Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Exclamation If you spoke at the RSG mtg - finish the job and submit your words!

Hey Guys, Fantatic showing last night...

First, I need to apologize for my absence last night. I had home purchasing, escrow issues that came up literally as I was out the door to pick up Kurt, Tyler, and Corey. I felt terrible (and a little jealous not being a part of an awesome growing movement), but needed to get my business in order, so we can move into to our house as planned this Saturday. I blame my wife, she should of had our business in order! j/k stupid escrow! (I hope she doesn't see this)

It seems the cameras were not rolling for the public record, this pissses me off! Please take the time to follow the instructions below!

Quote:
To my fellow consumptives and spearos - you all made me very proud today. Many of you had wonderful things to say and it was truly wonderful to show the numbers we did!!! Now do me and everyone else a favor:

TYPE UP EVERYTHING YOU GOT UP TO SPEAK ABOUT AND SUBMIT IT AS PUBLIC COMMENT!!!! YOU CAN EMAIL IT TO THE RSG, SAT, AND/OR BRTF.

Finish the job and submit your well thought-out words! Especially if you did not have enough time to speak.

Don't know if anyone noticed, but we were not filmed/recorded tonight, as we usually are in regular meetings. Thus, if you do not submit your speeches as written comment, you will be a faded memory, as they recover from lack of sleep.

Here is how to submit your comments:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/publicinvolvement_sc.asp

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/contact_sc.asp
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Already did that last night.

I had a typed speech, that I ended up not reading most of. I signed it, added my address and submitted it.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Smile

By the way, even if you could not make last nights meeting

You can still submit comments as described above.

Let's flood their email!!!

MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

Btw, be sure to mention how much money you spend on fishing: Local tackle, gas, ice, food, etc. each year.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Corey

I will do that tonight when I get home, Chris. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Billy V

I submitted into record about 100 signed proposals in support of Draft Proposal "A" last night, but not my speech.

I found it highly suspicious that they decided Not to record the 200 people who spoke their public comments last night.
-Like they knew they were going to get their arse handed to them.

That Ken Wiseman look pissed about all the Kayakers that actually showed up to speak on behalf of our sport.

Literally asking......
"I see there are a lot of Kayakers here, Can you have just one person speak on behalf of your little club"
-The answer to that was of course F*uk* No.
and We parade Up there 1 at a time to say our message.

There were some moving speeches that were read, and spoken directly from the heart. There was impact in these words
-There were Kayak Fisherman, and Woman.
-Astute children, namely Clay, one of our own.
-Disabled kayak fisherman
-Kayak Fishing Guides
-Old Fisherman who have seen and experienced decades of Ocean use.
-Spearfisherman, both free divers, and divers alike who testafied on what they actually see under water, and how robust the marine population is in their dive spots.
-Lobster Fisherman, and Commercial Fisherman, sometimes brought to tears as they described the impending Doom they are facing with these closures.
-Business Owners like OEX who will be impacted hard, and directly as the death bell continues to rattle the sound of MLPA Closures.
and more.........

Its working....Keep sticking it to THEM! Stay in their face!
Join us at these meetings and be heard, or remain silent when you are chopping up your Fishing Kayak for recycling.

There is no excuse for members of BWE not to take this challenge head on. We stand to lose alot, actually we stand to lose Everything as it pertains to Fishing La Jolla, and More.

I would like You to join us at these Public Comment Meetings, and briefly speak for the 1 or 2 minutes of time they will allow.
-What can I offer personally to persuade you. Show you my fishing spots, teach you how to catch quality fish. I already do that every time I see a fellow kayak fisherman at the launch, or on the water, and so do many of our other local kayak fisherman- without going into names.

-Even as recent as Yesterday Morning, did I put a 1st. Timer on a Big Fish in one of my spots just to watch his expression change.

Its Time, don't just wait for a meeting to show up in your back yard. They are not going to make it that easy for you.

They would rather hold the meetings in New Jersey than Southern California, just to prevent you from speaking the heartfelt truth, and trying to Steal Your Fishing Rights.

If I don't see 100 hundred members at the San Diego and Carlsbad meetings I am going to cut my kayak in half and nail it to the bulkhead at the La Jolla Shores Launch as a reminder of how badly our sport was wrecked.

Don't make me ruin a perfectly good Hobie Revo.
Please.
Help Us.

Billy V

Last edited by Billy V; 05-20-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Another thing...
I don't think ceding time is the best idea anymore. I came to that conclusion last night when they tried to have one guys speak for all of us then brush us aside. We should really parade one guy after another, to show how many people we have, and to really hammer our points through their dense peabrains.

Maybe cede time if someone has a long presentation that encompasses our whole situation, but I really think one guy at a time speaking is important to show our strength. Almost none of us are public speakers, but everyone makes a difference speaking for a minute or less.

also, we were told they might get annoyed and interupt us with "we've heard this before" if we all harped on the same point. Our response was going to be, "it's important enough for you to hear again though to make sure you get it." They didn't call us out on it.

Thank you to Paul and MJ, and to all of you that showed up.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Can you have just one person speak on behalf of your little club"

Did Ken Wiseman really say this? What a passive agressive, elitist ass. He is the Executive Director? very professional. This alone should fire up everyone to attend and speak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Another thing...
I don't think ceding time is the best idea anymore.
I am with Tyler on this. Everyone needs to speak, keep sending our message, it needs to be heard over and over, to pound it in their heads, we are not going away, and are invested in this process.

However, if you truly have a public phobia in speaking, attending the meeting is good enough, we will find someone long winded to use your time. Also, you can also submit a written statement to Kelly Sayce, the MLPAI outreach person.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
landwhale

At the start of public comment Mr Wiseman stated that there are alot of kayakers here from San Diego and we should consider having one person speak for us all.............and the fact that this meeting and todays are not being made available via the web service is an outrage thank you all that made the trip up to speak I wish we had more concern from the OC LA Ventura area their desire to close Newport to Dana Point because it is the only habitat of its kind in the State is shameful it should be shared it was made more evident last nigh that the money people are trying to buy closures in their favorite area and if nothing else we need to publicly call them on it.North PV Point Dume and BKR need to be shared not sealed off hopfully those from the baytubers and I can plant that seed Thursday...........

Steve

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Did Ken Wiseman really say this? What a passive agressive, elitist ass. He is the Executive Director? very professional. This alone should fire up everyone to attend and speak!

I am with Tyler on this. Everyone needs to speak, keep sending our message, it needs to be heard over and over, to pound it in their heads, we are not going away, and are invested in this process.

However, if you truly have a public phobia in speaking, attending the meeting is good enough, we will find someone long winded to use your time. Also, you can also submit a written statement to Kelly Sayce, the MLPAI outreach person.
Tyler is 100% Correct.
Ken Wiseman sent Kelly Sayce out to make that comment about "Try not to repeat the same point over and over, or they May get annoyed"
-BTW Kelly is a good person, and worked with Us to easily allow documents into the public record. Not Old Kenny Boy.

Annoyed?? Annoyed? You want to see annoyed. Don't get me started.
-I should thank Ken Wiseman for making it so Clear how he is trying to d98chebag us Kayak Fisherman.

He got to see it 1st. hand last night as He, and just about everyone else was there until the wee hours of the morning still listenting to us....The Public....who were there to give Public Comment.
--Oh I get it Now, Ken really doesn't want Us to Publically Speak, at the Meetings that are designed to hear Public Comment.
-He wants us to go away and die somewhere.

Yes he did say that about our club....He didn't use the word little, but his remark was in that vein.
-We are just as Important as the SHEEPSCRAB, that dopey Old lady was talking about from Laguna Beach.
---------------------------------
Its an easy thing to walk up and say your name and what is Important to You regarding your Fishing Grounds, Kayak Launch, Family Tradition, Safety, etc.

-You would not have any problem saying something to a person who walked up to your kayak and swiped a fishing pole from the rod holder.
This is the same thing, they are swiping your fishing spot. Forever.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Yes Ken really said something like that . Hey, they scheuled a special session more accesible for the public, to hear from the public, and we let them hear it.

Another thing, maybe we shouldn't have turned in most of our speaker cards together? It was cool to speak one after another to hammer the point home, but then we were kind of done. Don't know what's best.

That three arches lady wanting to keep people off her beach was a joke, but really sad. There were lots of Laguna residents speaking for closures in the OC area of their private beaches . Good news for us in LJ was that no LJ residents spoke in favor of closures in LJ that I remember.

Kelly Sayce and the other guy that are doing public outreach are very helpful. They haven't shown any bias as far as I have seen and have informed us as to what is going on.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I posted up to Jeff, socal shaggy about that very idea on Baytubers...

Let's not forget what this thread is about... Simple email guys! Flood their inboxes today!

MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

TYPE UP EVERYTHING YOU GOT UP TO SPEAK ABOUT AND SUBMIT IT AS PUBLIC COMMENT!!!! YOU CAN EMAIL IT TO THE RSG, SAT, AND/OR BRTF.

Finish the job and submit your well thought-out words! Especially if you did not have enough time to speak.

Don't know if anyone noticed, but we were not filmed/recorded tonight, as we usually are in regular meetings. Thus, if you do not submit your speeches as written comment, you will be a faded memory, as they recover from lack of sleep.

Here is how to submit your comments:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/publicinvolvement_sc.asp

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/contact_sc.asp
Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
PAL

I'm feeling more or less destroyed after this three day marathon MLPA session, but now that I finally have a minute to log on, there's something that has to be said. The guys who turned out on Tuesday, some of whom stuck around all the way to the bitter end at 1 am, and the people who took time off work to hit today's meeting, did a lot to help save southern California kayak fishing - for now at least.

Thank-you for supporting your RSG reps. The impression you made went a long way toward keeping our popular launch and fishing sites off most of the round 2 maps. I say again, MOST. Closures at La Jolla, BKR, the north side of Palos Verdes, and Dana Pt live on. I think I saw Leo there too.

If you want to keep fishing your spots, plan on continuing your efforts.

My hats off to you - it takes a lot of effort to get to one of these meetings to speak your piece. Trust me, its worth it.

See you at the upcoming workshops. Start planning now, they are set for the end of June and the first few days of July.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
DESTROYER

Not sure this will help, but this is what I sent. I spoke from the heart.

Hello, My name is Matthew Moyer and I am the Food and Beverage Director and Executive Chef of La Jolla Country Club. I have been there for over 8 years and I am an avid kayak fisherman. The great thing about my job is that I can make a difference. I never use bluefin tuna or chilean sea bass for the simple fact that it is over fished. I make it a point to conserve and educate the membership which they enjoy. What you are proposing is a SHAME! Why would you take something so beautiful away from us kayakers who by the way do not run engines, gas, or oil which pollutes our oceans. You may toss what I'm writing straight into your trash , but you should take a minute and step back and realize that it is the Seiners and Gill Netters that are raping the seas. Have you ever gone for a dive. The Calico Bass population is thriving as well as the White Sea Bass population. I've seen more Black Sea Bass caught and released than ever before in the past few years. The problem is that everything always has to be so black and white when extremist needs meet anglers needs. I propose stricter regulations on take. Make calico bass catch and release or make a slot limit. Make White Sea Bass so that a angler can only take 2 per year. With these closures comes great sadness that I will never be able to take my 2 year old son Maddox to La Jolla to fish, because once it is closed, thats it. Please, Please rethink what you are about to do. You are not only affecting anglers, but small business owners, tackle shops, lure manufactures, and the future angler that will never be taught how to conserve and to take only what they need. Thank you for taking the time to hear me out.

Sincerely, Matthew Moyer

619-990-3663
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
La Jolla Kayak Fishing Pro Staff
Reebs Lure Pro Staff
Ballast Point Fishing Team
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
Billy V

I sent the MLPA some more E Mail this morning, and asked that it also be added to the Public Record regarding the MLPA Process.

It took 2 minutes of my time, I know it can make a difference.

Thanks Guys for writing to them, and speaking up at the meetings.
It our only chance to save our fishing spots forever.

Start planning to make the 2 Meeting at San Diego Locations.

We Need Every Member Here at Big Water's Edge to Show Up and Say Something.

-I don't want to cut my Hobie is half.
-------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
This is their response.
Follow THEIR Procedure in this Chess Match.

Thank you for your message to MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov. Email is
checked by a real person several times a week for public comments
(versus spam).

Public comments are usually posted to the MLPA website
(www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa) within a week; we reserve the right to not post
comments if they contain profanity, personal attacks or are not relevant
to the MLPA Initiative.

The MLPA Initiative is not a state regulatory or administrative process.
Your comments are important and will be considered in the development of
marine protected area proposals during the MLPA Initiative planning
process; however, they will not be summarized or responded to in a
formal fashion. A more formal review and response to comments received
during the state regulatory process will be conducted when MPA proposals
are being considered by the California Fish and Game Commission.

If you have any questions, please call the MLPA Initiative office at

Thanks and make it a great day!

Last edited by Billy V; 05-22-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
Matt
Support your local pangas

Just wrote my new speech, and will gladly mail it, also I will not miss a single meeting that allows public interaction and oh yea SCREW THE MLPA!!