Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Yakin

How To Make a Sabiki Rod HELP

I'm trying to Figure out how to make a sabiki rob
and seen a bunch of videos on youtube but they seem really not so good
SO anyone got any good ideas?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

I believe we just had this discussion recently, I have a shortened version available from OEX, a 6-8 footer cut down to 5 ft I think, works fine, you have to modify the sabiki to fit all inside rod, kind of a hassle, I usually bring a sabiki and use one of the rods I brought to make bait and put the sabiki away when done, it's nice to have a dedicated sabiki, but it takes up a rod holder and they are a bit cumbersome.
Others have made them out of pvc again cumbersome, I guess it will come down to personal preference...
In a kayak, I doubt I would buy a dedicated sabiki rod again having done
it already
Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I believe we just had this discussion recently, I have a shortened version available from OEX, a 6-8 footer cut down to 5 ft I think, works fine, you have to modify the sabiki to fit all inside rod, kind of a hassle, I usually bring a sabiki and use one of the rods I brought to make bait and put the sabiki away when done, it's nice to have a dedicated sabiki, but it takes up a rod holder and they are a bit cumbersome.
Others have made them out of pvc again cumbersome, I guess it will come down to personal preference...
In a kayak, I doubt I would buy a dedicated sabiki rod again having done
it already
Well I have the Hobie PA so I thought having a dedicated sabiki would would out great keeping it in the horizontal rod holders till needed?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
TJones

cut it down

i bought an 8 footer which is way to long . with 2 or 3 ounces of weight at eight foot length , fixed in a rod holder , that thing is swinging around like crazy. on top of a kayak and it is like a fulcrum. add 4 - 6 crazy macs and it is out of control. dedicated sibiki rod is a plus if you have the space. because you do not have a a bunch of hooks snagging everything. so i cut mine down , along with the sibiki . 3 or 4 macs is more than a handful . they sell a 6 footer like mentioned above , but i would agree that a little shorter is better. i will try to snap some pictures of mine.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
Well I have the Hobie PA so I thought having a dedicated sabiki would would out great keeping it in the horizontal rod holders till needed?
Well since you are ridin around in that fishing machine, call OEX and get
a cut down version, I believe it was 40-60 bucks, nice rod
Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
sharjak

Sabiki Rod
SKU: 2484-0112

For use with any sabiki rig, the line reels through the center of the rod, keeping the sabiki rig fully contained inside the rod when not in use. Great for keeping the hooks contained when launching through the surf, or storing the rod under deck. These 5.5 ft. rods are shortened from 8 ft. to make them more manageable when kayak fishing.
PRICE: $69.95
Quantity:

Or order online
sharjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

forget the sabiki rod. Just cut you your sabikis in half.

There are numerous reasons why I prefer to fish with half a sabiki (3 hooks)

It's much easier to remove 3 big macs in a timely manner and get them safely into the bait tank than 6 of them

6 mackerel on the line tangles more often than 3

The last fish you remove from hook # 6 is not going to be in very good condition and will die faster than the rest.

A 3 hook sabiki set up with a 1 oz war baits lead head is easy to store, won't tangle or foul your other rods, and can be cut off and tied back on in a pinch should you need another rod for something other than bait. Plus: for the people really worried about not catching 6 baits at a time, with the lead head you will often catch a forth mackerel.

Not to mention that depending on how long you go between fishing trips your sabiki hooks might rust out: the barbs (which are tiny) will disappear. It always seems like a waste to me when that happens. Replacing rusted sabiki adds up. I like to use my sabikis more than once if possible.

So not only do you avoid tangles, but you end up with better quality bait, and you get two sabikis for the price of one.

In reality sabiki rods just take up a spot that could be filled with another functional rod

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post

It's much easier to remove 3 big macs in a timely manner and get them safely into the bait tank than 6 of them

The last fish you remove from hook # 6 is not going to be in very good condition and will die faster than the rest.

A 3 hook sabiki set up with a 1 oz war baits lead head is easy to store, won't tangle or foul your other rods, and can be cut off and tied back on in a pinch should you need another rod for something other than bait. Plus: for the people really worried about not catching 6 baits at a time, with the lead head you will often catch a forth mackerel.

Not to mention that depending on how long you go between fishing trips your sabiki hooks might rust out: the barbs (which are tiny) will disappear. It always seems like a waste to me when that happens. Replacing rusted sabiki adds up. I like to use my sabikis more than once if possible.

So not only do you avoid tangles, but you end up with better quality bait, and you get two sabikis for the price of one.

In reality sabiki rods just take up a spot that could be filled with another functional rod
==================

Totally agree !~

You don't need one. Just use 3 hooks in a cheap setup. (stick on some foam on each hook).
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
maui jim

X2
Old 03-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post

I think I will take your advice a lot easier as my pocket!!
Thanks Dos!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
I have a PA also and wanted a dedicated Sabiki rod to put in in one of the 6 empty horizontal holders safe and out of the way. They have nice Sabiki rods at Charkbait on Midway Dr - house brand - I got the bigger diameter one....$74
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
taggermike

I double duty one of my bait rods as my sibiki rod. I figure I won't be bait fishing until I've made bait. I cut my sibikis in half as well. I have spent WAY to long pulling those damn little hooks out of every damn thing on the kayak including myself that 1/2 the hook=1/2 the trouble and yields plenty of baits. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote