Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
BigBalsa
Junior

Simply Making Bait

To All:
I am looking for some details on how to "quickly" fill my bait tank. You know, the stuff everyone seems to take for granted -

For example, where to jig (in the pier pilings? xyz feet of water? inside edge of kelp line? just past shorebreak? outside kelp? in open water?), what to jig with (sabiki rig is pretty much standard, but what size hooks and /or patterns?), how to jig (send it straight down? cast it? just let it dangle? yo-yo?) and should I try tipping the hooks with some squid or something enticing?

Also, it seems the general consensus is to favor the greenback mackerel over spanish, and either of those over anything else except live squid (candy)?

So far most of my time on water has been spent farming for bait , rather than fishing with bait. Sorry, no pictures yet.

Any advice is appreciated.
BigBalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
flydigital

At LJ I have a standard routine of sibiki jigging right past the second reserve buoy, and usually fill my tank in short order. If that isn't working out I go further west along the kelp line until I find decent bait. They start hitting the jig when there is some light out, just before sunrise. You can find bait just about anywhere near structure really but those spots work for me. I am always looking for 8-10" greenbacks. Spanish work too but not as well IMO. The greenies are more lively and have worked better for me to catch fish. I usually keep a few spanish but then start throwing them back to make sure I have at least 12 greenbacks in the tank.

Sometimes making bait is really hard... in that case I'll keep whatever I can get. Keeping a can of cat food on hand for chumming can help when its tough.

I use anything from a size 14 to a size 8 hook sibiki. In my experience it doesn't make much difference. Using a 3oz torpedo on the bottom. If I'm having trouble finding bait I drop the jig to the bottom and troll around at various speeds until I find them. A fishfinder works wonders to find them and get at the right depth.

If you've found them and are making bait, usually they will school by every couple minutes in the general area, so keep at it through the 'lulls', they will be back (usually).

Good luck, hope that helps a bit...
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
old_rookie

What bait is put on the sabiki?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Sabiki rig looks like little flies tyed to hooks. No bait needed. Weight the bottom of the rig and tye the other end to your like and let them bite it!
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
SGV Rookie

Trout power bait

I keep a jar of trout floating power bait for the sabiki rig. Just make a small ball and smash it on the hooks. So far my luck has increased while using the power bait compared to the bare hook. my 2 cents.
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
PescadorPete

I have had good luck lately with the the Black belt AJK-4 (available at Turners) and the Owner 5525-075 sabikis. If you fish in the morning, be out on the water before grey light. As soon as the light breaks, its like magic, the bait appears. Trust your instincts - this is the right spot I have selected - the bait will appear - be patient grasshopper (I'm not kidding). Drop the rig down at several depths until you feel the "raindrops", the bait pecking at the hooks. Stop and jig up and you will load it up. The kelp just past the buoys works but I usually boogie out to the the farther kelp before I make bait since that is where I fish. You can see them on the fish finder but I usually wait until I hear the rain on the surface and drop down there. The visibility is so good lately you can see the schools below the surface. I have been able to fill the tank on the first stop. That won't be the case later in the season when traditionally it becomes harder to find bait.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
BigBalsa
Junior

Thanks to all

Thanks everyone for sharing your expertise...

I think I was so excited to get to out to the big fish spots, and thought that making bait was like "pulling monkeys from a barrel" - both fun and easy - that I really did not leave my jig in the H2O long enough! Sent it down, reeled it up, nada. Paddled to a new spot, same thing. Before I knew it, everyone else is heading back to shores with their booty, and I am still trying to add to my one freaking lonely spanish in the tank.

And great tips on the chum and powerbait - I am definitely going to give them both a try! Maybe now I can make enough to share...
BigBalsa is offline   Reply With Quote