Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
TCS

La Jolla Red Tide

I haven’t fished yet this week, but I surfed Scripps this morning and the red tide was INTENSE. Three inch visibility. Buddy went out at LJ yesterday and said the kelp has got the same water.

Any other reports?
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Pocoloco

noticed that watching the surf cam.
wheres the reports?
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
Salty

Fished DP the last 2 weekends. Water didn't clear up until about 2 miles offshore. Found the color break and fished the bottom for a bit and got some really solid bites on squid, but couldn't keep 'em on the hook
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Fished (more like paddled around) today. Red Tide was really bad pretty much everywhere I went. From the pier to the kelp and all over the canyon. 3" visibility might be a stretch in most areas. Lots of bait (mostly Sardines) popping at the surface, but they could not find the Sabiki with a seeing eye dog. Dropped the camera down a couple places and got no more than 10' down before losing all light. If you have to go, I would recommend glow setups and maybe squid strips for the sabiki. Launching in the dark with the bioluminescence and landing in what looked like the water from a mud bog contest were the highlights.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
Steamin_Seamen
Junior

Anyone Heading out tomorrow? ill be out there being a drinking buoy at worst
Steamin_Seamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Fished (more like paddled around) today. Red Tide was really bad pretty much everywhere I went. From the pier to the kelp and all over the canyon. 3" visibility might be a stretch in most areas. Lots of bait (mostly Sardines) popping at the surface, but they could not find the Sabiki with a seeing eye dog. Dropped the camera down a couple places and got no more than 10' down before losing all light. If you have to go, I would recommend glow setups and maybe squid strips for the sabiki. Launching in the dark with the bioluminescence and landing in what looked like the water from a mud bog contest were the highlights.
Haha.

Thanks Greg.

Yeah I surfed Scripps last night and it was a mess.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post

Sounds nasty but a day on the water is better than a day in front of a screen. Grateful for the work right now but I haven't had a day off in 8 weeks and won't for at least another 4.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
drunkentiger765
Junior

Went out yesterday as well. Just kayaking though no fishing since I wanted to keep it simple the first day out in a while, and the red tide being out.

Launched about 6pm and beach wasnt too bad out. Got a decent sunset in a couple miles off shore. After the sun went down Bioluminescence was awesome. Great time just paddling around playing in it and watching fish and sea lions swim around in it.

Landed about 9:30. Launch was a mess with people hanging out watching the waves. 3 cars side by side using the entrance to launch as a parking lot didnt help as well but was able to squeeze through to pack up. So might not be the best if you are trying to avoid people.

Water was nice and calm out with no wind after dark.

Stay safe all.
drunkentiger765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
FISH11

Yesterday we had to go past about 2 miles west of the La Jolla point to finally be in clearer almost normal water. Had a hard time making normal bait, used jigs most of the day. Caught numerous rock fish and kept a couple. Had a short fun time when a new friend (ED) hooked on when using the only greenback we caught between 3 of us. He hooked onto a Thresher and got taken for a ride, unfortunately too short of a ride as he was using 20lb mono top shot. It never cleared up so spend the day not covered and not cold, but when looking in a mirror late I noticed how sunburned I got. Not having been able to get out since the lock down started my leg, knee ligaments got painful last night and better this morning after having to drag the kayak down and up the sand. This would not have been an issue if we had been able to get out for many weeks and kayak fish then my body would have kept in shape. Still it for made it one of the best days in the last 2 months.
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 04-30-2020 at 02:02 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote