Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
30lbbg2299

diamond valley striper?

I wanna catch my 1st striper and I think this lake will help me. What bait should I throw come December and the trout planting months?? Are the striper deeper when there are trout plants? so like a huddelston or a more weighted bait that would get to the bottom or are they up top so a bait like a bbz 1 would work?? Renting a boat most likely.
30lbbg2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Just my 2 cents

If u want a dd, throw a swimbait the day of or day after a trout plant around the marina. If your arm isn't sore from casting at the end of the day, u didn't cast enough. And if u do throw the swimmies, dont be aftaid of the skunk. It WILL happen. If u just want a striper, of the 2-6lb range, do like everyone else and drop cut bait fly lined at the inlet tower around 100ft give or take. If u know how to troll though, that's the money maker.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

I've never fished for them personally but i know many have success trolling umbrella rigs exclusively.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Dail14

Be aware that sit on tops are not allowed in Diamond Valley Lake. You need a sit in or boat. It is really not worth trying for stripers from shore unless you are just going at the moment of stocking to cast swimbaits to the ambushing stripers.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

^ sounds about right...

Quote:
. Only sea kayaks shall be allowed on the lakes and shall be launched only from authorized launch ramps or
areas. Sea kayaks must be at least 10 feet in length and provide seating for all passengers inside the craft.
Kayaks must be identified as stable by lake personnel prior to being allowed on the lakes. Rolling over of
kayaks in the water is prohibited.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
boxturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30lbbg2299 View Post
I wanna catch my 1st striper and I think this lake will help me. What bait should I throw come December and the trout planting months?? Are the striper deeper when there are trout plants? so like a huddelston or a more weighted bait that would get to the bottom or are they up top so a bait like a bbz 1 would work?? Renting a boat most likely.
go to silverwood
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
kareem korn

I fished DVL for the three years the lake was too low for boat launching. I basically had it to myself with the exception of the rental boats. I fished from an Old Town Loon, 13' I think. It was a sit inside but I felt no different fishing from it than a sit on top. I would throw out a swim bait on one side and a triple joint hard bait on the other and just slow paddle along the damn. Great times.
You can pick up a nice sit inside for a couple hundred. I would recommend it.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=4146
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=4270

You can catch the linesides in most coves early when their balling up the shad. Use a 3" swimbait in the anchovie color.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxturtle View Post
go to silverwood
X2
Old 09-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
BillzBaitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxturtle View Post
go to silverwood
X3
I have trolled Silverwood and had good luck.. Troll Cleghorn Cove and Millers Cove and if you are up for it Chamis Cove down by the inlet area.
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
30lbbg2299

thanks guys I really got tips for both lakes so it look like I will try and fish them both for stripers. Who knows maybe ill get a beginners luck at both lakes on the hunt for stripes. another question I have is.. when you get a trout stock what bait do you use then? a heavier model like a huddelston or a bbz 1 floater with split rings to get her just beneath the surface???
30lbbg2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30lbbg2299 View Post
thanks guys I really got tips for both lakes so it look like I will try and fish them both for stripers. Who knows maybe ill get a beginners luck at both lakes on the hunt for stripes. another question I have is.. when you get a trout stock what bait do you use then? a heavier model like a huddelston or a bbz 1 floater with split rings to get her just beneath the surface???

If you're fishing the trout plants use a slow sink big swimbait or a Lunker Punker and walk the dog. It's early but I'm already getting the itch for stripers as well. They gotta be the most frustrating species to target though. Get a rental with a fish finder and drop spoons on the schools you come across if all else fails.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Typically I like to throw a slow sinking triple trout, as I love the action and its my favorite swimbait. But honestly, throw the hudd in rainbow or holdover ROF5, slow rolled, they will come.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
t-$money bussard

ac plugs work great. and a backup plan is flylined chovies, for the schoolies.
http://www.acplugs.com/ac-plugs-store-category-3.html
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote