Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

2/21 LJ Bird piles, heartbreak and...

REDEMPTION!

Launched in the grey, stiff offshore breeze and shin slappin' surf. Once past the can, I decided to just let the wind do the work. I deadsticked a few different irons, before settling in with the Megabait in mackerel. I was doing the jig and yoyo with the second rod. started with the trusty 6Xjr in scrambled egg and later switched to the blue and white. Tons of bait on the surface. In less than an hour the wind had pushed me out to where I could see the tip of Point Loma. talked to Arne a bit, we could not talk each other into a bite so I headed out further. There were birds everywhere picking away at the bait, but the NW corner looked to have a good pile going. Made my way out there and chased the birds trying to figure out if the boils under were YT. I had a workout, as the birds kept popping up a couple hundred yards away. I would get there and they would fizzle out and pop up in another spot. Finally after an hour of running and gunning, a spot popped up right in front of me. There were sardines galloping out of the water right toward me and as they got closer I could see the YT right on their heels. Tossed the Megabait and got picked up quick. Fish took me way down in the spool and kept going, pulling me fast into the wind. Finally felt I was getting close to color, put the gaff in my lap. A few headshakes and another run down and pop. The hook tore out. Back to the run and gun. Got lucky and had a similar spot coming right at me. Fired and hooked up. Turned out to be the biggest batch of boiling fish all morning and I was hooked up, getting dragged right through the battlefield, Birds, boils and a big ol BENDO. Tried to get my camera out with my free hand, but gave up on trying to capture the moment. Fish did not seem to put up quite the fight of the first, but still worked me pretty good . This one found the gaff. I did not think I could pull on another fish with the 8 footer, so I tried to get within picture range. A couple more spots up and down too quick, so I decided to make my way in. Wind had died and started light onshore. Met up with Arne and got a picture, THANKS Arne, you made the fish look huge

Birds were going from about 7-9:30 From around the corner to the 3/4. The fish were chasing bright green 5-6 inch sardines, I think that Megabait was the best thing I had to throw, although I think I could have got one to hit a potato on the last batch Not sure of exact depth, But I was well off the kelp around 120-140 feet.

Go get em!