Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
sly

Outback or PA 12/14

Looking for some advice from all you experts that already own hobies. Im trying to either but an Outback or a PA12 or a PA14. Im 5-7 and about 160lbs. Does it make sense to go with a bigger yak or will i just look like a complete retard out there?

I do plan on taking my 6 year old into the bays once in a while and thats why Im considering the PA's.

Im looking into used ones, 2016s or 2017s.

Any help is appreciated.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
igotpron
Xcoastie

Outback or PA 12/14

What’s your method of transport? Car top or truck bed?

I’ve had a couple pa14s. And looking to get another one. By far the most comfortable fishing platform ive fishesd off. I feel the hull is very well balanced and moves rather effortlessly. It does not have the speed of a revo but I can maintain a steady 2-3.5 mph all day. And have had many a 20mile plus days in La Jolla. Lifting a pro angler isn’t that bad if you’re loading it into the bed. Your just lifting half at a time and you unload most of your gear when you get to the vehicle.

My vote is a pro angler. Way more deck space. Good amount of internal storage. Really high seat that keeps your butt dry which is extremely nice! Do some google searches and people have put kid seats on the front and back of the pa. The pa has the extra width and super stable. Not tippy at all. Handy if you got a kid hanging over the side. Depending on how small tour kid is. You could keep them in your lap while you cruise the harbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

Choosing a kayak

IMHO...here are a few thought for you...
The main topics on the seminars that I've done for Hobie at the Fred Hall Shows on choosing a kayak are:
Storage...Transportation...and Launch or Type of Fishing you do...

TRANSPORTATION...
The PA is big and heavy but comfortable as hell......I love mine but if you're planning on car topping it or putting it on a rack all the time alone, you should be sure you can handle the weight and awkwardness of the load...and be sure your rack is up to the job and the weight...
So... for car topping, the Outback has the advantage...it's easy to load either upside down or rightside up with the proper racks and accessories.
I use a really light and maneuverable Malone trailer for my PA 14 and it's soooo easy to load and prep...I travel to the launch with almost everything already in the boat including rods...the Pro Anglers also travel well in the back of a pickup and it's usually not too tough a lift to get it up on the tailgate and slid it in...But with the trailer comes storage...

STORAGE...
The PA is wider and heavier that the Outback and a little bigger deal to store it...especially with a trailer.
Just think about were you'll keep them safely to be sure they stay of of the damaging UV rays of the sun...

LAUNCH & TYPE OF FISHING...
If you're primarily into surf launching and accessing tough to get to spots then the Outback is for you...but if you launch in calm areas and off of docks or ramps or even freshwater lakes maybe you'll want to take advantage of the PA's comfort, stability, and roominess...
Dragging the PA across a long stretch of sand or a rough dirt road is no fun especially if you've got a hairy surf launch after the trek...but the Outback rolls well on the Hobie wheels and is lighter and responds so much better to paddling in the surf.

Regardless of what you've gleaned from any advise, it's still only personal opinions and the best thing to do is go see Andy at OEX and try the kayaks...it's really the only way to make the final decision on what fits you and your lifestyle best...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
spudleydoright
Junior

My Outback is easy to load in my truck for the local trips. I have a Thule rack for when I take multiple boats and getting the Outback up there is no big deal. If I was to get a PA I would likely just get a trailer. My fear would not be the strength to get it onto the rack, it would be punishment my back would take if it were to "get away" from me while loading which, as we all know, is when you blow your back out.

As for fishing, my Outback is great in all conditions I've encountered in the local harbors and open water. When the swells pick up and I start seeing the bottoms of trawlers I head in.
spudleydoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
sly

car top

I do plan on transporting in on top of the car and plan on fishing mainly in La Jolla.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
matthew7!

Love my pa this is how I transport it. On my car

matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post

Love my pa this is how I transport it. On my car

wow I don't know if I would ever relax with that loaded that way. I'm not knocking your method. I'm just a worrier when I put a load up high
Old 05-09-2020, 06:54 AM   #8
sly

PA

Thanks guys, I decided to go with the PA14. I figured it would be best if I want to take my son out with me.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
boxturtle

Awesome yes always get the biggest one you can handle like what him said about storage and transport.
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote