Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
NICKWORN

Mirage Drive Tension

So i have played around with the different tension levels on the drive and think I'm preferring them snug to the top. It seems to have less drag and a lot easier on my legs for long trips. Short strokes work great at this setting.

However with the tension bolt almost completely down I got a ton more speed ( not really worried about that) but seems to tire my legs out a lot quicker. And smaller strokes weren't as effective as long strokes-no homo

Whats everyone's thoughts?

Is getting so close I can smell the butter melting
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
WestFork

Interesting! Not to beat on the obvious, but if you're going faster you must be putting in more effort. So, your legs should feel tired quicker. Don't have the drive available right now and haven't tried changing tension. It does make me wonder whether you have changed the length of the swing arc of the fins.
WestFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
FISH11

I also have over the last 2 years tried tightening the adjustmet so the turbo fins are tighter and have less flex. That position give my Revo more top speed, but short or long strokes don't matter, it's the extra effort on the legs. You don't feel it at first but after some time, sometimes it's 3 or more hours later, I start to feel a quad or calf muscle. I have had it happen to were I now find a happy medium that won't give me any muscle pain or cramp. That would be the last thing I would want, if there are 3 or more miles to get back to the launch at LJ.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

I run mine in the middle. Just a tad on the tight side.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

As of early last year this feature is not a factor any more as there is no fin tension adjustment except on the very first run of the MD180.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtop...ing+turbo+fins