but coating it to prevent rust was an issue, since the paint of the smaller tube would continue to scrape off
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #399
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
my weight at 220lb.
You on a diet?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #400
Jimmyz123

Another DIY Kayak Cart?

Yep, I built another Kayak Cart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2oGTiHLB8

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas