Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

I have a problem... [rockfish report]

... I can't get any other rockfish than reds!

I only recently learned that there are rockfish to be had outside the Newport area, so I've hit it up about 5 times in the past week and a half and have limited each time on, you guessed it, reds.

Now I know that we all like reds, but for the sake of variety... how do I catch the other varieties? Coppers, barbers, starries, trees, browns, etc. I have caught them all on squid or live sardines on sport boats in the past. I see reports on here of people catching some toad coppers, so I'd love to hear about different tactics, if there are any.

I don't want people to start thinking I'm posting the same fish over and over (like some do). Anyways, here's a brief report of my last few trips:

Depth- 180-213'
Direction- either south or west. One direction has less fish but bigger grade, and the other direction has more fish but smaller grade. You can figure that part out pretty easily
Bait- single 3" squid strips on a 4/0 octopus hook, heads didn't work as well and neither did a bunch of strips on a hook. Also tried slabs of mackerel with great success.
Weight- 12-16oz for fast drops and vertical lines.

If you want to learn more or go hit up the grounds, one of the better ways to contact me is over Instagram. Give me a follow @nomad.fish

Last edited by StrikerMC; 04-21-2020 at 09:52 AM.
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Other species can be had by fishing with shrimp(sheephead) and fishing with larger swimbaits(>6") with a strip of squid(ling).
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
Salty

Try this: Double dropper with 6-8oz weight. On one loop, put a shrimp on a size 2 treble, on the other a piece of squid (Or slab of mac? Havn't tried that!).
If you want to try something different, I've had some fun with is this setup: Rig a 3-way swivel onto your line. On one end, put about 12-14" of leader and tie on a small (1/2oz-3/4oz) tube bait (I've been using hookup baits). On the other end, tie a littler longer leader (18") and put on a larger tube bait (5/8oz-1.5oz). Test the rig just under the surface and bounce it a few times to see how they react to your movements. The ideas is that when you jig it up, the baits run at each other, then away when you drop the tip, making it look like the bigger bait is attacking the smaller one. When you're over structure, send it down and bounce it just off the bottom the same way, using slightly more exaggerated movements to compensate for line stretch in deeper water. If I'm in deeper water or stronger drift, I use heavier jigs. I assume this works with swimbaits and other soft baits too, but I've only tried it with Hookup baits. (Red/Yellow has worked best for me, my buddy has had more luck with neon green. Been told white works well too).
If anyone has any suggestions for how I can improve this setup too, that would be great stuff to learn!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
Salty

Oh, and don't forget to liberally apply and reapply some nice, smelly juice in the tubes! Red Crab juice is what's worked for me.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
Saba Slayer

three way...

Use the Owner three way swivel and you'll be happier with the double rig...rather than using the old style 3 way and you'll have less tangles too...
Attached Images

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
BenCantrell

There's a pretty good variety of rockfish species in the 100-150 ft depth range. Try mixing up the depths and I'm sure you'll get something other than vermilion.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
summers in kuwait

nothing wrong with being consistent

As others have mentioned, altering your bait, lure, etc. will produce alternate results

Wanna really change things up? Hit those same honey holes with a single dropper loop or spider hitch with live greenbacks or sand dabs if you can catch them.

Then hold on!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #8
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Use the Owner three way swivel and you'll be happier with the double rig...rather than using the old style 3 way and you'll have less tangles too...
Good call! I've been using the Owner 3-ways too. Pretty much tangle-free. Would not recommend this setup in kelp though :P
Old 04-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

I am going to grab some of these. I use traditional and even though they are an improvement on the regular dropper (imo), I still hate tangles!
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
Harry Hill

Just wish I had the problem of a stringer full of any kind of fish
Old 04-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
matthew7!

Try flat falls I use the shimano flats falls 250grams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #12
TJones

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Just wish I had the problem of a stringer full of any kind of fish
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

I normally use a double shrimp fly rig with 5/0 hook and a strip of squid. I will try this out next week.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #14
JohnMckroidJr

Nice Catches! Reds are a good problem to have. Back when I fished SoCal in the '80s, most of the rockfish we caught were Boccaccio(salmon grouper). If someone caught a red or two, it was a trophy. Vermillions make for firmer fillets at the end of the day on the cleaning table.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
As others have mentioned, altering your bait, lure, etc. will produce alternate results

Wanna really change things up? Hit those same honey holes with a single dropper loop or spider hitch with live greenbacks or sand dabs if you can catch them.

Then hold on!
interesting. I always get a bunch of sand dabs, i think I will bait one up next time out. thanks for the info
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #16
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
interesting. I always get a bunch of sand dabs, i think I will bait one up next time out. thanks for the info
Lings love them!

summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
Lings love them!

I'm with the lings, I love sand dabs
Old 04-26-2020, 07:17 AM   #18
CorvinaLoca

variation

try a slab of one of the reds you get. and try other baits/depths like people suggested. personally, in deeper water i would avoid 3 way swivel and other potential types of tangles, especially if on a yak. actually prefer setup somebody else mentioned - single spider hitch dropper loop w/ 50-60 lb and at least a 4/0 size hook. you only catch one fish at time. bigger hook mostly keeps the little guys off and if you hook a big sheepshead, or decent ling or yt, you can land it.
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote