Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
jdvarnold

How many setups do you take?

I always have an issue taking too many rods on the kayak and trying to downsize. Generally I’ll take. Most of the time I will only use 2 or 3 of them.

1. Bass rod for throwing a swim bait
2. Rod for free lining caught bait
3. Rod with an iron for surface fishing or yoyo
4. Dedicated Sabiki rod
5. Rod with 2 oz Carlolina rigged to get love bait deeper.

What are you guys taking?
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
matthew7!

I take two rods with dropper loops.
One rod for sabiki
And one bait caster for whatever shallow water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvarnold View Post
I always have an issue taking too many rods on the kayak and trying to downsize. Generally I’ll take. Most of the time I will only use 2 or 3 of them.

1. Bass rod for throwing a swim bait

2. Rod for free lining caught bait

3. Rod with an iron for surface fishing or yoyo

4. Dedicated Sabiki rod

5. Rod with 2 oz Carlolina rigged to get love bait deeper.

What are you guys taking?

Where are we fishing?
La Jolla
1. Fly line with ringed hook. I clip my sabiki onto the ring this way no tieing or a dedicated rod. I usually don’t stop catching bait until I have enough for the day. 3-20 pieces depending on how hard it is. (Saltist bg-40h. Need high speed retrieve to skip my bait back to my tank when I spot a seal)
2. 3 way bait rig setup.
3. Something setup to yo-yo or troll rapalas.
4. Sometimes a jig stick to throw mega baits /jigs at birds.

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #4
ProfessorLongArms

1) Dedicated Sabiki, though I'm souring on that a bit. mine only fits the tiny hooks with light line and I've been finding greenbacks don't really hole up in the kelp right now and Spanish are just *ok*. Per some really great advice on here, I've been more inclined to take the next rod I mention and tie on a much bigger sabiki with 40lb mainline and drag a flat fall/iron for weight on it.
2) Short, stout medium rod in case I run deep with a star drag and 50' of topshot mono. I can't be trusted to rock fish with flouro. Just a day of missed bites.
3) Medium-fast action rod with a baitcaster for shallower drops. Almost always tied with a 100-120gm flat fall.
4) Live Bait Rig. Lever Drag on a similar rod.

If I'm diving that day, I'll throw 3 and 4 in the hatch in case visibility is crap, or if I'm just looking to make a short day of it.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
Where are we fishing?
La Jolla
1. Fly line with ringed hook. I clip my sabiki onto the ring this way no tieing or a dedicated rod. I usually don’t stop catching bait until I have enough for the day. 3-20 pieces depending on how hard it is. (Saltist bg-40h. Need high speed retrieve to skip my bait back to my tank when I spot a seal)
2. 3 way bait rig setup.

Thats really clever with the ringed hook!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
Thats really clever with the ringed hook!
+1! somehow I read past that scanning the post before bed. That's actually pretty genius and I might give it a go.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
baileybikes

How about rod/reel choices?

I have struggled here - typically use a conventional for trolling and live bait with 60# braid and 20lb mono or flouro leader - 8', medium/fast
I have a budget Daiwa spinning combo for casting irons with 60# braid + flouro leader. I have been shopping for a replacement - suggestions?

Like others mentioned - will just attach the sabiki to the swivel on either setup leaving the lure or hook on there. That said - i don't produce bait as well as many of the others i fish with....

I don't have a PA so i have been trying to reduce the amount of tackle and gear i carry. I have been looking for decent lure/leader holders as well but other than the pool noodle thing, i haven't found anything that can handle the range of surface irons to rapalas that I use...
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #8
jdvarnold

How are you storing the sabiki after using it if not on a sabiki rod? Just tossing it?
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
SoCalEDC

1. light spinning set up - 4000 sized spinning reel (daiwa bg4000 or shimano sonora, pretty affordable) and 12-25# 7 foot ugly stick BWS. This is kind of an all around inshore combo. I throw swim baits, drop shots, sabiki, and ill do some shallower up to 150' drops for rock fish with it (very fun). its an absolute blast to catch white fish on this thing. I will usually tie the sabiki onto what ever rig is currently on the rod and clip. I actually caught a sand bass like this a few back lol.

when im done with the sabiki, if i want to leave it on, i will just wind the weight around the handle a few times and reel it up taught so that it doesnt snag anything (everything). If i have to take it off i usually wrap it up around my hand loosely and put it in a ziplock. the recovery rate for this method is probably only 10% if that, but i still try and untangle it for a minute or 2 before i open a new one. after 2 minutes i accept that it is trash and get a new one.

2. heavier set up - daiwa sealine 50h and a 7' fenwick pacifikstick 15-40#, 40-50braid, 50# mono top shot and usually a 25-30# leader. i use this for descending rockfish when im fishing for them, and for trolling live baits for halibut, and or fly lining live baits. its pretty versatile and im not much of a gear junky (my grandfather gave me this combo and its probaby 30+ years old, still works so why replace it)

3. Avet SX w/ 65# braid and 7' seeker american series 20-30# rod. almost strictly for jigging. I keep a jig tied on to this all the time. may not bring this with me if im fishing inshore or rock fishing etc.

4. Penn fierce II live liner on a 7 foot 20-40# spinning rod - 50# braid, no top shot, 3oz egg sinker c-rig, 25-30#leader and a 4/0 circle hook. i exclusively use this rod to troll big macks/rapalas.

5. Okuma coldwater ss line counter on an 7' heavy ugly stick tiger. 50# braid straight to leader. Exclusively use this for rock fishing, maybe one day i will do some salmon fishing with it. Do not recomend it for rockfishing unless you are using the line counter feature, because the retrieval rate is so slow (23" per crank). if I am not rock fishing I dont typically even bother with this set up.

I use snap swivels of some type on every single set up so I can change the terminal tackle easily. when im on the water.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #10
igotpron
Xcoastie

How many setups do you take?

Quote:
How are you storing the sabiki after using it if not on a sabiki rod? Just tossing it?

Ahh yes a very important piece of the puzzle. I got sick of the small sabikis that break off hooks. I started using either 40 or 50lb rigs with larger hook. I think the package says 1/0. Now this sabiki doesn’t break. You can drop straight into the kelp and rip it back out if you get snagged. And when I’m done I throw it in the hull. Wadded up. This sabiki doesn’t tangle and is easily resused. I throw it in the bait tank and rinse at when I return home and use again. Using a 4oz weight is a must to keep tangles down when you have multiple baits hooked up. The larger sabiki does a great job at weeding out all the fish you don’t want an strictly produces nice sized greenbacks. If there finicky I’ll tip with cut Mack or squid to entice the bait. Another reason I’ve been happy in switching to a heavy setup is sometimes I’ll tie up to the kelp and chum the the bait fish. While doing this I’ve caught yellowtail on my sabiki in the rod holder.

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #11
baileybikes

Quote:
I carry three rigs and when done, put it in a plastic bag and sort it out when I get home.
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
Harry Hill

I'm done with the light sabiki after having to dig those hooks out of my skin on too many occasions.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #13
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Sabikis are actually surprisingly easy to manage.... I just recorded this and threw it up to demonstrate. . . Usually I'll loosely wrap it and stuff it into a pocket temporarily. When I get home and I'm freshwater rinsing everything, I'll set it to dry and then wrap it up like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovEC...ature=youtu.be

Napkin and a rubber band. Usually I get all of the hooks on the inside fold, but it doesn't really matter if one is out, as the rubber band will grab it. Surprisingly simple and the 40lb ones can last a dozen plus trips... I've even take some steel wool to them to get rid of rust.

Also in case anyone's asking, I've found the tinsel on the sabiki makes a *night* and day difference on getting noticed and bit.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #14
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Sabikis are actually surprisingly easy to manage.... I just recorded this and threw it up to demonstrate. . . Usually I'll loosely wrap it and stuff it into a pocket temporarily. When I get home and I'm freshwater rinsing everything, I'll set it to dry and then wrap it up like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovEC...ature=youtu.be

Napkin and a rubber band. Usually I get all of the hooks on the inside fold, but it doesn't really matter if one is out, as the rubber band will grab it. Surprisingly simple and the 40lb ones can last a dozen plus trips... I've even take some steel wool to them to get rid of rust.

Also in case anyone's asking, I've found the tinsel on the sabiki makes a *night* and day difference on getting noticed and bit.
what kind of wizardry is this
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #15
Revoguys

This is a great thread. Truthfully I feel the more rods you have the better. I’d rather have a rod I want and not use it then to need it and not have it, you just never know what you’re gonna run into out there. Generally I buy used reels and rods used only for kayak fishing. Then I have my more expensive, newer gear for those full day charters. If you’re worried about losing some gear you can always make your own sabiki rod with pvc pipe and if you flip and that gets lost or breaks cost only $5 bucks. I don’t get to fish often on my kayak so when I finally get out I probably bring too much stuff as well but have no intention of downsizing. Good luck man hope u get it dialed in.
Revoguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #16
C. Cary

I usually take 3 rigs when fishing La Jolla.
lever drag for trolling live bait or rapala
Revo Toro for sabiki and as bass gear or for rock fish
Star Drag TLD 15/30 or similar for iron or as a 2nd live bait troller

With Sabiki's, I wrap on to a pool noodle, keeps the hooks tucked away, easy to store. I thought everyone did the pool noodle.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #17
summers in kuwait

It all depends on where and what Im fishing for. I also will factor in the time of year, weather conditions, etc.

That said, my typical go-to is:

Daiwa BG 4500 spinning combo. I use this for sabiki in the am and then switch this over to my stickbait or surface iron setup. I will also use this setup for jigging or trolling if needed. This typically has 50-65 power pro and 30-40 lb topshot/leader of fluoro or similar.

Flyline setup - Usually my Avet SXJ G2 mounted on a lamiglass tri-flex. This is pretty much always set up with 65 lb power pro and 20-40 lb fluro. 20-30 in the summertime and 30-40 in wintertime. Connected with Alberto knot or spro swivel and usually a 2/0 - 3/0 ringed J hook.

Bottom setup- This is usually my JX on a lamiglass tri-flex. Set up with 65 lb power pro and usually 40-50 lb fluoro or similar. Connected with Alberto knot or spro swivel. I will usually run a dropper loop or reverse dropper loop, but i use the spider knot and a 2/0-5/0 ringed J hook or circle hook and a 4-8 oz sinker. I will also switch this rig up to a Carolina rig, with 1-3 oz egg sinker or knocker rig with up to 1 oz egg sinker. The knocker rig can work really well with squid bites.

summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #18
JohnMckroidJr

Interesting. Here's my Fort Lauderdale routine, for good weather fishing:

1. 7' live bait rod with 30-40lb for fishing deep baits off a downrigger.
2. 7' live bait rod with 20-30lb for surface baits
3. 7.5' semi-collapsable live bait/sabiki rod -- usually with a sabiki on it all day.
4. 7' knife jigging rod with 40-50lb braid
5. 7' knife jigging/slow pitch rod 30lb braid
6. 7' knife jigging rod with 80-100lb braid for pulling groupers and big AJ's away from wrecks.

Although Pilchards(an anchovy sized fish) are usually available, I typically focus of fishing 8"-16" baits such as goggle eyes, Blue runners, Speedos and Little Tunnies. If I get sufficient bait in the morning, rods 1-5 are always used. Rod 6 requires a slack current and a larger bait and is often left out if I don't think the right conditions will be present.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
TJones

brilliant idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
Where are we fishing?
La Jolla
2. 3 way bait rig setup.

gonna try the sibiki trick. thanks. good tip when you are trying to keep it light.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #20
chris138
donkey roper

1. Sibiki - on a Med UglyStik tiger 7' with a seagate or sealine (low end baitcaster) usually has 65# braid and 40 pound mono topshot. I insist that my sibiki rig must be capable of catching a yt.

2. Yoyo - either a heavy iron or a flatfall, 7' tiger MH, saltist size 30, 65# braid to 40# mono leader

3. Carolina Rig - Avet MXJ 5.8:1 single speed, Phenix Axis MH 8', 65# braid, 30# leader either flouro or mono

4. Reverse Dropper Loop - 7' tiger MH, saltist 30, 65# braid, 40# mono topshot

5. Jigstick - 9'3 Ulua, Saltist 40, 65# braid, 40-50# mono top shot
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote