Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
Milad Marrone

YoYo Setup

Hey guys,
I am in the market for another rod and reel and I want to get one specifically for yoyo jigging. I bought a new Salas 6x Jr in Scrambled egg, which I heard works really well. I don't know what rod, reel, or line to get for my new setup. Can you guys help me out?
All of your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Milad Marrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Ggiannig89

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=iron
A really good write up that people tend to miss on this site. Good luck
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:36 AM   #3
_Obed
Bird nest master

Got a budget?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad Marrone View Post
Hey guys,
I am in the market for another rod and reel and I want to get one specifically for yoyo jigging. I bought a new Salas 6x Jr in Scrambled egg, which I heard works really well. I don't know what rod, reel, or line to get for my new setup. Can you guys help me out?
All of your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Good lure to start with is what I would say.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Milad Marrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
Got a budget?

Not really...as long as it doesn’t cost like over 700 i’ll be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
"Dec’03-Jan’04: You could set your watch by the bite time. It was in 90-100’ of water, straight off the hotel, from 6:45am to 8am. If you were there during that time in that place you caught or saw yellows caught.

Feb’04: Lobster pots were removed from the January spot and the bite moved about 200 yds SW. Bite time was 9am. Saturday Feb. 7th there were 80 guys there at 7am. At 8:45am the birds piled up outside and 74 guys went jumbo mackerel fishing and deserted the kill zone. At 9am the fish came through right on schedule and all 6 guys that stayed hooked or caught a fish.

Jan ’05: The area wasn’t so defined, but 8am-9am was the time. General location was 110- 120’ of water past the hotel where you could just see Point Loma extending outside Bird Rock. There were about 5 lobster traps there.

Dec ’05: Who can forget the “December Spot.” All you wanted for two weeks from 6:30am to 8am daily. If you didn’t want to make squid you could get there at 6:30am and find your fishing lane, and then stop fishing at 8am and paddle in."

What a time to have been a kayak fisherman! #PMShift

I like 6 1/2 ft seeker 30 40 80 rod with sealine, saltist 40, torium 20, avet (insert reel co) of simliar size reel, 40lb straight mono, or top shot with braid single speed 6:1 unless you want to waste money on 2 speed.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
_Obed
Bird nest master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad Marrone View Post
Not really...as long as it doesn’t cost like over 700 i’ll be good

I would recommend an overhead reel only cuz it sucks to yoyo a spinner on a yak* reel being underhand sort of gets in the way if your not use to it. The new torium 14 is my future yak yoyo reel so i recommend that beast. Rod wise... since there are too many right answers i tend to look for these specs. go for this type of blank. 6'6 tc4 or tc2 carbon construction and rated for 100#.

Good luck man see you on the water

_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
Milad Marrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
I would recommend an overhead reel only cuz it sucks to yoyo a spinner on a yak* reel being underhand sort of gets in the way if your not use to it. The new torium 14 is my future yak yoyo reel so i recommend that beast. Rod wise... since there are too many right answers i tend to look for these specs. go for this type of blank. 6'6 tc4 or tc2 carbon construction and rated for 100#.

Good luck man see you on the water

I picked up a super seeker and a shimano torium 20 today. Looks awesome

Old 03-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
Milad Marrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post

What a time to have been a kayak fisherman! #PMShift

I like 6 1/2 ft seeker 30 40 80 rod with sealine, saltist 40, torium 20, avet (insert reel co) of simliar size reel, 40lb straight mono, or top shot with braid single speed 6:1 unless you want to waste money on 2 speed.

I bought a super seeker and a shimano torium 20. You read my mind man

Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
AndyK
Junior

Best combo

I have shimanos, avets, you name it, I can tell you that the best bang for the buck for Yo-Yo jigging and surface iron fishing is going to be a LEXA 400 and a Diawa Proteus heavy 8ft Boat rod. It casts a mile, and can handle huge fish. Its not too expensive and you can really beat the crap of out it. The level-wind keeps this simple so youre not having to thumb line back and forth.

I've caught more big YT on that set up than anything else and am always grabbing it.

That is pretty much what would be my go-to kayaking set up because god forbid you lose it its not going to be insanely expensive to replace.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

My favorite setup for an heavy jig is a Shimano Tyrnos 2speed and a kencor 20-40. I also like a 10-30 Kencor Zibra with a Penn 525 Mag, if there is a chance of surface boils. A Tyrnos will cast alright but not as well as the Penn Mag, but they are bulletproof. They have a ton of power on low and more then fast enough on high speed, and they are relatively cheap off ebay.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 04-02-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Penn fathom lever drags are solid yo-yo reels. I have a 25n and a 40n both two speed. Tons of power, never have to worry about anti reverse, drag, etc. Two speed reels aren’t very necessary on a kayak but if you ever fish on a boat, you can take advantage of it. I just bought my 40 for $170 out the door. A reel capable of taking a cow bluefin, but also very good reel for yo-yo Fishing yellowtail. For rods, so many options but something between 6’6”- and 7’6” and rated for somewhere between 30-60lbs. Glass, graphite, composite, just depends what you like.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote